[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vaxxed or unvaxxed?

irish

On 11/10/2021 at 12:42 AM, rajncajn said:

Define "finishing the job."

The job was supposed to be finished with masks and social distancing ("2 weeks to flatten the curve"),  then it was shots for the elderly and imunocompromised, then it was shots for all adults,  then it was shots for everyone over the age of 15, then it was mandatory shots for all adults who want to work,  now it's a 3rd shot, then it's shots for everyone over the age of 5, and now there's already talk of a 4th shot.

Thank you,  but I'll wait and see.

The OG shots weren't meant for Delta. Also this is a brand new vax and we weren't sure yet the staying power. Time and experience has shown protection does lessen somewhat over time and boosters have shown to help bring back immunity levels somewhat. It's proven to be a very safe vaccine making boosters even more of a sort of no brainer. The virus and our understanding of it changes over time. We need to be just as nimble or we will never overcome this thing. Good luck and stay healthy.

• Haha 1

And the "tyranny" calls are beyond stupid. Sorry but they just are. I fail to see an endgame where the big bad bogeyman government gains any sort of advantage over it's citizens by requiring masks, social distancing, or life saving vaccinations. Grow the (the really bad word) up and stop looking for black helicopters. Public health is an actual thing. The government actually does have a fiduciary responsibility in a pandemic to protect lives AND to protect the economy. Anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, etc only hold the rest of us hostage by dragging this thing out longer, costing lives and jobs.

• Like 3

On 11/29/2021 at 1:10 AM, CaP'N GRuNGe said:

And the "tyranny" calls are beyond stupid. Sorry but they just are. I fail to see an endgame where the big bad bogeyman government gains any sort of advantage over it's citizens by requiring masks, social distancing, or life saving vaccinations. Grow the (the really bad word) up and stop looking for black helicopters. Public health is an actual thing. The government actually does have a fiduciary responsibility in a pandemic to protect lives AND to protect the economy. Anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, etc only hold the rest of us hostage by dragging this thing out longer, costing lives and jobs.

You’re the stupid one, sorry to break it to you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2021 at 2:10 AM, CaP'N GRuNGe said:

Couldn't agree more.  I get it their body, their choice, but imagine if these folks had good sense and just made the smart personal and social decision, how different things could have been. Oh well, on we plod...

6 minutes ago, FinishTheDrill said:

How different would things have been?   

Far fewer hospitalizations, death and stress on our healthcare system. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, irish said:

Far fewer hospitalizations, death and stress on our healthcare system. 

Fewer deaths for sure.  I just read that there have been more deaths this year with 70% of the country (?) vaccinated than last year when no one was vaccinated.    I didnt look around to confirm if its true though. 

The vast majority of the stressors on the healthcare system (in our populous tristate area) occurred early on, which was pre-vaccine.   My wife is in healthcare in NJ and it is very much back to business as usual.   There is no overcrowding or triage stacking going on here. 

Some states that didnt have as much of an initial spike experienced it later on, peri or post vaccine.  Some of these, though not all,  garnered a ton of attention this fall.  

Vaccines have been very successful at reducing duration of illness and length of hospital stay, however a great "unvaccinated stressor" on the healthcare system really just isnt occurring here ,nor in most regions. 

If you are talking monetary costs, then I'd say sure.  yes.  Being vaccinated saves money in terms of hospital costs.  But then should we not be exploring other $ inefficiencies?  If so, we'd surely be castigating overweight people, as illnesses associated with poor weight management are astronomical year in and year out.  I dont know anyone who is proposing that though.  If its about money, we should be though, right?  

For the record, I dont think we should be "othering" overweight people or unvaccinated people.   

Interesting topic.  

4 minutes ago, FinishTheDrill said:

Fewer deaths for sure.  I just read that there have been more deaths this year with 70% of the country (?) vaccinated than last year when no one was vaccinated.    I didnt look around to confirm if its true though. 

Wow that is shocking, but appears to be true (see below). 2021 still has a month to go, so the disparity will surely increase but it is a small difference, just 1000 more deaths (386,000 vs 385,000) in 2021. 

I hope that people are not drawing a correlation between more people being vaccinated and there being more deaths. Things have been quite different this year compared to last, with far more things open, far less mask wearing and social distancing. There are more deaths occurring in those states with lower vax rates, than ones with higher rates. Another change is more younger people dying compared to last year. 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20211122/us-covid-deaths-2021-surpass-2020-total

Wow. I just stumbled over to this section of the Huddle for the first time. 

Given 16 pages of opinions, what do y'all expect to achieve? Is there a goal or is it just arguing for sport? Being a FF site we're all obviously competitive so I assume it's the latter.

Has anyone changed their opinion based on anything presented here? I'm genuinely asking. I have close friends with strong opinions that differ greatly from mine and this late in the game I (and most of my peers) have stopped giving advice as it's typically not wanted or acted upon. 

• Haha 1

How fast are you doc?  0-60 in 3 seconds, 4?  :) Can you outrun Motorola?

The thread may be long, but there's not much real discussion and no most people are not convinced by others to change their views either way. Doesn't help when people talk about micro chips implanted by the government or other wild conspiracies. 

12 hours ago, stevegrab said:

How fast are you doc?  0-60 in 3 seconds, 4?  :) Can you outrun Motorola?

The thread may be long, but there's not much real discussion and no most people are not convinced by others to change their views either way. Doesn't help when people talk about micro chips implanted by the government or other wild conspiracies. 

2.6 if you must know. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I mean this with all sincerity, these people can go (the really bad word) themselves...

"For the unvaccinated, you're looking at a winter of severe illness and death for yourselves, your families and the hospitals you may soon overwhelm."

This bullmanure was posted on Whitehouse.gov. What a bunch of (the really bad word)ing arrogant, narcissistic, pompous, chalupas.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I mean this with all sincerity, these people can go (the really bad word) themselves...

This bullmanure was posted on Whitehouse.gov. What a bunch of (the really bad word)ing arrogant, narcissistic, pompous, chalupas.

Count me in as one of the people who couldn't care less if that offends folks.  These edgy anti vaxxers, and the stupid manure they believe to be true, continue to be an anchor to society as a whole. The medical professionals I know have been imploring the administration to drive a harsher message on this variant for some time. The potential to overtax our hospitals, again, is a much bigger issue than hurting people's feelings.  :shrug:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Count me in as one of the people who couldn't care less if that offends folks.  These edgy anti vaxxers, and the stupid manure they believe to be true, continue to be an anchor to society as a whole. The medical professionals I know have been imploring the administration to drive a harsher message on this variant for some time. The potential to overtax our hospitals, again, is a much bigger issue than hurting people's feelings.  :shrug:

I couldn't agree more!  The ignorance is absolutely incredible. The data is all there, without the vaccination you run a greater risk of severe illness, hospitalization and even death. It drives me nutty why people won't protect themselves and others by getting vaccinated. But it's America and we have the freedom to choose... for the most part. 

Edited by irish
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

Please research imperfect / leaky vaccine...

(1) what is a leaky vaccine - Search (bing.com)

Get vaccinated asap, it's coming for you!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

I wonder if the people angry with the Biden WH had anything to say about the Trump WH and their messages about the Coronavirus back in early 2020?  You know how it would just disappear, was nothing to worry about etc. That "leader" pushed the division in this country, and made not getting vaccinated not wearing masks a symbol of his phony patriotism. 

The message is harsh because the reality is harsh. A local health expert said "we are all going to get it, just a matter of time, with more variants and ones that are spreading more like Omicron."  So if you're not vaccinated, and your chances are much higher of getting sick, being hospitalized, needing ventilators and ICU care, you are going to put a massive strain on the medical system. That means limited capacity for anything else from child birth to treating accident victims or people who have a heart attack.

Is that what the unvaxxed really want? Is that what their choise is about?  Or is it more about thumbing their nose at science, the government and of course those dreaded liberals who are destroying their utopian society? 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Please research imperfect / leaky vaccine...

(1) what is a leaky vaccine - Search (bing.com)

OK, done, the claims by some that mutations are caused by the vaccine are not true. NEXT

https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/are-leaky-vaccines-causing-the-new-covid-19-mutations

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

first, many people who voted for Trump may or may not have said anything but have become very unhappy with him. Trump/Rep supporters can evolve their opinion. But if you're going down that road, please acknowledge that when Trump suspended flights to/from China in Jan/Feb when this first happened, Dems got angry and said he was over-reacting.

It's important for your side to also recognize that Dems do the same thing as Repubs, but it does seem like Repub voters allow their opinion to change more than dem voters.

i hope y'all will consider voting third-party. Frankly, it doesn't matter which third party. What matters is that the pepsi and coke of politics know there are other options.

I voted for Trump the first time, but the second time, I voted for Kanye West. I did. Trump was as much as disappointment as Biden, Obama, Bush Jr.  I also voted for Obama the first time.

I voted for Bill Clinton (both times), but that was a mistake because he supported the repeal of Glass-Steagal (and I was ignorant back then). Bush Sr. was DEEP STATE. I liked Reagan and Carter, but Carter should've made Ross Perot VP and then stepped down.

I'll no longer vote for repubs or dems because neither of them care about us. 

Please tell me that that's a joke.

31 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

please tell me you want an open and respectful discussion

That was an open and respectful question. West is an absolute insult to the human race and even though voting for him is a waste of a vote, at the very least I was hoping it was meant as a joke, since you didn't like any candidate. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

I used to be angry with your side, but now that has shifted to sympathy. I no longer want the vaxxed to get sick. I legit feel bad for the vaxxed who really thought they were doing the right thing for themselves and for society. But the jab is injuring people's immune system. I'm really concerned that the booster shots will continue to injure ones immune system more and more.

FYI... I will get vaccinated when there is a vaccine. I have all the other vaccines... DTaP, MMR, etc. I think vaccines have been one of humanity's greatest achievements.

There are vaccines and they have shown to work quite effectively.  Just have to read the "right" news, but everyone is entitled to make their own choices, unfortunately, that's why there have been so many deaths that could've been avoided. Truly best of luck to you.  Even if we don't see eye to eye, I don't want to see you suffer. 

16 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

what vaccine has been safe and effective? I would take that today. 

Pfizer has worked beautifully, Moderna has as well.