[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vaxxed or unvaxxed?

irish

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I'll admit I'm happy not to be required to wear a mask in some places, or feel the need to in general. But that's a bit different from some who scream they were always worthless and did no good. 

Unless you were pretty much always clean-shaven and wearing a properly-fitting N95 mask, your ill-fitting cloth mask you bought off Amazon was likely not doing much.  Sorry for bursting your bubble.  

• Like 1

I'm honestly amazed there's still places that are full on mask mandate. I hardly wore a mask when I was supposed to and haven't gotten anything. My area has been pretty much maskless for over a year now and things have felt back to normal for a while. It's been quite some time since the last time I've heard of anyone even getting sick. 

5 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I'm honestly amazed there's still places that are full on mask mandate. I hardly wore a mask when I was supposed to and haven't gotten anything. My area has been pretty much maskless for over a year now and things have felt back to normal for a while. It's been quite some time since the last time I've heard of anyone even getting sick. 

Same here. I'll see a few people wearing masks every now and then but not many. We never really had a full on mask mandate though. I have no problem putting one on if asked but I haven't run into it much. 

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Same here. I'll see a few people wearing masks every now and then but not many. We never really had a full on mask mandate though. I have no problem putting one on if asked but I haven't run into it much. 

The funny thing is,  I've done pretty much everything we were told not to do. Family gatherings,  took a trip to Disney on a tour bus with hundreds of kids (Disney was packed BTW with virtually everyone maskless),  been to restaurants on a weekly basis, on crowded navy ships,   even Walmart!!! You'd think I'm playing Russian roulette,  but it really doesn't seem that way. 

12 hours ago, darin3 said:

Unless you were pretty much always clean-shaven and wearing a properly-fitting N95 mask, your ill-fitting cloth mask you bought off Amazon was likely not doing much.  Sorry for bursting your bubble.  

It was a simple precaution I felt was worth taking, you can disagree just like some do with regard to wearing seat belts or helmets on motorcycles or wearing a condom when having sex (to prevent pregnancy or disease). 

PS  N95 mask were virtually impossible to get early on, heck even a simple cloth or paper mask were not easy to find. 

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

It was a simple precaution I felt was worth taking, you can disagree just like some do with regard to wearing seat belts or helmets on motorcycles or wearing a condom when having sex (to prevent pregnancy or disease). 

PS  N95 mask were virtually impossible to get early on, heck even a simple cloth or paper mask were not easy to find. 

Meh.  You can use the seatbelt argument all you want, when in actuality it is the vaccine that is more akin to said seatbelt.  Wearing a mask is like wearing a helmet while driving... with the seatbelt on.  If you're immunocompromised, hypochondriac or fear mongerer, go ahead and keep wearing the mask if it makes you feel safer.

I've been in 3 airports in 24 hours and I'd say less than 5% of people are wearing masks.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2022 at 7:09 PM, darin3 said:

Meh.  You can use the seatbelt argument all you want, when in actuality it is the vaccine that is more akin to said seatbelt.  Wearing a mask is like wearing a helmet while driving... with the seatbelt on.  If you're immunocompromised, hypochondriac or fear mongerer, go ahead and keep wearing the mask if it makes you feel safer.

I've been in 3 airports in 24 hours and I'd say less than 5% of people are wearing masks.  

Wow those are the three options you consider when seeing somebody with a mask. What an enlightened view.

PS race car drivers wear seatbelts and helmets.

• Sad 1

On 4/24/2022 at 11:13 AM, darin3 said:

I have no issues with folks that want to wear a mask.  But don't MAKE me wear one when I am already "protected" by the vaccine.  At some point enough is enough.

Depends on how you define protected and the level of your risk tolerance.

The vaccines aren't perfect in preventing infection. They are pretty darn good for keeping you from getting very sick, being hospitalized, and kicking the bucket. That protection is waning over time, but still appears to be pretty strong if you got boosted.

I have seen no real data that shows what kind of affect that vaccines have against developing Long Covid, which is a possible outcome for a fairly significant percentage of cases. That crap can destroy your long term health. Not really something I want to mess with personally.

I'm one of those "crazy" people who still puts a mask on for most indoor activities and even usually going thru a drive thru. That last one is probably overkill. I usually wear just the surgical mask. It's pretty comfortable and I can breathe easily. Yes I know it's not the level of protection nof a higher rated mask but it gives me piece of mind. I'm doing some mitigation. 

I'm very happy that cases have dropped significantly. Not so happy they are creeping up. Have a feeling we're going to have another big spike in the fall. I may lose the mask soon but for now it's a minor inconvenience.

I have a Pearl Jam concert coming up in two weeks. Honestly not sure if I'm going to mask. I really don't want to but I also don't want to get sick and would feel terrible if I brought it home to my family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaP'N GRuNGe said:

Depends on how you define protected and the level of your risk tolerance.

The vaccines aren't perfect in preventing infection. They are pretty darn good for keeping you from getting very sick, being hospitalized, and kicking the bucket. That protection is waning over time, but still appears to be pretty strong if you got boosted.

I have seen no real data that shows what kind of affect that vaccines have against developing Long Covid, which is a possible outcome for a fairly significant percentage of cases. That crap can destroy your long term health. Not really something I want to mess with personally.

I'm one of those "crazy" people who still puts a mask on for most indoor activities and even usually going thru a drive thru. That last one is probably overkill. I usually wear just the surgical mask. It's pretty comfortable and I can breathe easily. Yes I know it's not the level of protection nof a higher rated mask but it gives me piece of mind. I'm doing some mitigation. 

I'm very happy that cases have dropped significantly. Not so happy they are creeping up. Have a feeling we're going to have another big spike in the fall. I may lose the mask soon but for now it's a minor inconvenience.

I have a Pearl Jam concert coming up in two weeks. Honestly not sure if I'm going to mask. I really don't want to but I also don't want to get sick and would feel terrible if I brought it home to my family.

I think pretty much everyone here has said that they respect those who still want to wear a mask and also said that, when asked to, they have no issues with that request. I don't think anyone would call you "crazy" for wanting to wear one either. I think pretty much everyone here that "opposes" them simply opposes being forced to wear them everywhere, all the time. How I feel about you wanting to wear one going through a drive-thru really doesn't matter as long as how you feel about me NOT wearing one through a drive-thru doesn't matter either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

This.

Live and let live. Golden Rule. You do you.  Etc. 

Agreed, unless you doing you hurts someone else or infringes on their rights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irish said:

Agreed, unless you doing you hurts someone else or infringes on their rights. 

Note, that was the argument being made. That by not masking up we were infringing on people's right to live. And, no, that is absolutely not an exaggeration.

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Which is kinda what's been happening all along, huh? 

4 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Note, that was the argument being made. That by not masking up we were infringing on people's right to live. And, no, that is absolutely not an exaggeration.

Very true but certainly not cut and dry which is what Opie is referring to when he says optics.  People have the right, or so they thought, to wear a mask or not. However, by not wearing a mask, could it be considered impacting the health of other people, especially early on in covid times. 

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

I wear a mask in clinic with patients but I dropped from the n95 to a surgical mask. But if I hear a patient coughing or sniffling I switch to the n95. Our cases plummeted so I'm not too concerned but why take chances. 

I do remove it on occasion for my deaf patients that struggle. But I had one crotchety hard of hearing bastard say "take that God damned mask off!" I looked at him and said no. He clearly hates the world and was rude to everyone so no acceptions made for him. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

I wear a mask in clinic with patients but I dropped from the n95 to a surgical mask. But if I hear a patient coughing or sniffling I switch to the n95. Our cases plummeted so I'm not too concerned but why take chances. 

I do remove it on occasion for my deaf patients that struggle. But I had one crotchety hard of hearing bastard say "take that God damned mask off!" I looked at him and said no. He clearly hates the world and was rude to everyone so no acceptions made for him. 

If you don't mind me asking, what is your specialty? See, I have this rash...

Assuming you're a GP or something similar, you handle multitudes of different people on a daily basis, very closely, and in an enclosed space. That makes sense that you might want a little added protection for yourself and your patients. 

7 hours ago, rajncajn said:

If you don't mind me asking, what is your specialty? See, I have this rash...

Assuming you're a GP or something similar, you handle multitudes of different people on a daily basis, very closely, and in an enclosed space. That makes sense that you might want a little added protection for yourself and your patients. 

Yep but 1fastdoc still had to deal with some chalupa yelling at him to take his mask off.

Remember DeSantis yelling at the HS kids (almost 2 months ago, when mask wearing was still very common and required in many businesses and other places). 

That's the kind of stuff I'm referring to, there are people who are going to get belligerent because somebody else is wearing a mask. Or just insult and call others names if they're wearing a mask, like the post early labeling mask wears as either a fear monger or a hypochondriac (unless they're immuno-compromised). So which category does 1fastdoc fall into when he's wearing a mask? 

• Sad 1