Sign in to follow this  
Chief Dick

Fishing

Love fishing but my experience is limited. I've really just done minimal ocean fishing - stripers, blues, fluke, snapper. But mostly in lakes for large and small mouth. 

On 7/20/2021 at 11:13 AM, Chief Dick said:

Anyone here like to fish? 

Yep, very much. 

My family’s cabin is on a lake with walleye, northern, panfish, bass, and crappies. Low boat traffic most of the year and the fishing is pretty good to great. Even on slow days I’d rather be in the boat drowning a worm than doing anything else. 

• Like 1

I live right on, and I mean right on Lake Erie and have never fished. 

01F0A043-B16F-4958-A616-561B37B86E8F.jpg

18 hours ago, loaf said:

Wow, that's incredible!  Both the view and never having fished when you can spit into the lake. 

22 hours ago, loaf said:

Why? How? You live on that gorgeous body of water and you never had the urge to fish it?? Hmmm 

On 7/28/2021 at 7:27 PM, loaf said:

That's pretty incredible. Awesome view.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2021 at 9:13 AM, Chief Dick said:

Anyone here like to fish? 

Hell yeah!!! Lived 20 years in Alaska baby...fishing was a religion!! 😎

Edited by devilwoman

Me Fish!

Fishing Merit Badge Counselor for Boy Scouts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, devilwoman said:

Hell yeah!!! Lived 20 years in Alaska baby...fishing was a religion!! 😎

Devilwoman - one of my clients used to work on the crab boats up there like in Deadliest Catch

3 hours ago, FWmaker said:

Devilwoman - one of my clients used to work on the crab boats up there like in Deadliest Catch

that is a crazy job...

I like to eat fish.  Have a friend who likes to fish but doesn't really like to eat fish.  :shrug: 

As a kid I was fishing a few times but never really got into it, too busy tossing my guts over the railing  :) 

13 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I like to eat fish.  Have a friend who likes to fish but doesn't really like to eat fish.  :shrug: 

As a kid I was fishing a few times but never really got into it, too busy tossing my guts over the railing  :) 

Most of what I fish for is catch and release. Every now and then I'll keep some Cobia, grouper or Reds. I've been fishing my whole life and still get sick sometimes. It happens. 

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Most of what I fish for is catch and release. Every now and then I'll keep some Cobia, grouper or Reds. I've been fishing my whole life and still get sick sometimes. It happens. 

21 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

When fishing on a boat, I only get sick when I'm inside the cabin and have a view of the edge of the boat and the horizon. If I'm outside on deck, I've never gotten sick, no matter how choppy the water is. 

1 minute ago, irish said:

When fishing on a boat, I only get sick when I'm inside the cabin and have a view of the edge of the boat and the horizon. If I'm outside on deck, I've never gotten sick, no matter how choppy the water is. 

It's crazy because I do better in rougher water. 

17 minutes ago, irish said:

I think it was just one of those things in my childhood, we'd often get car sick too. I haven't been on a boat much in a while, rough waters on the ocean were the worst for me. Took a boat to Catalina island from Los Angeles, and had to spend most of the time on lower deck where it didn't move much (2nd and 3rd floor of the old big boat had lots of movement). I went out with my brother on his pontoon boat on the lake in their retirement community, no problems, also did some kayak on the lake. 

One of my motorcycling friends used to get motion sickness, nearly barfed in his helmet on one ride. I was shocked to find out, considering how many hilly/twisty roads we ride.

Spent all my life going out on the water. Choppy seas, calm seas, big ship, small boat, inside or out,  thankfully have never gotten sick.

• Like 1

I can see the Gulf from my house. It's not in my back yard,  but only two blocks away. There's a nice pier and boat launch here as well.20210516_194448.thumb.jpg.7229f63b0895b053d7e4e63964df0e4a.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Most of the fishing I do these days is inshore. Reds, specks, flounder. Sometimes I'll get into some white trout and have a fish fry.

Here's the last red I caught. I usually don't keep the bulls, but this one had a lure caught in his throat and he would have never survived. 

2017-09-15_08-21-18.thumb.jpg.fa953b7c9110121bf9d55ef1bb3cf902.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Most of the fishing I do these days is inshore. Reds, specks, flounder. Sometimes I'll get into some white trout and have a fish fry.

Here's the last red I caught. I usually don't keep the bulls, but this one had a lure caught in his throat and he would have never survived. 

2017-09-15_08-21-18.thumb.jpg.fa953b7c9110121bf9d55ef1bb3cf902.jpg

Very nice!! Now that's a view. I'm the same, I rarely go far offshore. I have more fun in the inlet. 

14 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Are you noticing a lot more sharks where you're at this season? We've been catching consistent 8-10 footers inshore, offshore from the beach, etc. They are just everywhere. Perhaps it's the water temp. 

6 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Are you noticing a lot more sharks where you're at this season? We've been catching consistent 8-10 footers inshore, offshore from the beach, etc. They are just everywhere. Perhaps it's the water temp. 

I haven't been a lot this summer,  but there have definitely been a lot of reports,  especially from the waders.