[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nhl Locked Out

fathobbit

I can't see why Hockey hasn't taken off. It's a fast, hard hitting game. A lot like football, but without all the stopages. Christ, people watch golf and bowling in this country, and that's just boring.

The promoting of hockey is horrible. When the NBA went on strike, hockey did nothing.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long, hard fight. Hopefully hockey survives as, next to football, it's my favorite sport to watch.

I can't see why Hockey hasn't taken off.  It's a fast, hard hitting game.  A lot like football, but without all the stopages.  Christ, people watch golf and bowling in this country, and that's just boring.

The promoting of hockey is horrible.  When the NBA went on strike, hockey did nothing. 

I have a feeling this is going to be a long, hard fight.  Hopefully hockey survives as, next to football, it's my favorite sport to watch.

418251[/snapback]

Too many foreign players maybe? Never really thought of it, but it's one glaring difference from the other major sports. OK, baseball has a pretty large Latin-American contingent, but Basketball and Football are mainly American.

And agreed, the marketing sucks, and for non-enthusiasts, it's very hard to follow on TV.

Hockey is pretty big up here in Michigan. The Red Wings recent history of success has definitely helped that out. There won't be a season this year. That is pretty much written in stone.

When/If hockey comes back, it will look drastically different. There will not be the same number of teams the next time the puck drops.

It will be a long fight.

If Hockey can promote like the NFL, it would be in better shape financially.

But right now, hockey player are getting paid too much for what is gained. Not sure if $$$ amounts of loss reported by owners is accurate, but a loss is a loss; millions are millions.

I heard on Sporting News Radio that if or when hockey comes back, they will have a tighter cap if they hope to survive. Players only willing to take a 5% cut right now, but it will not help. Until NHL can generate the $$$ that the other major sports are doing, Player salaries will have to be lower. It got out of hand past few years.

One thing they could do to help promote is to make the game more interesting by two ways. It has been talked about for quite a while and I am surprised they haven't done it yet.

1. Increase the rink size to olympic size. Olympic size is quite a bit bigger than the NHL.

2. Get rid of the two line pass rule.

With the change of these two items, you would see the game get even faster, higher scoring, more exciting game.

One thing they could do to help promote is to make the game more interesting by two ways. It has been talked about for quite a while and I am surprised they haven't done it yet.

1. Increase the rink size to olympic size. Olympic size is quite a bit bigger than the NHL.

2. Get rid of the two line pass rule.

With the change of these two items, you would see the game get even faster, higher scoring, more exciting game.

420631[/snapback]

Agree, but unless you're a hockey fan, it's still tough to watch on TV. HDTV will make a huge impact on hockey, making it easy to follow even for the less gifted. :D

Agree, but unless you're a hockey fan, it's still tough to watch on TV. HDTV will make a huge impact on hockey, making it easy to follow even for the less gifted. :D

420843[/snapback]

:D

Now you're talking. If HD had been around in the early 90s, Fox never would have had the glowing puck fiasco.