[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Strategy

TheGuildedAge

First, I know you can't really go in with a strategy because drafts are fluid.

However, I am in a recreational league (though we do play for money) with some quirks, namely two members who are Mahommes and Lamar Jackson fans respectively. In the past two years, both have taken Mahommes and Jackson in the 2nd round.

In our first year, the Mahommes fan took him in the 1st round.

I pick 8th and knowing these tendencies, also guessing the big name RBs are gonna be gone, I was curious how crazy it would be to go Kelce then QB (Allen or Mahommes) with my 8th and 13th picks respectively.

I was wondering if that could force a bit of a run on QBs and TEs early, freeing up some RB and WR talent later?

Risky, but curious on your thoughts.

Full PPR 10 team league.

Edited by TheGuildedAge

No way in hell would I take a QB with my 1st or 2nd pick. If you like Kelce with your 1st (8), fine. But get a RB or WR at 13. Look for one of:

RBs - Taylor, Zeke, Chubb, Jones, Ekeler

Or

WRs - Hill, Adams, Diggs 

Not that I would, but you could get Kyler Murray in the 3rd or 4th round and get production closer to Mahomes/Allen, while ending up with the best TE and one of the best WRs or RBs.

Edited by irish

7 minutes ago, irish said:

No way in hell would I take a QB with my 1st or 2nd pick. If you like Kelce with your 1st (8), fine. But get a RB or WR at 13. Look for one of:

RBs - Taylor, Zeke, Chubb, Jones, Ekeler

Or

WRs - Hill, Adams, Diggs 

Not that I would, but you could get Kyler Murray in the 3rd or 4th round and get production closer to Mahomes/Allen, while ending up with the best TE and one of the best WRs or RBs.

Thanks for the insight. In the mocks I do, I usually find Chubb, Zeke, Jones, etc. there.

A good friend picks 10th and based on how well I know him I think he will go Kelce/RB for sure.

I went zero RB least year and went 3-10, but man is it tempting to try to put together a Kelce, Thomas, Adams, Diggs, Jefferson, Ridley type lineup and go RB later again.

QBs seem to go early in my league, so you can bet by 4th round Jackson, Allen, Mahommes, Prescott are gone.

4 minutes ago, TheGuildedAge said:

Thanks for the insight. In the mocks I do, I usually find Chubb, Zeke, Jones, etc. there.

A good friend picks 10th and based on how well I know him I think he will go Kelce/RB for sure.

I went zero RB least year and went 3-10, but man is it tempting to try to put together a Kelce, Thomas, Adams, Diggs, Jefferson, Ridley type lineup and go RB later again.

QBs seem to go early in my league, so you can bet by 4th round Jackson, Allen, Mahommes, Prescott are gone.

I'd grab Kelce and then at 13 have it narrowed down to-

RB - Jones or Taylor

WR- Diggs or Hill

I have used this tried and true draft strategy for 30+ years and it is really simple.......

Just draft the players that score the most points........end result is usually the same

"Championship"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

I'm a fan of drafting QBs in the 8th round or later who get picked up in the 2nd and 3rd round the following year.

This. People chase too many points on what has happened, especially QBs. Draft them during their ascension.

QBs going early in full PPR is a gift you cannot pass up. Take advantage of all the good players dropping to you and take them - NOT the qb.

If you're apprehensive about zero RB then try modified zero RB - take one anchor RB and then hammer away at WR/TE to your heart's content.

As others have said, getting ahead of the QB curve by drafting one early means you've passed on an elite WR at the very least. Why do that when you can get a QB that will still smash in round 6-10, at a minimum?

The exception - maybe - would be if you're trying to pull off some crazy team stack and you REALLY want the stack. Just recognize in the league you're describing you're going to overpay for the QB and that will negate the slight advantage you'd get with the stack.

10 hours ago, stethant said:

QBs going early in full PPR is a gift you cannot pass up. Take advantage of all the good players dropping to you and take them - NOT the qb.

If you're apprehensive about zero RB then try modified zero RB - take one anchor RB and then hammer away at WR/TE to your heart's content.

As others have said, getting ahead of the QB curve by drafting one early means you've passed on an elite WR at the very least. Why do that when you can get a QB that will still smash in round 6-10, at a minimum?

The exception - maybe - would be if you're trying to pull off some crazy team stack and you REALLY want the stack. Just recognize in the league you're describing you're going to overpay for the QB and that will negate the slight advantage you'd get with the stack.

Thanks. I was hoping Zeke or another solid RB falls to me, then I was kind of thinking possibly what you said. Go RB, then WR, WR, TE, until I am loaded and load the bench with late round RBs and hope one hits.

3 minutes ago, Rekroot said:

I’d get at least one top 12 QB. Actually, one is what I usually do.

Pretty easy to do in a 10 team league, which is why there's no need to rush in drafting one. 

2 hours ago, irish said:

Pretty easy to do in a 10 team league, which is why there's no need to rush in drafting one. 

I didn’t realize it was a ten team league. I thought it was a twelve team league. I didn’t read the whole post. I agree not to rush and let the QB fall to you.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:52 PM, Henry Muto said:

I have used this tried and true draft strategy for 30+ years and it is really simple.......

Just draft the players that score the most points........end result is usually the same

"Championship"

I've heard that before, but nobody wins a title with every team, certainly not somebody who has 100 teams or more. ;) 

I like to draft quarterbacks in the bottom half of the league like Winston, Fitzpatrick, Taysom Hill, Roethlesberger, Darnold, Cousins, Wentz, Trey Lance, and Tannehill. 

the reason why I draft these guys is because you can get their stud running back early. That way you can fill up on other positions before drafting their quarterback. The purpose of pairing the running back with the quarterback is when your quarterback is having a good game your running will run out the clock. Hope I didn’t bore the crap out of you.

Edited by Rekroot
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rekroot said:

I like to draft quarterbacks in the bottom half of the league like Winston, Fitzpatrick, Taysom Hill, Roethlesberger, Darnold, Cousins, Wentz, Trey Lance, and Tannehill. 

the reason why I draft these guys is because you can get their stud running back early. That way you can fill up on other positions before drafting their quarterback. The purpose of pairing the running back with the quarterback is when your quarterback is having a good game your running will run out the clock. Hope I didn’t bore the crap out of you.

This logic doesn't always apply, but I do always wait on drafting QBs. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rekroot said:

My last 3 picks are QB, Kicker and Defense. I've never won anything with a top 10 QB. 

Edited by League_Champion
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, irish said:

This logic doesn't always apply, but I do always wait on drafting QBs. 

What your saying is true. I just want to give myself a high probability chance of having the perfect draft. Every year I think I have done the perfect draft, and will justify and validate my picks. Of course, then it  just goes to manure . Last time I won was 2009 and 2010. I was in Rehab on two different occasions both times I won. I couldn’t even change my lineup for three weeks since we weren’t allowed access to phones or computers.

Try that one on. Lmfao! 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Rekroot
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rekroot said:

What your saying is true. I just want to give myself a high probability chance of having the perfect draft. Every year I think I have done the perfect draft, and will justify and validate my picks. Of course, then it  just goes to manure . Last time I won was 2009 and 2010. I was in Rehab on two different occasions both times I won. I couldn’t even change my lineup for three weeks since we weren’t allowed access to phones or computers.

Try that one on. Lmfao! 🤣🤣🤣

Well, looks like the only way to having success is falling off the wagon again. 

Alright, maybe just stay straight and keep donating. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, irish said:

Well, looks like the only way to having success is falling off the wagon again. 

Alright, maybe just stay straight and keep donating. 

I hear ya… apparently, I draft better drunk. However it’s an expensive date, and costs about 25,000 grand a pop. That’s enough to keep me sober.🤪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rekroot said:

I hear ya… apparently, I draft better drunk. However it’s an expensive date, and costs about 25,000 grand a pop. That’s enough to keep me sober.🤪

My big $$$ league draft is the day before the season starts. I like this because there's no excuses, pre-season injuries, etc. I'm in a couple $500 buy in leagues that are the week prior to the season opener. I'll probably join a few free leagues from here on out though. I can't resist, haha. 

• Haha 1

I mainly freewheel it every year. My problem seems not trusting my gut and drafting players I am not enthusiastic about and then they turn to shyte. I agree with keeping QB for later, although I would take Kyler if he fell. There is a lot of late round QB value. I can't really go for zero RB unless the format really rewards it. It isn't so much it can't work, I just don't enjoy finding scraps for RB's. Finding WR's that will get points is a lot easier.  An single anchor RB though I can get behind. 

As for specific picks, this year I'm tempted to go for a bit of a Rams stack. And I like Chubb a lot but that means you also need to take Hunt early. Still think it would be worth it. 

Most drafts I play by ear, if I drafted te/wr first few rounds and all the top RB talent is gone for round 3,  I'll take best player available rather than pick a meh RB just for the sake of it.

• Like 1