[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kamara's value without Brees and M. Thomas

The Grey Pilgrim

I have the 3rd pick in a non-PPR league and the 4th pick in a 2 QB PPR league.  Kamara would be a consideration in both leagues.  But there are several issues that cause me to wonder if the other RB options are a better pick this year at those draft spots.  Anybody have some thoughts or opinions on whether Kamara's value could change, either slightly or even more (maybe dropping him several spots down in the 1st round).  

No M. Thomas, no Brees.  It would seem Kamara would get more work, a good thing usually.  But with less of a passing attack, teams will key on Kamara even more and likely stack the box.   Last year with Taysom as a starter, Kamara's usage/numbers went way down (I think).  But he still ended up with 21 TD's and great numbers for the year. There's a lot to digest for his projected value and most likely draft spot for this season.  

Edited by The Grey Pilgrim

My first impression was Thomas being out would be bad for Kamara but then I kept reading how people thought it would be a boost. I guess I am not totally convinced. He doesn't strike me as a workhorse, more like a Ferrari.  I'm sure he can do the workhorse role but I wonder about him breaking down, getting frustrated, whatever. 

Edited by purplemonster

2 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

My first impression was Thomas being out would be bad for Kamara but then I kept reading how people thought it would be a boost. I guess I am not totally convinced. He doesn't strike me as a workhorse, more like a Ferrari.  I'm sure he can do the workhorse role but I wonder about him breaking down, getting frustrated if they start losing games and he's getting surrounded by guys every play, etc etc. 

He gets the most value in ppr, where we could write in 80 rec for him.  His td's have been erratic year to year.  My .02 is now that thomas is shelved for a bit longer, he will get more receptions.  seems like yards and tds dip this year (how much depends on which qb)

15 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

He gets the most value in ppr, where we could write in 80 rec for him.  His td's have been erratic year to year.  My .02 is now that thomas is shelved for a bit longer, he will get more receptions.  seems like yards and tds dip this year (how much depends on which qb)

I would def agree with that. Payton is smart enough to not run him up the gut 17x per game and Latavius is pretty decent anyway. What I don't know is if there are enough other things on that offense to distract people from Kamara or make them pay if people over commit to him. 

Edited by purplemonster

19 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I would def agree with that. Payton is smart enough to not run him up the gut 17x per game and Latavius is pretty decent anyway. What I don't know is if there are enough other things on that offense to distract people from Kamara or make them pay if people over commit to him.

I agree...hence why i think yards and tds drop this year

3 hours ago, The Grey Pilgrim said:

I have the 3rd pick in a non-PPR league and the 4th pick in a 2 QB PPR league.  Kamara would be a consideration in both leagues.  But there are several issues that cause me to wonder if the other RB options are a better pick this year at those draft spots.  Anybody have some thoughts or opinions on whether Kamara's value could change, either slightly or even more (maybe dropping him several spots down in the 1st round).  

No M. Thomas, no Brees.  It would seem Kamara would get more work, a good thing usually.  But with less of a passing attack, teams will key on Kamara even more and likely stack the box.   Last year with Taysom as a starter, Kamara's usage/numbers went way down (I think).  But he still ended up with 21 TD's and great numbers for the year. There's a lot to digest for his projected value and most likely draft spot for this season.  

Rushing was not that much lower than normal, but receiving was, he got about half the targets per game with Hill vs. Brees. Brees missed 4 games, weeks 11-14. Kamara also missed the final game, so he played just 15, 11 with Brees and 4 with Hill. 

Kamara for the season - rush 187/932/15 rec 83/756/5 (107 targets) in 15 games, avg per game rush 12.5/62/1  rec 5.5/50/0.3 (7 targets)

Kamara in 11 games with Brees at QB - rush 137/695/12 rec 73/705/5 (on 91 targets), avg per game  rush 12.45/64/1  rec 6.6/64/0.5 (8 targets)

Kamara in 4 games with mostly Hill at QB - rush 50/237/3 rec 10/51/0 (on 16 targets), avg per game  rush 12.5/59/0.75  rec 2.5/59/0 (4 targets)

I'm staying away from Kamara this year.  I own him in a dynasty and I'll hold there, but in redraft/bestball I'm going to avoid.  I get a sense that they are going to use Taysom a lot, which we all know denigrates Kamara's value a lot.  

If Thomas was healthy and  Winston was already named the starter, I would feel differently.

• Like 1

Your 3rd pick in non-PPR league I'd jump.all over Derrick Henry.if he was there. In your 2QB league Kamara at.pick 4 sounds good. Since we know Thomas will be out.anywhere.from 4 to 8 weeks Karamara's value does get a slight boost. His value is better if Winston wins the starting job. Payton's smart enough to NOT run the wheels of of Kamara. He's.got few.stud players and he won't want to run the risk of losing another by working the shiot outta Kamara. He's good value at 4 because he will see an increase in touches but as I said I'd take Henry over Kamara in nonPPR league.

17 hours ago, darin3 said:

I'm staying away from Kamara this year.  I own him in a dynasty and I'll hold there, but in redraft/bestball I'm going to avoid.  I get a sense that they are going to use Taysom a lot, which we all know denigrates Kamara's value a lot.  

If Thomas was healthy and  Winston was already named the starter, I would feel differently.

That's a good point, probably the most important factor is whether it is Taysom or Jameis, the rest is likely details 

7 hours ago, Docniner said:

Your 3rd pick in non-PPR league I'd jump.all over Derrick Henry.if he was there. In your 2QB league Kamara at.pick 4 sounds good. Since we know Thomas will be out.anywhere.from 4 to 8 weeks Karamara's value does get a slight boost. His value is better if Winston wins the starting job. Payton's smart enough to NOT run the wheels of of Kamara. He's.got few.stud players and he won't want to run the risk of losing another by working the shiot outta Kamara. He's good value at 4 because he will see an increase in touches but as I said I'd take Henry over Kamara in nonPPR league.

I'm in agreement.  In the non-PPR league having the 3rd pick, my short list is McCaffrey, D Henry, D Cook.  I'm not expecting McCaf to fall to 3, but if Henry does, I will jump on him.  If neither falls to me, then I will take D Cook.  

In the 2 QB league, it will be tough for me to pass on Mahomes or J Allen if they fall.  It's a QB heavy league.  Maybe get Mixon, Ekeler or Clyde in 2.  But I could take the top RB left at the 4th spot instead.  Our draft is a week prior to 1st game so there could be some questions about the "Kamara situation."  Or maybe not. I'm inclined to pass on Alvin, if McCaff or Cook is still there, but we'll see.  I hate uncertainly with such a high 1st round pick.   

7 hours ago, purplemonster said:

That's a good point, probably the most important factor is whether it is Taysom or Jameis, the rest is likely details 

I think this will be the only real factor. With Thomas out almost all of last year it didn't really affect Kamara.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:51 AM, The Grey Pilgrim said:

Can you say eight men in the box. I also have the 3rd pick and I'm not touching Kamara. Plain and sample the Saints are going to have trouble scoring points.

14 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

Can you say eight men in the box. I also have the 3rd pick and I'm not touching Kamara. Plain and sample the Saints are going to have trouble scoring points.

Jameis has never had a problem putting up points and I doubt that he will now. Points will definitely be a problem if the TE is still their QB. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Jameis has never had a problem putting up points and I doubt that he will now. Points will definitely be a problem if the TE is still their QB. 

42 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

This.

Other than turnovers, obviously a very bad thing, Winston was great his last year in TB.I

If he has his turnovers under control, he's easily a top 10 qb.

How could TB not have known that Winston needed lasik surgery?

I wanted him in Denver

he had more receiving talent than he will without thomas

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

This.

Other than turnovers, obviously a very bad thing, Winston was great his last year in TB.I

If he has his turnovers under control, he's easily a top 10 qb.

How could TB not have known that Winston needed lasik surgery?

I wanted him in Denver

Hey Opie I have notice you want every QB in Denver.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

As a Saints fan who would you like to see as the starter? Looking from the outside in I don't see how it can't be Jameis. 

TBH I don't think either one is a long term solution,  so I don't think it really matters. Either one will be entertaining in their own respect, so as long as they aren't an embarrassment I'll be fine.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

TBH I don't think either one is a long term solution,  so I don't think it really matters. Either one will be entertaining in their own respect, so as long as they aren't an embarrassment I'll be fine.

I'd love to see Jameis again, especially with good coaching and a good system. 

Edited by League_Champion

On 7/28/2021 at 8:52 PM, League_Champion said:

I'd love to see Jameis again, especially with good coaching and a good system. 

I don't think his problem can be fixed by coaching. He just makes poor decisions at times and not for a lack of study, ability or training. I think that it's something inherent in him as a person and I'm skeptical that it can be coached out of him.

Edited by rajncajn