[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vaxxed or unvaxxed?

irish

1 hour ago, gilthorp said:

Yup. + this morning.

Rest up and feel better soon. 

The patterns with Omicron susceptibility and severity have been quite variable.  I've been closely exposed at least twice that I know of but never got symptomatic or tested positive.  I had Alpha in 2020 and 2 vaccines with the last being 9 months ago. An Infectious Disease friend has experienced the same thing.  We suspect that we've had multiple mild exposures, enough to kick the immune system into gear and make more antibodies and t-cells but not enough to overwhelm the immune system and cause infection.  Just a theory.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

The patterns with Omicron susceptibility and severity have been quite variable.  I've been closely exposed at least twice that I know of but never got symptomatic or tested positive.  I had Alpha in 2020 and 2 vaccines with the last being 9 months ago. An Infectious Disease friend has experienced the same thing.  We suspect that we've had multiple mild exposures, enough to kick the immune system into gear and make more antibodies and t-cells but not enough to overwhelm the immune system and cause infection.  Just a theory.  

I've heard stories of families getting it, but the wife testing positive and the husband negative, then the family gets it again, and it's vice versa. 

What I found strange is that I was doing the exact same thing as my wife and son, even though one of our daughters tested positive for it on 7/4. While she quarantined, the three of us did everything together, went to a Sox game, took a day trip in the car together, and they tested positive for it 4 days before I did, even a PCR said no. I felt like absolute crap and I was "negative", and perhaps I was fighting it and eventually my body just gave up on the fight? 

Since I tested positive a week ago today, I feel like I'm about 80% and much better day over day at this point. We'll see - it's hot and humid and I'll go cut the grass tonight. Should be a true test of how I feel. 

Soooo just got back Sunday from what turned out to be a complete super-spreader event this past weekend.  200+ of my college cohorts causing absolute debauchery at various bars in the area.  So far at least 8 or so folks have posted on FB that they are positive now and feel like absolute trash.  2 of which were in my "main group".  

I've felt a little "off" but more of a stuffy head attributed to allergies (which I get all the time).  But because everyone is coming down with the Rona, I tested twice this morning.  The first test was inconclusive and I think my dumb azz may have screwed it up somehow.  It resulted in a tiny, faint line.  Which the instructions say is still positive, but I didn't believe it so I tested again and it was completely blank/negative.

Took a hot shower, napped for 2 hours and woke up feeling much better.  Had some extra-strength allergy meds too.

I'll test again later this week as I have a birthday bash on Saturday that I'd hate to cancel.  Not sure I want to ingest any more beer after last weekend but it'd be nice to chill with friends for my b-day.

Hope y'all are feeling OK and avoiding this crap.

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Soooo just got back Sunday from what turned out to be a complete super-spreader event this past weekend.  200+ of my college cohorts causing absolute debauchery at various bars in the area.  So far at least 8 or so folks have posted on FB that they are positive now and feel like absolute trash.  2 of which were in my "main group".  

I've felt a little "off" but more of a stuffy head attributed to allergies (which I get all the time).  But because everyone is coming down with the Rona, I tested twice this morning.  The first test was inconclusive and I think my dumb azz may have screwed it up somehow.  It resulted in a tiny, faint line.  Which the instructions say is still positive, but I didn't believe it so I tested again and it was completely blank/negative.

Took a hot shower, napped for 2 hours and woke up feeling much better.  Had some extra-strength allergy meds too.

I'll test again later this week as I have a birthday bash on Saturday that I'd hate to cancel.  Not sure I want to ingest any more beer after last weekend but it'd be nice to chill with friends for my b-day.

Hope y'all are feeling OK and avoiding this crap.

Just a curious question here - Are you married D?

39 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

^ you are just begging to get it and spread it.

I can't endorse.

Completely agreed. Now not saying you shouldn't live life but there are certainly ways to play it a bit more say and that bash ain't it. 

Agree partly with Gil, you're asking to get it. But,  if you've gone a week with no real symptoms and still testing negative then there's no reason you shouldn't go other than putting yourself at more risk to get it.

14 hours ago, irish said:

Just a curious question here - Are you married D?

Completely agreed. Now not saying you shouldn't live life but there are certainly ways to play it a bit more say and that bash ain't it. 

Technically/legally...?  Yes... why?

Symptoms are completely gone and tested negative again this morning.  If those trends continue (will test again tomorrow), then I don't see any issues in going out.  I get seasonal allergies on the regular and my symptoms were right in line with those.

Or are you referring to the event I went to last weekend?  :shrug:   I am fully vaxxed/boosted and had nary a symptom before going.  And 90% of the festivities were outside.  Add in the fact that the organizers strongly recommended everyone that goes be vaxxed/boosted and our area's numbers were mild/moderate... felt it was fine to go.

Edited by darin3

42 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Technically/legally...?  Yes... why?

Symptoms are completely gone and tested negative again this morning.  If those trends continue (will test again tomorrow), then I don't see any issues in going out.  I get seasonal allergies on the regular and my symptoms were right in line with those.

Or are you referring to the event I went to last weekend?  :shrug:   I am fully vaxxed/boosted and had nary a symptom before going.  And 90% of the festivities were outside.  Add in the fact that the organizers strongly recommended everyone that goes be vaxxed/boosted and our area's numbers were mild/moderate... felt it was fine to go.

Gotcha. Was just curious since you said you were hanging with college buddies and I know you travel a bunch I assumed work related. Figured that would be hard for a family man, as I see it with my neighbor. 

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier,  gotta live life and it's hard to draw any line, especially with you being vaxxed and boosted.  You make the best decisions you can (whether masking or skipping events you may not feel are necessary) and if you attend something and catch it, you heal up and then get back to living. Rinse... repeat. 

Glad to hear that you're well and hope you have a great birthday bash coming up!

23 hours ago, gilthorp said:

I've heard stories of families getting it, but the wife testing positive and the husband negative, then the family gets it again, and it's vice versa. 

What I found strange is that I was doing the exact same thing as my wife and son, even though one of our daughters tested positive for it on 7/4. While she quarantined, the three of us did everything together, went to a Sox game, took a day trip in the car together, and they tested positive for it 4 days before I did, even a PCR said no. I felt like absolute crap and I was "negative", and perhaps I was fighting it and eventually my body just gave up on the fight? 

Since I tested positive a week ago today, I feel like I'm about 80% and much better day over day at this point. We'll see - it's hot and humid and I'll go cut the grass tonight. Should be a true test of how I feel. 

Yard work in muggy heat can make a fit person feel wiped out. Hope you got thru it OK, rested after and had plenty of liquids. 

6 hours ago, irish said:

Gotcha. Was just curious since you said you were hanging with college buddies and I know you travel a bunch I assumed work related. Figured that would be hard for a family man, as I see it with my neighbor. 

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier,  gotta live life and it's hard to draw any line, especially with you being vaxxed and boosted.  You make the best decisions you can (whether masking or skipping events you may not feel are necessary) and if you attend something and catch it, you heal up and then get back to living. Rinse... repeat. 

Glad to hear that you're well and hope you have a great birthday bash coming up!

I travel once or twice a month; usually just 2-3 days at a time.  It's tough being away from my kids but we FaceTime every night I'm away and my daughter has an iCloud account on her non-network phone so we send texts throughout the days I'm gone.

As for the big bash, I did my risk/reward analysis based on the current numbers and felt it was alright to go.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big John said:

Biden tests positive for Covid despite being vaxxed:  https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/21/president-biden-tests-positive-for-covid-19.html

This line drives me nutty!  It's such a myth, but so many people believe that if you get vaccinated and boosted that you can't get covid. That's, obviously not how it works.  Getting vaxxed and boosted increases your immunity, lessens the severity of symptoms and makes the need for hospitalization almost nonexistent. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, irish said:

This line drives me nutty!  It's such a myth, but so many people believe that if you get vaccinated and boosted that you can't get covid. That's, obviously not how it works.  Getting vaxxed and boosted increases your immunity, lessens the severity of symptoms and makes the need for hospitalization almost nonexistent. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

I think the issue is that most other vaccines offer a higher immunity, or this COVID is just more widespread, infectious etc.

I understood from the very beginning, based on efficacy rates that were in all news sources that you could still get COVID after being vaxxed. All the wide spread misinformation and politics didn't help either.

Edited by stevegrab

Here is an interesting local story, a woman who has kidney problems, her sister is an ideal donor, but the Cleveland Clinic won't do the procedure without them being vaccinated and both are refusing. They are looking for another hospital that will do it. Their lawyer is also pursuing legal avenues to force the Cleveland Clinic to waive this rule. 

The woman with the bad kidney has Lupus and she says that "getting the vaccine will certainly trigger a bad reaction". Nothing was mentioned regarding that, if it was something a doctor told her, or where her "certainty" comes from. Maybe they can find another hospital, I suspect they've known about this for a while and would have been trying to find one. According to the hospital the procedure and medication taken after organ transplant weaken the immune system, making COVID an even bigger concern. 

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/akron-woman-twin-sister-refuse-to-take-covid-19-vaccine-to-receive-life-saving-transplant/95-86e46998-6242-4138-bad1-b2fb774a28ab

This also isn't the first time this has happened, another story from last year

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/it-was-heartbreaking-cleveland-clinic-denies-woman-liver-transplant-over-covid-vaccine/

Nor is that the only hospital that has required the vaccine for transplants. 

8 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Tested negative this AM but still off for sure. I think Rajn talking so much on these forums gave me his constant dry cough. Thanks a lot.

Don't stand so close to me. ;)

Welp, feel free to pelt me with the "I told you so's", but after testing negative on Monday and Tuesday of last week, I finally tested again after a business trip and was positive (Thursday).  What a strange virus this is.  I felt "off" last Sunday upon my return from my reunion, but thought it was just all of the drinking and lack of good sleep.  Felt better Monday and Tuesday I just had some very mild sinus pressure.  As I was exposed to several folks that had already tested positive and I was going up to Sacramento for a couple of days, I tested twice.. both times negative.

Came back Thursday and still felt like I had my "normal seasonal allergies".  Tested again because I was going to see my parents for my b-day on Friday and then go out with some friends Saturday.  Popped positive.  VERY positive.  Like the test line was screaming at me.  :lol:  

Symptoms have been incredibly minor, and it's like a rollercoaster.  For a couple hours I feel completely fine, and then out of nowhere I get some moderated sinus pressure or a weird coughing fit.  I basically slept the entire day Friday and Saturday... which has helped tremendously.  Today I woke up and feel a billion times better... way more energy.  Haven't napped at all.  I washed my bedding and vaccuumed/Swiffered my room... can't hurt.

Been watching TV all day while trying to keep away from my kiddos while the wife is at work all day.  My daughter made my son lunch and my mom's coming over with dinner in a bit.  Fortunate to have some help while I try to keep to myself for these 5-7 days.

If this improvement continues I am pretty confident that I'll test negative on Tuesday, when my HR lady told me I could test to see if I could return to the office.... but who knows.  This ish is wierd AF.

And yeah, if I wasn't vaxxed/boosted I could only imagine how bad it could have gotten.... and this one's supposed to be "mild" to begin with!  Yikers.

I'll get my fall booster and now have some built-in immunity to boot.

Still shocked I never got it in 2020 or 2021.  Maybe I did get it and was just asymptomatic.  Who knows. 

Anyways, hope y'all are feeling fine.  And F Rona.  :( 

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1