[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vaxxed or unvaxxed?

irish

On 5/20/2022 at 7:52 PM, Bobby Brown said:

Does it tend to spread among people who use "common sense" and wear the same pair of underwear for weeks at a time?

Actually, it tends to spread via people who have, among other things,  anal sex with one another.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/23/monkeypox-outbreak-is-primarily-spreading-through-sex-who-officials-say.html

On 5/10/2022 at 6:42 PM, rajncajn said:

One doesn't preclude the other. A regular dollar store mask is obviously not going to be as effective as an n95 and one that you don't even bother to wash, probably less so.

That seems like simple logic to me and I don't really see why I'm getting kickback for thinking that. I never said they were totally ineffective. I said I didn't think they were very effective and I questioned whether it was worth it to bother wearing one if you've been fully vaccinated and not otherwise at risk. Maybe there are complexities that are beyond my simple thinking that I am not taking into account. I didn't think that was such a controversial stance.  :shrug:

Its not a controversial stance.  Nor would it be if you dropped the "fully vaccination part".  

• 2 weeks later...

I am shocked I haven't gotten this yet.  I am nearly convinced I had it and just had zero symptoms or confused allergies (runny nose, sneezing, etc.) with COVID.

My wife's had it twice and somehow me and the kids have avoided testing positive.

I'm vaxxed/boosted and am pretty sure it's helped - if not completely avoiding getting it or simply making the symptoms a nothing-burger.

Not interested in the next booster just yet.... because I've avoided anything serious I'm just going to see how it all plays out.

On another note, I am so glad we are mostly over the whole "mask" thing.... especially on airplanes.  I already have enough issues breathing (sinus issues) without a cloth mask making things even more difficult.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

I am shocked I haven't gotten this yet.  I am nearly convinced I had it and just had zero symptoms or confused allergies (runny nose, sneezing, etc.) with COVID

You probably have had it. Both times my wife had it she just had a scratchy throat for 2 days, nothing else. My kids have had it numerous times with barely any noticeable symptoms. I feel like if you have kids you've had to have Covid at least once. It spreads like wildfire in school. 

I get scratchy throats often, but no kids around and generally far less interaction with groups. But we had a conference from work last week, and sure enough one of our staff (who I had spent time with during the event) had a raspy throat and tested positive when they got home. I took 2 tests over the next few days and was negative. No second booster here either.

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I get scratchy throats often, but no kids around and generally far less interaction with groups. But we had a conference from work last week, and sure enough one of our staff (who I had spent time with during the event) had a raspy throat and tested positive when they got home. I took 2 tests over the next few days and was negative. No second booster here either.

My 11-year old, for the past few days, has had a sore throat.  We tested her yesterday and she was negative (thankfully, because she "graduated" from 5th grade today).

This stuff is just so confusing.  "Colds" will never be the same... or will they?

On 6/22/2022 at 5:37 PM, darin3 said:

On another note, I am so glad we are mostly over the whole "mask" thing.... especially on airplanes.  I already have enough issues breathing (sinus issues) without a cloth mask making things even more difficult.  

The BA.4 and BA.5 strains appear to be able to infect cells despite vaccine status and despite recent Omicon infection with the earlier strains.  We're basically going to see geographical waves of infections thoughout the country this summer.  And the people getting these variants have more flu like symptoms with headaches, congestion, etc that lasts about a week.  It's still a little bitch of a virus and it's still going to screw up the economy.  China did a great job with this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

The BA.4 and BA.5 strains appear to be able to infect cells despite vaccine status and despite recent Omicon infection with the earlier strains.  We're basically going to see geographical waves of infections thoughout the country this summer.  And the people getting these variants have more flu like symptoms with headaches, congestion, etc that lasts about a week.  It's still a little bitch of a virus and it's still going to screw up the economy.  China did a great job with this one.

My motorcycle group just wrapped up their annual national event in Cape Girardeau MO, and I've already heard from 3 people who were that they tested positive during or after the event (out of about 250 attendees). Not saying it is a super spreader, but any time you mingle with a lot more people from other areas you are exposing yourself to more unknowns. 

Apparently I'm an anti-vaxxer now, so says Merriam-Webster:

anti-vaxxer

ˌan-tē-ˈvak-sər

NOUN

plural anti-vaxxers

a person who opposes vaccination or laws that mandate vaccination

Someone said this to me a while back (not here) that because I was anti-mandate, that I was an anti-vaxxer. Despite being adamant about not being anti-vaccine, I get this response with a link to the definition. I meant to post this back when it happened, but forgot. Then I was reminded of it from a Mike Rowe podcast where he was talking about the same thing.

1 hour ago, rajncajn said:

Someone said this to me a while back (not here) that because I was anti-mandate, that I was an anti-vaxxer. Despite being adamant about not being anti-vaccine, I get this response with a link to the definition. I meant to post this back when it happened, but forgot. Then I was reminded of it from a Mike Rowe podcast where he was talking about the same thing.

Ugh.  This is one of those things that I'm truly on the fence with.  

6 hours ago, rajncajn said:

I think the issue with being against the COVID vaccine mandates is many were only against that specific one, not mandates in general or ones that require people to be vaccinated for various reasons. I heard/read that military personnel are often required to get a vaccine of kinds before going to certain parts of the world. How many who came out against COVID vaccine requirements were against those? 

40 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I heard/read that military personnel are often required to get a vaccine of kinds before going to certain parts of the world. How many who came out against COVID vaccine requirements were against those? 

You have no idea. The Anthrax vaccine killed, disabled and put down a lot of soldiers, especially at the beginning of the Gulf War. I've had a ton of vaccines, none of which I was thrilled about. 

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Does anyone wonder if some of these vaccines that we force on infants may cause or be related to the surge in Autism over the years? Is it possible? 

That has been brought up by antivaxxers and was widely refuted. Autism is something one is born with  and the rise in numbers is due to it being more recognized and diagnosed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Big John said:

That has been brought up by antivaxxers and was widely refuted. Autism is something one is born with  and the rise in numbers is due to it being more recognized and diagnosed. 

I'm not debating that, I'm just asking the question. My Son is on the spectrum and it seems like more and more other kids are as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an interesting thing that's happening.

Mimi and two of the kids with us in the house have tested positive for Covid. I have continued to test negative, including a pcr test yesterday. I feel like total dog crap, but not the nasty virus, yet.

Not quite sure what's going on with this and it appears my son and I both have something similar where my wife and daughter have a different deal going on. 

I will test again tomorrow or Tuesday. 

17 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Mimi and two of the kids with us in the house have tested positive for Covid. I have continued to test negative, including a pcr test yesterday. I feel like total dog crap, but not the nasty virus, yet.

Not quite sure what's going on with this and it appears my son and I both have something similar where my wife and daughter have a different deal going on. 

Sounds like you have covid, positive test incoming...

My sister just returned from a summer camp held at our church HQ in Michigan. They had a COVID outbreak near the end of their first week, sent as many of the kids home as they could that weekend, but some who had COVID as well as some on the staff (including her son) had to stay. She said that none of her group of ladies who worked in the kitchen tested positive, while people in the other groups (student, counselors, teachers) all did. They suspect somebody showed up with it, and one fool who was there did not even want to get a test. They had a second camp scheduled in 2 weeks, and canceled that as well, but COVID is only one reason they also have an issue with their water pump failing and needing to be replaced which cannot be done in time. 

Almost every large gathering I've heard of going on the past few months have resulted in several people getting it, most without horrible symptoms but some did require days of bed rest. 

10 hours ago, gilthorp said:

I've pretty much been some degree of sick this entire summer. Whether it be just minor sinus issues or full blown flu-like symptoms. One thing that has never really gone away is this minor,  but nagging cough. Just when I think it's getting better I'll have a coughing spell or just that itch deep in my chest. There's been quite a few people around our office get it but last time I got really sick I tested negative. Last week I was feeling bad again and since there were a couple in my office that got it I just worked from home for the week.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, gilthorp said:

I got omnicron variant in the winter and spread it to the wife and kid.  I tested positive with initial symptoms.  Wife and kid didn't test positive with initial symptoms and it took wife about 5 days after symptoms until she got a positive test.  

Don't know if she had something else at first or it was psychological...who knows. 

50 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

I got omnicron variant in the winter and spread it to the wife and kid.  I tested positive with initial symptoms.  Wife and kid didn't test positive with initial symptoms and it took wife about 5 days after symptoms until she got a positive test.  

Don't know if she had something else at first or it was psychological...who knows. 

I'm pretty much to the point where if I'm sick,  I work from home and stay home as much as possible. I'm over running to the clinic every single time I get a cold. Between the at home and clinic tests, I can't even count how many times I've been tested and have never popped positive. I'm certain I've had it at some point,  but why keep testing when I know I'm going to quarantine anyway?

3 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I'm certain I've had it at some point

At this point I'm shocked I haven't tested positive... and/or been symptomatic enough to test more than the handful of times I have.

With the amount of time I spend in stores and around folks in other settings (such as travel), I'm bound to get it at some point.  Unless I have some superpowerful immunity, which wouldn't surprise me.  Never had the flu, rarely get sick (other than yearly mild-to-moderate sinus infection).  I've read on several occasions that it could be a blood type thing.  I think both of my kids inherited my blood type and they've avoided it too.

12 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Yup. + this morning.

Well Irish called that, but I think you also knew it was likely. I presume you limited contact with others during that time. My sister was concerned about returning home from that cam when her son (25) had it, since her husband recently had a fall that broke several ribs. If he got COVID or anything that caused him to start coughing it could be very bad for him.

Hope it clears up soon.