[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Justin Fields impressing at Bears minicamp

Wolverines Fan

Tweets from Mark Potash, a longtime Bears beat guy from the Chicago Sun-Times.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

So when does he start? Week 1, 5? 

Another report says Dalton will get reps with the first team offense when camp opens.

Can he hold Fields off thru camp?

I think it's Dalton's job to lose. He gives them the best chance to win now But if they get off to a slow start the fans will be screaming for Fields. 

5 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I'm biased because I think Dalton can still play well. I think if it's a fair competition, I just don't see how a rookie can beat out a quality veteran.

If Dalton was on my Broncos, he'd be the best QB, by far, imo. I think with Dalton, playoffs would be in the discussion.

I'm bias since I drafted Fields in dynasty and want him to watch and learn for a year.  But I agree, a veteran just has intangibles that can only be learned by being at that level for a period of time. 

• Thanks 1

Both the Niners and Bears have competent veteran QBs and are considered playoff contenders, especially the Niners. Unless there's an injury or the team gets off to a really bad start, I don't see either QB starting anytime soon. So they look good in mini-camp, everybody looks good in mini-camp. 

Edited by League_Champion

6 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Both the Niners and Bears have competent veteran QBs and are considered playoff contenders, especially the Niners. Unless there's an injury or the team gets off to a really bad start, I don't see either QB starting anytime soon. So they look good in mini-camp, everybody looks good in mini-camp. 

Right and most teams drafting QBs that early don't have a competent veteran QB to start. I think Fields gets on the field sooner, just seems to be a ton of hype about him and Dalton isn't as talented as Jimmy G (I hate trying to spell that last name and used to just type "Crapola" instead).  This guy Leonard and his tweet basically says "I think they start early because that's what has happened in the past" not any sort of great football analysis. 

I remember when Baker Mayfield was drafted by the Browns and some fans were screaming he should start right away. Instead he sat and learned for a couple games behind veteran Tyrod Taylor, there wasn't a ton of pressure on him to perform out of the gate and when he came in to replace the injured Taylor he played very well. Who knows if that goes the same if he is the starter in week 1.  Or even named the starter after a few weeks before ever taking a snap in a real game. 

• 2 months later...

Fields very likely will be a star.  However, so many times, this time of year, when players are practicing in shorts, you hear all the stories of how impressive players look. Hell, I just read an article yesterday about how great the Dallas defense looks and after recent years, you know I'm not a believer yet. 

10 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Local radio really down plays coaching but i think if fields was in Denver he'd definitely fail.

Does Chicago have good coaches?

:rofl:

I assume you're joking. To be fair, they did hire Bill Lazor last year who did make some changes in the offense, but we'll really see what he can do this year. 

2 hours ago, irish said:

Fields very likely will be a star.  However, so many times, this time of year, when players are practicing in shorts, you hear all the stories of how impressive players look

This!

EVERY QB looks good in shorts running scripted passing plays to wide open receivers in shorts. Every single team that drafted a QB this off-season is going to tell you how amazing their guy looks. No exceptions

4 hours ago, irish said:

Fields very likely will be a star.  However, so many times, this time of year, when players are practicing in shorts, you hear all the stories of how impressive players look. Hell, I just read an article yesterday about how great the Dallas defense looks and after recent years, you know I'm not a believer yet. 

You don't know till you know and there is only one way to know.  On the field taking snaps against another team's ones.

5 hours ago, irish said:

Hell, I just read an article yesterday about how great the Dallas defense looks and after recent years, you know I'm not a believer yet. 

I think Dallas is going to be a lot better than people think. I see them winning the East without breaking a sweat. Barring Dak's health of course. 

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I think Dallas is going to be a lot better than people think. I see them winning the East without breaking a sweat. Barring Dak's health of course. 

Don't want to divert the topic too much, but I'd watch out for Washington.  With that badass defense and an improved offense with Fitz at the helm, I could see them giving Dallas a run for their money.

7 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Don't want to divert the topic too much, but I'd watch out for Washington.  With that badass defense and an improved offense with Fitz at the helm, I could see them giving Dallas a run for their money.

I do like Washington as a whole but I can't trust Fitz for a full season. Fitztragic always seems to rear his ugly head when it counts. Can you imagine if Washington somehow traded for Deshaun? Whoa!! 

15 hours ago, darin3 said:

I think any prediction of the Cowboys (or any team in NFCE) winning the division easily is silly. The last time that happened the Eagles won the SB in 2017 season. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Huh?

Nobody in the NFCE is light years ahead of the rest of the division, so predicting somebody wins it easily (as LC did) is silly. It happened recently, but generally for the last 10-15 years the division is a cesspool where some bad team has to win it. It is referred to the as the NFC Least for a reason.

45 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

predicting somebody wins it easily (as LC did) is silly

It's a PREDICTION, not gospel. How is it silly to think Dallas is easily the best team in that division? Nobody in that division besides Dallas has a QB or are as loaded on offense. Their Defense is revamped and healthy. Don't give me Washington, Fitztragic is a joke. He spins himself out by game 7 everywhere he goes. Philly and NY are just dumpster fires. 

48 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Nobody in the NFCE is light years ahead of the rest of the division, so predicting somebody wins it easily (as LC did) is silly. It happened recently, but generally for the last 10-15 years the division is a cesspool where some bad team has to win it. It is referred to the as the NFC Least for a reason.

Yeah dude but you responded to MY post, not LC's.  I was simply stating that WFT will be a player in the NFC-E.  I think DAL and WFT are the front-runners there.