[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cleveland Guardians (baseball)

Dcat

Not as big an Indians fan as I was in the mid to late 90s (they filled a hole left by the Browns and were a fun team to follow) so doesn't matter much to me. I knew once they got rid of Chief Wahoo that the name would change, then all the social justice movement last year. Others will be forced to change in time, Blackhawks, Chiefs, Braves, etc. 

As for the Guardians name, this may explain it,

The choice of Guardians draws inspiration from Cleveland's architectural history. The Guardians of Traffic are the large art deco statues that adorn the Hope Memorial Bridge that connects the city's west side with the east side.

Now cue some idiot who will say "well Cleveland sucks that's stupid", like Phillies is such a great name for team playing in Philly :rolleyes: 

I saw some uniforms and they are keeping the same colors, using the same block C on the caps, and the Guardians across the front of the jersey looks very similar to Indians, same font and both end with "dians". 

Personally of the choices being discussed I liked Rockers the best, we are home to the Rock Hall of Fame (despite the man non rock artists). I know Spiders was used before, but that isn't even the same baseball team (Indians started as a team in Michigan and had many other names before Indians), and it reminds me of Spider in Goodfellas, that mouthy little prick that Tommy shot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not as big an Indians fan as I was in the mid to late 90s (they filled a hole left by the Browns and were a fun team to follow) so doesn't matter much to me. I knew once they got rid of Chief Wahoo that the name would change, then all the social justice movement last year. Others will be forced to change in time, Blackhawks, Chiefs, Braves, etc. 

The choice of Guardians draws inspiration from Cleveland's architectural history. The Guardians of Traffic are the large art deco statues that adorn the Hope Memorial Bridge that connects the city's west side with the east side.

Now cue some idiot who will say "well Cleveland sucks that's stupid", like Phillies is such a great name for team playing in Philly :rolleyes: 

I saw some uniforms and they are keeping the same colors, using the same block C on the caps, and the Guardians across the front of the jersey looks very similar to Indians, same font and both end with "dians". 

Personally of the choices being discussed I liked Rockers the best, we are home to the Rock Hall of Fame (despite the man non rock artists). I know Spiders was used before, but that isn't even the same baseball team (Indians started as a team in Michigan and had many other names before Indians), and it reminds me of Spider in Goodfellas, that mouthy little prick that Tommy shot.

I actually like Rockers. Just put a electric guitar on the hat, that would have been awesome

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Finn5033 said:

I actually like Rockers. Just put a electric guitar on the hat, that would have been awesome

I know they did a lot of stuff to get input from fans and people in the community, but the Guardians thing isn't a big deal to many in CLE. When I lived there I lived on the west side, went to college downtown CLE, but rarely drove that way. Also attended tons of sporting events downtown over the years, often driving from my place or my friends on the west side, and we didn't cross the bridge that has these impressive statues carved into them. 

Maybe rockers was offensive to people who don't like rock music. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

Should have revived the Cleveland Spiders. Would have been much better. The new Guardians logo is ugly

CCD6CA9B-0608-4E81-917C-EBF843E2C74B.jpeg

They should remove the one on the back and wrap that first G around the baseball like it's gripping the baseball ready to throw a pitch. And basically turn the G to the right just a little bit.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Thanks for the info, this is good input.

I think the logo looks a lot like one the Angels used back in the late 90's - early 00's.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Thanks, good insight.

Teams can't seem to come up with a name.that's.not offensive to someone. What a bunch of B.S.  Maybe the should name the team the Cleveland NEUTRALS. Sure someone would find that offensive too. Guess they're gonna have to call all sports teams whatever sport  they are. Cleveland Basketball, Los Angeles Baseball and Kansas City Football. What a bunch of hoo-hah.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Docniner said:

Teams can't seem to come up with a name.that's.not offensive to someone. What a bunch of B.S.  Maybe the should name the team the Cleveland NEUTRALS. Sure someone would find that offensive too. Guess they're gonna have to call all sports teams whatever sport  they are. Cleveland Basketball, Los Angeles Baseball and Kansas City Football. What a bunch of hoo-hah.

90% of team names are not offensive. This team has been under fire for awhile and they started slowly changing it years ago. 

20 minutes ago, Shaft said:

90% of team names are not offensive. This team has been under fire for awhile and they started slowly changing it years ago. 

You can't tell me I can't be offended by everyone getting offended by everything! 

:shakes fist in the air:

• Haha 2

Guardians seems too generic, but Indians wasn't going to last. Rockers definitely would have been an improvement. 

It would be an interesting poll to have (not sure if we allow essentially non-related threads) of the least favorite named teams in your area.  Personally I would go with Wild, it seemed like a dumb name to me when they came up with it, but it has grown on me a little. What is a "wild", is it wildlife? the general wilderness? Both? Vikings is cool and applicable, hard to argue with that one, and Timberwolves is pretty cool too, but they are so laughably bad they have dragged the name down with it. Twins is good too. 

Here is another story about how the decision was made. I hadn't even considered the Colorado Rockies in MLB when looking at the Rockers name. Another knock against that was the Cleveland WNBA team had used that name. 

The story talks about how they did some focus groups and some of the key words coming back from people on what Cleveland means to them, and they came up with these words Pride. Resiliency. Loyalty. Protective.  That ruled out many potential names including they felt most in two of their 3 categories (animals, colors, characters/objects). 

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2021/07/inside-story-of-how-cleveland-indians-became-the-cleveland-guardians-terry-pluto.html

There are many in CLE area who are not happy, but the writing was on the wall when Chief Wahoo was removed, then later when Washington decided to ditch their football team name. I'm not a native Clevelander, didn't grow up with the Tribe but was still a big fan. I understand the reasoning, and will still support my local baseball team. 

I’m from the Cleveland area.  Always loved the tribe.  Times change, name needed a rebrand.  I’m cool with it.  I don’t know that I would have chose the Guardians, but it could be far worse.  Now that logo looks like it belongs on a 55 Packard.  It is terrible.  I would of went with the Cicadas.  We come to life for one year out of 17 regularly.    

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2021 at 5:58 PM, ShaneKibler said:

I’m from the Cleveland area.  Always loved the tribe.  Times change, name needed a rebrand.  I’m cool with it.  I don’t know that I would have chose the Guardians, but it could be far worse.  Now that logo looks like it belongs on a 55 Packard.  It is terrible.  I would of went with the Cicadas.  We come to life for one year out of 17 regularly.    

And even then we cannot win the World Series.  They will probably come up with more logos, will take a long time for them to become popular.