irish

Vaxxed or unvaxxed?

2 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Starting experiencing minor symptoms on Wednesday evening.  Just got a home test and it came out positive.  

Not sure if I even would have grabbed a home test if I wasn't scheduled to fly out Monday morning for work. 

Hate to hear that, hope it's a minor case as with the others.

Yeah, I'm sort of in a similar boat. I got the call last night and I was already experiencing what would be considered symptoms. I had headache, slightly scratchy throat, sneezing, sinus drainage and a minor cough, but that's pretty much my life this time of year, every year, regardless of Covid. So, unless I notice something different or I think I've been exposed, I don't worry about testing. Having known I may have been exposed, plus having some symptoms and the fact that we're driving out of town next week I decided to try the At-home test. But since it was recalled, I went ahead and scheduled at the clinic & boy was that an experience.

I got online & went to the site for the clinic we always use. A long while back they quit taking walk-ins for testing & you had to set up an appointment. The last few times we were tested it was usually for the next morning, but this time the earliest they could get me in was late afternoon Saturday. So, my options were wait or go to the drive-thru testing that the hospital set up. The problem with that is you have to wait 24 hours to get your results and I really didn't want to self-isolate into the weekend because we already had plans. So, my wife suggested another doctor's office that a friend had said they didn't have to wait.

This morning I get there at 8 and walk into their lobby. It's a 12x12 room with barely room for 6 chairs and there's five sketchy looking dudes already in there who all look like they drug in from either a construction site or an underpass and only three of them wearing masks. One dude looked like he was on the verge of snapping, another was visibly agitated at the Biden speech that was playing on the TV and another dude was coughing with his mask hanging around his ear.:weird: Now, you all know that I'm not a big fan of the masks, but at a doctor's office where people are there specifically to get Covid tested? There was some poor little old Vietnamese lady who kept coming in and then going back out when more guys showed up. She saw me go out to my truck and they must have called my name because she poked her head out and waved at me. I just shook my head no and waved her off. I texted my wife: "I'm not doing this. If I don't have Covid now I'm going to get it sitting in there."

I called up the place where I had my appointment and asked if they could fit me in any earlier. They told me that I could get on a waiting list for today, but the appointments were priority. I said I was fine with that and went on. They took my info and sent me out. I waited in my truck and they called me about 45 minutes later to come in. I took the test and waited about another 45 minutes because they were fairly busy &, from what I could hear, they were working with a difficult patient. Not belligerent, I think he may have been autistic. Anyway, finally got my results and thankfully I've managed to dodge yet another Covid bullet.

44 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Starting experiencing minor symptoms on Wednesday evening.  Just got a home test and it came out positive.  

Not sure if I even would have grabbed a home test if I wasn't scheduled to fly out Monday morning for work. 

In all seriousness, I do hope you feel better. Staying hydrated is extremely important. 

6 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Yeah, I'm sort of in a similar boat. I got the call last night and I was already experiencing what would be considered symptoms. I had headache, slightly scratchy throat, sneezing, sinus drainage and a minor cough, but that's pretty much my life this time of year, every year, regardless of Covid. So, unless I notice something different or I think I've been exposed, I don't worry about testing. Having known I may have been exposed, plus having some symptoms and the fact that we're driving out of town next week I decided to try the At-home test. But since it was recalled, I went ahead and scheduled at the clinic & boy was that an experience.

I got online & went to the site for the clinic we always use. A long while back they quit taking walk-ins for testing & you had to set up an appointment. The last few times we were tested it was usually for the next morning, but this time the earliest they could get me in was late afternoon Saturday. So, my options were wait or go to the drive-thru testing that the hospital set up. The problem with that is you have to wait 24 hours to get your results and I really didn't want to self-isolate into the weekend because we already had plans. So, my wife suggested another doctor's office that a friend had said they didn't have to wait.

This morning I get there at 8 and walk into their lobby. It's a 12x12 room with barely room for 6 chairs and there's five sketchy looking dudes already in there who all look like they drug in from either a construction site or an underpass and only three of them wearing masks. One dude looked like he was on the verge of snapping, another was visibly agitated at the Biden speech that was playing on the TV and another dude was coughing with his mask hanging around his ear.:weird: Now, you all know that I'm not a big fan of the masks, but at a doctor's office where people are there specifically to get Covid tested? There was some poor little old Vietnamese lady who kept coming in and then going back out when more guys showed up. She saw me go out to my truck and they must have called my name because she poked her head out and waved at me. I just shook my head no and waved her off. I texted my wife: "I'm not doing this. If I don't have Covid now I'm going to get it sitting in there."

I called up the place where I had my appointment and asked if they could fit me in any earlier. They told me that I could get on a waiting list for today, but the appointments were priority. I said I was fine with that and went on. They took my info and sent me out. I waited in my truck and they called me about 45 minutes later to come in. I took the test and waited about another 45 minutes because they were fairly busy &, from what I could hear, they were working with a difficult patient. Not belligerent, I think he may have been autistic. Anyway, finally got my results and thankfully I've managed to dodge yet another Covid bullet.

Good Lord.  Glad to hear you are negative. I have a Tele call into the my family doc today.  I wouldn't be opposed to getting a lab test.  Also wouldn't mind if that came back negative before Monday morning.

1 minute ago, Bobby Brown said:

Good Lord.  Glad to hear you are negative. I have a Tele call into the my family doc today.  I wouldn't be opposed to getting a lab test.  Also wouldn't mind if that came back negative before Monday morning.

I get that. I really wish there were more accurate rapid tests out there or at least provide you the data after your test is sent to the lab. I, for one, would really appreciate lab verification and know which version of the virus I'm carrying. I'm also a bit skeptical about the accuracy of non-lab testing and how they're being handled. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out they are only putting a small percentage of positive tests in a lab to check for accuracy and strain. And, as I said before, I highly doubt they are notifying anyone for false-positives because all of the ones I've heard about are from people getting re-tested and/or having a home test give them a false-positive.

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

Wow that is quite the experience. There are a lot of people that don't have a flexible schedule that would allow them to have done all that. Glad you're negative.

I've been struggling with a cough for 2+ weeks now, but I've had this kind of stuff before including bronchitis a couple of years ago. Since I've got no other symptoms (body aches, fever, loss of taste, etc) and have been steadily improving (crud in my chest is nearly gone and far less coughing) I never got tested. If they self tests were easier to come by, I'd have done that already. If I were out and about more, or had a family here in the house I'd be more concerned and have gotten some kind of test. But I have very limited interactions with others, 2-3 times a week at the gym (I've seen a few more, mostly older, people there lately wearing masks) and church/shopping where I wear a mask already. 

7 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

rest it up

Listen to this NY Times leftist Journalist, Bari Weiss, admit that way more leftists actually agree with so-called anti-vaxxers ...

https://vidmax.com/video/210299-brainwashed-ny-times-leftists-has-a-moment-of-clarity-i-m-done-with-covid-says-more-leftists-agree-but-are-scared-to-speak-out

Wow. A journalist I've never heard of is tired of CV?  This is earth shattering and will be a game changer for society as a whole.  

Looks like we're on the downslide of the Omicron variant.  Defintely fewer deaths but hospital occupancy was at capacity throughout middle TN last week.  There are reports out there that Omicron offers better immunity than vaccines but we've also had multiple cases where individuals got over it, tested clear and then got reinfected.  So, the immunity issue is still unresolved.  

I can tell you this, while a single booster is advocated publicly, our ID docs all get boosters every 3 months.  

The potential problem is that Omicron is generally less severe and this will reduce how many people get vaccinated/boosters.  One possibility is that it becomes like most of the other coronaviruses - a common cold.  The other is that we get another mutation that causes the cytokine storm, which led to so many long term covid issues for some.

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 2:23 PM, rajncajn said:

I get that. I really wish there were more accurate rapid tests out there or at least provide you the data after your test is sent to the lab. I, for one, would really appreciate lab verification and know which version of the virus I'm carrying. I'm also a bit skeptical about the accuracy of non-lab testing and how they're being handled. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out they are only putting a small percentage of positive tests in a lab to check for accuracy and strain. And, as I said before, I highly doubt they are notifying anyone for false-positives because all of the ones I've heard about are from people getting re-tested and/or having a home test give them a false-positive.

Actually, a good screening test for a contagious disease would have a very high sensitivity, which means more false positives.  The home Covid tests are the opposite - they have a high specificity meaning that if it's positive, it's pretty accurate.  Conversely, the sensitivity rate of one home test was reported in sponsored studies to be around 84% but when the CDC did their own testing it was down to 64%, meaning false negatives.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Wow. A journalist I've never heard of is tired of CV?  This is earth shattering and will be a game changer for society as a whole.  

Not just any journalist you've never heard of, but "a Brainwashed NY Times Leftists" so I'm sure the story is totally unbiased and worth reading....NOT

57 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Not just any journalist you've never heard of, but "a Brainwashed NY Times Leftists" so I'm sure the story is totally unbiased and worth reading....NOT

Next thing you know anti vaxxers will be drinking urine to own the brainwashed libs.  

NC man won't get vaccinated in order to get a kidney transplant, he's rather "die free" :rolleyes:  :crazy: 

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/i-will-die-free-unvaccinated-burke-county-man-denied-kidney-transplant-by-hospital/OJGAFURR4FGERJB7VT24P5RED4/

Yes dialysis 3 times a week, you sure look free doing that. Why are you trusting that part of medicine but not the vaccine?

"I was born free I'll die free"  but in between I listened to medical professionals, had artificial legs, and other surgeries. I was even vaccinated as a kid in order to attend school (or did NC not do that, I had heard those were part of going to school all across the US). 

Now cue the CONs telling us how the death panels are in action and are killing this guy for not getting the vaccine. 

20 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

NC man won't get vaccinated in order to get a kidney transplant, he's rather "die free" :rolleyes:  :crazy: 

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/i-will-die-free-unvaccinated-burke-county-man-denied-kidney-transplant-by-hospital/OJGAFURR4FGERJB7VT24P5RED4/

Yes dialysis 3 times a week, you sure look free doing that. Why are you trusting that part of medicine but not the vaccine?

"I was born free I'll die free"  but in between I listened to medical professionals, had artificial legs, and other surgeries. I was even vaccinated as a kid in order to attend school (or did NC not do that, I had heard those were part of going to school all across the US). 

Now cue the CONs telling us how the death panels are in action and are killing this guy for not getting the vaccine. 

The con is that they are denying him a (the really bad word)ing kidney transplant over a (the really bad word)ing vaccine. I don't think the guy is a hero or anything for his decision, but seriously... I'd sue the hell out of them & hope that if he dies as a result they get a boatload of cash from it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

The con is that they are denying him a (the really bad word)ing kidney transplant over a (the really bad word)ing vaccine. I don't think the guy is a hero or anything for his decision, but seriously... I'd sue the hell out of them & hope that if he dies as a result they get a boatload of cash from it.

Getting a transplant has many rules, including taking all kinds of vaccines. They are not DENYING him anything, he is not willing to follow the rules.

If they sue isn't it just a big cash grab to get rich of his death? 

41 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Getting a transplant has many rules, including taking all kinds of vaccines. They are not DENYING him anything, he is not willing to follow the rules.

If they sue isn't it just a big cash grab to get rich of his death? 

Vaccines are a recommendation, not a requirement. So, yes, by refusing to perform the surgery unless he gets a Covid vaccine they are in fact denying him the surgery.

14 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Vaccines are a recommendation, not a requirement. So, yes, by refusing to perform the surgery unless he gets a Covid vaccine they are in fact denying him the surgery.

Who said that? Transplants are not just a simple surgery, you need to be on the list and approved. Part of that is making sure the person receiving the transplant has the best possible chance of surviving and making good use of the new organ. That includes being vaccinated. 

Let his family sue if they like, that's part of our system in this country. Its just a cash grab.

25 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

sounds like you're correct about it just being recommendations and guidelines... Which Vaccinations Do I Need? | National Kidney Foundation and in fact, advise against some vaccines due to patients being immune-compromised.

but I think your main point is... what happened with healthcare providers that they feel okay with rejecting services, ignoring patients?

Edited by LordOpie

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Getting a transplant has many rules, including taking all kinds of vaccines. They are not DENYING him anything, he is not willing to follow the rules

What rules? I'm not sure how it works but do you have to be vaccinated for Chicken Pox or The Flu as well? If not why would Covid be any different? 

Just now, League_Champion said:

What rules? I'm not sure how it works but do you have to be vaccinated for Chicken Pox or The Flu as well? If not why would Covid be any different? 

well, covid is under EUA, so I'm not sure how it can be mandated for anything, even if flu was mandated for organ transplants.

29 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Who said that? Transplants are not just a simple surgery, you need to be on the list and approved. Part of that is making sure the person receiving the transplant has the best possible chance of surviving and making good use of the new organ. That includes being vaccinated.

What the hell difference does it make if he's vaccinated or not? You're crazy! 

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

What the hell difference does it make if he's vaccinated or not? You're crazy! 

I can see that for hepatitis and maybe a limited number of other vaxxes since a patient takes immune-suppression medicines to reduce the chance of rejection.  But hepatitis is way more dangerous than flu/covid.

Rules are rules, they apply to everybody including those who don't believe in the vaccine. The place he wants to have the transplant done REQUIRES vaccination for COVID, in order to have the best chance of success and not waste that donated organ on a more risky case. I bet the persons over all health and other factors are used to decide who gets a transplant. 

He is welcome to try and find another transplant center that doesn't have these rules, that is what the facility told him. 

Next up, the CONS will tell us these are death panels....or just insult others and tell them they are crazy. Or cling to old stuff about the vaccines being only approved for emergency use.