[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any sites allow for Pass Interference scoring in 2021?

kendon.black

Hi. I won't get into my reasoning here, but I'd like to award half the yardage to both the passer and receiver for PI calls. Will any sites allow for this in 2021? Thanks! (MFL told me they can't do it because their stats provider doesn't provide that info, which I thought was strange. I figured a major site like that would get their stats database directly from the NFL and surely that info would be provided.)

26 minutes ago, kendon.black said:

Hi. I won't get into my reasoning here, but I'd like to award half the yardage to both the passer and receiver for PI calls. Will any sites allow for this in 2021? Thanks! (MFL told me they can't do it because their stats provider doesn't provide that info, which I thought was strange. I figured a major site like that would get their stats database directly from the NFL and surely that info would be provided.)

MFL probably meant they don't get PI yardage breakdowns by passer and intended target. They'd have to do the number crunching and all that. 

Where on the NFL site (or Pro Football Reference, or ESPN.com or other stats pages) have you ever seen this information to assume that MFL and others would have it? 

Again I looked at CBS scoring, I don't see anything for PI under offensive scoring. Not even under defensive scoring. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Where on the NFL site (or Pro Football Reference, or ESPN.com or other stats pages) have you ever seen this information to assume that MFL and others would have it? 

That's a good point. The feed probably wouldn't automatically associate the PI with the passer and receiver. The fantasy football site would have to do it. But the guy from MFL made it sound like they didn't receive any PI data at all. 

From a programming standpoint, if you knew Play X was PI for Y yards, and you knew the intended target, and you knew the passer, it wouldn't be that hard to put it all together. So I'll keep dreaming. Maybe someday... 

Edited by kendon.black

13 hours ago, kendon.black said:

That's a good point. The feed probably wouldn't automatically associate the PI with the passer and receiver. The fantasy football site would have to do it. But the guy from MFL made it sound like they didn't receive any PI data at all. 

From a programming standpoint, if you knew Play X was PI for Y yards, and you knew the intended target, and you knew the passer, it wouldn't be that hard to put it all together. So I'll keep dreaming. Maybe someday... 

Maybe they don't get any PI data at all. Again I'll ask what NFL based stat sites show you anything with specific totals for PI penalty yardage? 

I write computer software for a living, things are never as easy as the end user thinks, and they're often not as easy as the programmer hopes.

I'd suggest you select scoring categories that are actually widely supported rather than come up with obscure scoring categories and then hope some league management site will support it, or make changes to support it. Or you can keep dreaming. ;) 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Again I'll ask what NFL based stat sites show you anything with specific totals for PI penalty yardage? 

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2020&view=team#:~:text=2020 Stats&text=There was an average of,penalties per team league wide.

A quick Google search. First result. You really thought the NFL doesn't keep track of PI penalty yardage?

I write computer software as a hobby, and often think, 'why don't other programmers do things this way?'. I once made and NFL fantasy app for iOS. I looked into getting a stats feed, but it was cost prohibitive. (I can't remember if it was on the order of $100's per month or $1000's.) What I ended up doing (probably illegally) is string-parse a website that had the stats.

You seem to think this scoring category is impossible or nearly-impossible to provide. I think it is either a choice for the developers, or they just haven't thought of it yet. We can agree to disagree about that. No sense in arguing.

I'm not complaining. My original post was just seeking information. 

I'd suggest you select scoring categories that are actually widely supported rather than come up with obscure scoring categories and then hope some league management site will support it, or make changes to support it. Or you can keep dreaming.

Absolutely! I will continue to play with the options provided. And I will also keep dreaming that, one day, I will be able to set up the league that I really want. (I think it's fine to close this post at this point.) Bye.

Edited by kendon.black

21 hours ago, kendon.black said:

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2020&view=team#:~:text=2020 Stats&text=There was an average of,penalties per team league wide.

A quick Google search. First result. You really thought the NFL doesn't keep track of PI penalty yardage?

I write computer software as a hobby, and often think, 'why don't other programmers do things this way?'. I once made and NFL fantasy app for iOS. I looked into getting a stats feed, but it was cost prohibitive. (I can't remember if it was on the order of $100's per month or $1000's.) What I ended up doing (probably illegally) is string-parse a website that had the stats.

You seem to think this scoring category is impossible or nearly-impossible to provide. I think it is either a choice for the developers, or they just haven't thought of it yet. We can agree to disagree about that. No sense in arguing.

I'm not complaining. My original post was just seeking information. 

Absolutely! I will continue to play with the options provided. And I will also keep dreaming that, one day, I will be able to set up the league that I really want. (I think it's fine to close this post at this point.) Bye.

PI yards for a team, sure of course they have stats for that. Now how do you use that to award your yardage to the passer and intended receiver? On each play that involves a PI?  I don't think its impossible, but I can see where the data may not be readily available, and the benefit (who wants it, who will pay for their product because it has this feature) is far outweighed by the cost to do it. 

Oh boy an amateur programmer, and you wonder why other programmers don't do things your way....probably because they need their product to work in the real world, where people pay for things. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I've been doing this for 30+ years and have come across people who sound like you often. In this case you're not a customer so I don't have to mince words ;)