[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julio Jones to The Titans

This makes the Titans better this year. It makes the Falcons a little worse, but helps the fortunes of Kyle Pitts and Russell Gage in particular.

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

I think the biggest beneficiary might be Hayden Hurst. He might have just become fantasy relevant.

Cannot hurt Hurst. It depends on how they use Pitts. Hurst at least becomes potentially relevant again.

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

Who does this hurt more... Firkser or Reynolds?

I think it hurts a lot more than we think. A few points:

1. Tennessee had the 3rd lowest passing play % in the league. The only 2 team who passed less than them were the Patriots and Ravens (both running QBs).

a. I believe Brown will be fine, but I'm not sure what to think about the other pass catchers.

b. What does this say about Tannehill? Will they let him air it out more?

2. Matt Ryan is average without Julio.   His QBR is around 88 without Julio.

a. Ridley should be fine, but it will be interesting to see how teams adjust with him being the alpha now. 

Edited by Shaft
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I think it hurts a lot more than we think. A few points:

1. Tennessee had the 3rd lowest passing play % in the league. The only 2 team who passed less than them were the Patriots and Ravens (both running QBs).

a. I believe Brown will be fine, but I'm not sure what to think about the other pass catchers.

b. What does this say about Tannehill? Will they let him air it out more?

2. Matt Ryan is average without Julio.   His QBR is around 88 without Julio.

a. Ridley should be fine, but it will be interesting to see how teams adjust with him being the alpha now. 

Agree. Ryan has rarely played his best when Julio was out of the lineup.

9 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Good stuff!

Upon reflection, why ignore qb at #4 only to trade away a key player? If they think they can make a run with ryan, why trade Julio?

Agree. I love Pitts but they definitely should of drafted a QB. Now they'll be forced to reach for a QB in the next couple years. They aren't winning anything anytime soon. 

I'm always debating folks about Ridley.

I think he's a very good wideout but I don't think he's a true alpha No. 1.

Life without his big brother Julio around won't be smooth sailing all the time. Just my two cents.

Just now, Wolverines Fan said:

I'm always debating folks about Ridley.

I think he's a very good wideout but I don't think he's a true alpha No. 1.

Life without his big brother Julio around won't be smooth sailing all the time. Just my two cents.

I agree but I do think the addition of Pitts will open it up a little for him. I wouldn't expect top 10 type numbers, but as a Ridley owner I'm hoping. 

57 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Good stuff!

Upon reflection, why ignore qb at #4 only to trade away a key player? If they think they can make a run with ryan, why trade Julio?

I really didn't like this yrs draft class.   A lot of talent sat out, those who played, didn't always play weekly, if atl is awful this yr and gets a top 5 pick next year, I think they get a better qb (other then 1.01 this yr) they also don't p!ss off Ryan like green bay did with Rodgers and snag some additional capital to build with.   Give Pitts a year to learn the system and tour rookie QB in 23 has a fully developed team to work with.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

It's a pretty risky, expensive move by the Titans. They better hope that they can keep Julio on the field come playoff time. 

I don't consider a 2nd round pick expensive when they're window is the next 2 years. They better move hard now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

And,i think, historically, WRs do not perform anywhere as well as people expect in their first year with the new team

Agreed. Has Julio even player with anyone else besides Ryan? A new coach, offensive scheme, culture, and qb...that's a lot of adjustment for a 32 year old vet. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I don't consider a 2nd round pick expensive when they're window is the next 2 years. They better move hard now.

I think it was a 2, 4 and a 6. That's a lot to take on a huge contract like that, that's all I'm saying, he's no spring chicken. They're a good team, they're not a contender. 

Edited by League_Champion

23 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

And,i think, historically, WRs do not perform anywhere as well as people expect in their first year with the new team

True, but......Hopkins last year was an exception. Adding Julio can only help Tennessee's offense but they will also need a philosophical shift away from being a slave to the run.

Given the Titans' defense, they don't really have any window to speak of, Super Bowl-wise. They improved their offense at a reasonable cost and that has to seen for what it is - a good football move whose potential can really be unleashed by a more balanced offensive system.

The real question is: if Arthur Smith is truly is an offensive guru, why was it that he limited Tannehill's throwing as much as he did? My guess is this was not an accident.

3 minutes ago, stethant said:

Given the Titans' defense, they don't really have any window to speak of, Super Bowl-wise. They improved their offense at a reasonable cost and that has to seen for what it is - a good football move whose potential can really be unleashed by a more balanced offensive system.

The real question is: if Arthur Smith is truly is an offensive guru, why was it that he limited Tannehill's throwing as much as he did? My guess is this was not an accident.

All good points. Their defense is atrocious and I'm suspect of Tannehill. There's a reason they limited his attempts.

8 hours ago, millworkguy said:

No, a 22 2nd and 23rd 4th, the 23rd 6th is coming back with Julio from Atlanta 

Thank you for the clarification. 

"In exchange for Jones, the Titans will send a 2022 second-round draft pick and a 2023 fourth-round selection to the Falcons. Along with Jones, the Falcons will send a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Titans".

Edited by League_Champion

Just going off what I know, yes an upgrade for Tannehill but still not sure he's that fantasy relevant outside of 2 QB leagues is he? I think it downgrades AJ Brown somewhat. Yes he was doubled a lot but he also got a lot of balls thrown to him. And this is still a running team. I'd still be happy drafting him, just maybe not quite as high.  I definitely am more likely to take Ridley. He may not be a true alpha but where else is ATL going to go with the ball. 

Edit: tannehill was QB8, QB10 on a per game basis last year so I may not be giving him enough credit. 

Edited by purplemonster

16 hours ago, Shaft said:

And what's with the talk of needing to keep Jones on the field come playoff time, like he's got an extensive injury history missing the end of the season. Prior to missing half a season last year he missed a total of 4 games in the prior 6 years, and had one other season (2013) with more than 2 missed games. He's missed the final game of the season (could speculate he'd have missed playoffs) twice in his 10 year career, in those 2 years where he missed about half a season or more. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

And what's with the talk of needing to keep Jones on the field come playoff time, like he's got an extensive injury history missing the end of the season. Prior to missing half a season last year he missed a total of 4 games in the prior 6 years, and had one other season (2013) with more than 2 missed games. He's missed the final game of the season (could speculate he'd have missed playoffs) twice in his 10 year career, in those 2 years where he missed about half a season or more. 

I think you're right. He's never had a major injury (knock on wood), it's always minor tweaks or pulls. He's still playing at a high level.