[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which second-year WR has the best outlook?

DMD

Which second-year WR has the best outlook?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who to take?

• Henry Ruggs - LV
    • Jerry Jeudy - DEN
    • Jalen Reagor - PHI
    • Tee Higgins - CIN
    • Michael Pittman - IND
    • Laviska Shenault - JAC

We've already seen good results from CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk, Chase Claypool and Justin Jefferson, but what about the rest of the 2020 NFL draft class? Which WR has the most upside?

Darnell Mooney? Interesting. He was encouraging last year with 11-93 in Week 17 but only had two other games with more than 50 yards. I was going through the draft and didn't go down to the fifth round. Mooney only weighs 176 pounds as the lightest WR drafted in 2020. I'd worry about him taking a heavy workload.

1 hour ago, DMD said:

Darnell Mooney? Interesting. He was encouraging last year with 11-93 in Week 17 but only had two other games with more than 50 yards. I was going through the draft and didn't go down to the fifth round. Mooney only weighs 176 pounds as the lightest WR drafted in 2020. I'd worry about him taking a heavy workload.

All fair points, but he did finish with 61 catches and 631 yards. Those stats were better than Ruggs, Shenault, and Reagor. It's not like his QB was a stud. :lol:  Watch Mooney's highlights, the kid has separation, hands, and speed. 

• Like 2

For me Higgins is at a different level than the rest. So,

Higgins

Jeudy

Shenault

The rest are interchangeable:

Mooney (agreed with Shaft here)

Ruggs

Pittman

Reagor

• Like 1

How is it that the Raiders picked the first WR off the board with Ruggs, but no one likes him and the Raiders only got 26 catches from him last year? That is one of the scary parts about picking an Alabama player. Are they that good or are they enjoying riding on the tank known as the Crimson Tide?

2 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Higgins seems like the easy choice. But he has to share targets with Boyd and Chase.  That limits his value.

Higgins sharing is my concern as well. 

On 6/17/2021 at 7:18 PM, DMD said:

Higgins sharing is my concern as well. 

I think he and Chase could be mirror images in production.  70-80 rec 1,000-1,100 yds with a half dozen tds, sitting in the top 25.

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I think his only competition is boyd and Chase as they don't really have pass catching TEs or RBs. And just like Ruggs, Chase is unproven.

Don't be shocked if TE Sample has more catches than Chase

I don't think this will even come close to happening.  Chase at least doubles his reception total and could triple it, IMO. 

• Like 1

If you take a 1st round WR over Sewell he damn well better get more catches than your TE. Otherwise it's a total organizational fail.

Back to the Ruggs thing for a second. It seems unlikely that the Raiders just by blind luck consistently pick the wrong WR year after year. I bet their process is bad and then their coaches, scheme, and QB do them no help.

Having said all that, it's interesting to me that even with all of those elements in place, some WRs really never catch fire - I'm thinking here of Hardman in KC. OK he's a 2nd round WR but some guys really just don't ever make the transition.

45 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I think his only competition is boyd and Chase as they don't really have pass catching TEs or RBs. And just like Ruggs, Chase is unproven.

Don't be shocked if TE Sample has more catches than Chase

Higgins will only have competition from Chase and Boyd,  but Sample may get more catches than Chase?

Some eggspurts are billing Chase the top WR prospect of the decade. The college production relative to Ruggs was on a different level.   Chase is unproven on the pro level but his history and connection with Burrow is undeniable.

Barring an injury situation, Chase is an almost certain lock to be top 3 in catches at Cincy.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's #1.  If I'm getting a Cincy WR this year in redrafts, it's probably the guy that falls furtherst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

Higgins will only have competition from Chase and Boyd,  but Sample may get more catches than Chase?

Some eggspurts are billing Chase the top WR prospect of the decade. The college production relative to Ruggs was on a different level.   Chase is unproven on the pro level but his history and connection with Burrow is undeniable.

Barring an injury situation, Chase is an almost certain lock to be top 3 in catches at Cincy.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's #1.  If I'm getting a Cincy WR this year in redrafts, it's probably the guy that falls furtherst.

I think that may end up being Boyd. 

26 minutes ago, irish said:

I think that may end up being Boyd. 

7 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Probably and i think he's #1 in fantasy points of cin wr/te

It will definitely be Boyd. From a fantasy draft perspective, he's not receiving the same hype as Chase or Higgins. Boyd reminds me a lot of Robert Woods; he has a solid floor, but low ceiling. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Someone I'm curious about is Van Jefferson in this new Ram's offense. 

Agreed, but he'll be a late rounder and more likely WW add, especially in smaller leagues and I'm not expecting him to consistently crack starting lineups even as a WR3 or Flex. 

24 minutes ago, Shaft said:

It will definitely be Boyd. From a fantasy draft perspective, he's not receiving the same hype as Chase or Higgins. Boyd reminds me a lot of Robert Woods; he has a solid floor, but low ceiling. 

The trio may play out like Woods, Cooks, and Kupp 2 years ago.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I think that's a great call and maybe, just maybe, Mixon finally puts up RB1 numbers. 

I would agree that Boyd is likely the safest bet in PPR for this season. Mixon has been a early pick landmine the last two years, but the upside in this offense is tantalizing.  Burrow is probably the safest bet on Cincy's offense overall.  But, everyone else knows that and QBs always go too early for my liking.

11 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

I would agree that Boyd is likely the safest bet in PPR for this season. Mixon has been a early pick landmine the last two years, but the upside in this offense is tantalizing.  Burrow is probably the safest bet on Cincy's offense overall.  But, everyone else knows that and QBs always go too early for my liking.

I get the appeal with everyone trying to stack Cincy's QBs/WRs and seeing them as a mini-Cowboys on offense. But....this is a hype train I'm a little loathe to get on.

Why? First off, the o-line is still a liability. Second, Burrow shredded his knee last year (not just a simple ACL tear and repair) and I don't see him coming back immediately at full strength. The first month, at a minimum, could be a slow start as Burrow tries to get back in the swing of things.

Trying to get a piece of this offense is still worthwhile, but overpaying or going all-in with a big stack is something I'm less enthusiastic about.

12 hours ago, Shaft said:

Someone I'm curious about is Van Jefferson in this new Ram's offense. 

+1. This will need a bit more research between now and late August for my main drafts but could be a very interesting angle.