[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vaxxed or unvaxxed?

irish

yeesh, a page ago i was reading how them masks don't stop nothin from escaping you.  now this page it's keeping all that bile stuck inside you.

those poor covid nurses that wear masks all day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LordOpie said:

I thought you were done being a dick?

When did that happen?  I mean, I just dropped the Lor from your name.  :shrug:

Ask any of my leaguemates, I may be a dick to them here but would gladly buy them a beer and hang out with them "IRL".  

Don't be so sensitive.  You should feel blessed that I actually unblocked you.  :D

13 hours ago, darin3 said:

When did that happen?  I mean, I just dropped the Lor from your name.  :shrug:

Ask any of my leaguemates, I may be a dick to them here but would gladly buy them a beer and hang out with them "IRL".  

Don't be so sensitive.  You should feel blessed that I actually unblocked you.  :D

To be fair, you only buy beers to apologize for being a dick

Adding :) to show I was joking

Edited by Big Country
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2022 at 6:57 PM, League_Champion said:

Wow Booby, that's very poetic. Try using common sense sometimes and stop worrying about the politics of it all. Wearing a mask was never healthy, and even you know that. Mask up Son, they said so. 

blah-blah-blah from the hub of disinformation

I'd say all the cases of COVID you had warped your brain, but you were like that before COVID. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

blah-blah-blah from the hub of disinformation

I'd say all the cases of COVID you had warped your brain, but you were like that before COVID. 

Disinformation? Even the fear mongers in here have come to their senses regarding the efficiency of masks, or lack there of. You were bamboozled. I don't care about your politics but just call it like it is. I'd probably have an ounce of respect for you if you did. 

On 5/5/2022 at 10:27 AM, rajncajn said:

Most people are constantly touching  their mask, not wearing a properly fitted one, adjusting it, wearing it under their nose, pulling it off and on, removing it to talk to people and rarely even washing them. They are disgusting petri dishes that you wear over your mouth and nose that not only catch what you are breathing out, but what you are breathing in as well.

This 100%. It's like using a broken condom. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:02 AM, League_Champion said:

Disinformation? Even the fear mongers in here have come to their senses regarding the efficiency of masks, or lack there of. You were bamboozled. I don't care about your politics but just call it like it is. I'd probably have an ounce of respect for you if you did. 

Who are the fear mongers in here and when did they "come to their senses". Did they agree that virtually all masks (other than a perfect fitting N95) are pretty much useless? 

You think I care if you respect me, wow you're pretty full of yourself, but not surprising considering your idol.

Most of the studies looking at prolonged mask use suffered from multiple flaws, such as selection bias, observational bias, recall bias and limited power (small sample size).  In looking deeper, the objective findings were limited to skin issues when N95 masks were studied in particular.  One small study noted cognitive impairment but that has not been substantiated as far as I'm aware.  

That said, there are many of us who wear masks for prolonged periods of time and have suffered no ill consequences over the last 20 years.  One good way to eval systemic complications is to look at prolonged mask use in those with asthma and in that population no issues have ever been demonstrated.  The older N95's were truly fitted, far better than the current one size fits all models and used all day long by people in Infectious Disease wards.  They sucked to breathe through especially during 8+ hours surgeries, but there have not been any significant health issues linked to them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

That said, there are many of us who wear masks for prolonged periods of time and have suffered no ill consequences over the last 20 years.  One good way to eval systemic complications is to look at prolonged mask use in those with asthma and in that population no issues have ever been demonstrated.  The older N95's were truly fitted, far better than the current one size fits all models and used all day long by people in Infectious Disease wards.  They sucked to breathe through especially during 8+ hours surgeries, but there have not been any significant health issues linked to them.

Thanks. I asked the question about the harmful effects rather rhetorically because I found the claim rather dubious, lacking detail, and already knew it lacked credibility.

I'm sure everyone is shocked that LC's idea of common sense didn't have one iota of sense to it.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

Most of the studies looking at prolonged mask use suffered from multiple flaws, such as selection bias, observational bias, recall bias and limited power (small sample size).  In looking deeper, the objective findings were limited to skin issues when N95 masks were studied in particular.  One small study noted cognitive impairment but that has not been substantiated as far as I'm aware.  

I don't think the question is necessarily about prolonged mask wearing. I think it's more about hygiene in regards to mask wearing. Whereas a medical professional uses either disposable masks or has them professionally cleaned,  most people likely weren't doing that and many likely not much at all. I know my wife washed ours religiously,  but she saw lots of kids in her class that obviously didn't. I could see how that might have adverse affects health wise.

2 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I don't think the question is necessarily about prolonged mask wearing. I think it's more about hygiene in regards to mask wearing. Whereas a medical professional uses either disposable masks or has them professionally cleaned,  most people likely weren't doing that and many likely not much at all. I know my wife washed ours religiously,  but she saw lots of kids in her class that obviously didn't. I could see how that might have adverse affects health wise.

lol, you don't want to know how most of us wore masks.  When Covid hit, the N95's disappeared.  So I'd wear mine until the rubber strap broke, usually about a week.  In the ICU, the nurses kept their N95 in an individual bag when they weren't wearing them. I have no idea how many days they used theirs.  In the OR, we would use them once, put our intitials on them, and then they'd get sent off to be reprocessed and returned.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

So then it's not that the masks were ineffective in their intended purpose, it's just that people in general are nasty.

5 minutes ago, Big Country said:

So then it's not that the masks were ineffective in their intended purpose, it's just that people in general are nasty.

One doesn't preclude the other. A regular dollar store mask is obviously not going to be as effective as an n95 and one that you don't even bother to wash, probably less so.

That seems like simple logic to me and I don't really see why I'm getting kickback for thinking that. I never said they were totally ineffective. I said I didn't think they were very effective and I questioned whether it was worth it to bother wearing one if you've been fully vaccinated and not otherwise at risk. Maybe there are complexities that are beyond my simple thinking that I am not taking into account. I didn't think that was such a controversial stance.  :shrug:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

lol, you don't want to know how most of us wore masks.  When Covid hit, the N95's disappeared.  So I'd wear mine until the rubber strap broke, usually about a week.  In the ICU, the nurses kept their N95 in an individual bag when they weren't wearing them. I have no idea how many days they used theirs.  In the OR, we would use them once, put our intitials on them, and then they'd get sent off to be reprocessed and returned.

So y'all pretty much used the N95's exclusively? I understand that you did it out of necessity,  but wouldn't you say reusing the un-cleaned masks put you more at risk?

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

One doesn't preclude the other. A regular dollar store mask is obviously not going to be as effective as an n95 and one that you don't even bother to wash, probably less so.

That seems like simple logic to me and I don't really see why I'm getting kickback for thinking that. I never said they were totally ineffective. I said I didn't think they were very effective and I questioned whether it was worth it to bother wearing one if you've been fully vaccinated and not otherwise at risk. Maybe there are complexities that are beyond my simple thinking that I am not taking into account. I didn't think that was such a controversial stance.  :shrug:

+1 and if it sounded like I thought differently, I may have been speaking in hyperbole since that's all that's really how things said here anyways... or at least a couple folks tend to express themselves that way.  :shrug: 

4 hours ago, rajncajn said:

So y'all pretty much used the N95's exclusively? I understand that you did it out of necessity,  but wouldn't you say reusing the un-cleaned masks put you more at risk?

I'd rather have an N95 I used yesterday than a regular surgical mask when breathing in air expelled by a pt with Covid.  

5 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Besides the medical community nobody used or is using an N95 mask. They used the same smelly compromised mask over and over and over again. 

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Perhaps I misunderstood your statements - I took it as if you were saying that masks in general are ineffective when it seems the overwhelming evidence is that a properly worn mask provides/provided a decent level of additional protection.

Realistically though, when taking into account the number of people that merely wore them over their chin without covering mouth/nose, removed them when speaking/sneezing/coughing, etc., then I would agree that in practice they did not provide the level of protection they should have, but that was a function of incompetent use and not flawed efficacy.

And I tend to agree with you regarding wearing a mask when fully vaccinated. I don't believe that I have worn a mask since the mandates in California were lifted - I never really wore them outdoors, that seemed silly unless in a crowd, but would wear them indoors. At this point in most situations I'm comfortable without a mask. Short of some scenario where there is likely to be prolonged close quarters contact with a group of people (and excluding medical facilities), I don't really foresee many scenarios where I'd think a mask was necessary for someone that was fully vaccinated.

• Like 1