[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hurricane Ida

Chief Dick

41 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

@rajncajn - please check in.

Anyone else down there? Please stay safe all of you.

Rajn, mentioned in the fishing thread that he seems to be out of the main threat area, there could always be a shift in the storm.  This one looks awful for those in its path.

Hoping folks heeded the warnings and evacuations, but you know some won't/ can't and unfortunately there will be deaths. 

9 minutes ago, Randall said:

Morgan City Mayor on CNN saying many locals stayed because they didn't want to get Covid. Hope they're OK.

Oof!  That won't be good. 

• Like 1

I'm good where I'm at. The wind has picked up a little since lunch,  but still not as much a we had with Zeta last year. We got out and drove around a bit after lunch mainly to see how much the water has come up from the Gulf and around the in-roads to our neighborhood. It wasn't bad at all so far and the tide is going down as well,  which helps. We ended up driving out of the neighborhood and into town and even stopped by the grocery store to get ice cream.

I fear for the folks in South Louisiana though. I've heard they are getting it really bad right now,  like Katrina bad. We have quite a bit of family down there,  so I'm praying it's not as bad. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Glad to hear that. I have friends in Mississippi who have been getting pounded. I couldn't get a hold of them, it doesn't look good. 

Where at? I can possibly give some local info on the weather there. More than likely they're just without power. 

Edited by rajncajn

21 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

The Northern part of Jackson

Not gonna lie,  Jackson is going to get it pretty good as they're projected right in the path and on the northeast quadrant which is the strongest part of the storm. That said,  it should weaken significantly before it really gets to them. They may get category 1 or 2 winds and some very heavy rain, but their biggest threats are flooding if they are in a low lying area and the possibility of tornados. I'll post if we hear anything in the news from that area.

Just heard from my dad and our family in Louisiana are all doing fine.  They're far enough west that it's not affecting them as much. My father in law's hometown of Jean Lafitte isn't faring so well though.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Not gonna lie,  Jackson is going to get it pretty good as they're projected right in the path and on the northeast quadrant which is the strongest part of the storm. That said,  it should weaken significantly before it really gets to them. They may get category 1 or 2 winds and some very heavy rain, but their biggest threats are flooding if they are in a low lying area and the possibility of tornados. I'll post if we hear anything in the news from that area.

Thank you. Some of these videos are heart breaking. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, darin3 said:

My FIL's house lost its roof, ended up in his neighboring sister's yard.  MIL stayed with wife's cousin and no cousin lost carport/shed.

Damn 😔

Just got a call from my aunt. My cousin was living in Algiers with his family and she hadn't heard from him since last night. It's very likely because of loss of power and cell service, but still worrisome. 

My father in law's mothers house is in Jean Lafitte. His mom passed away just last month and they were set to sign the sale papers for it tomorrow. The reports we've heard from that area are not good at all and a barge damaged the only bridge in or out of the community.

7 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Damn 😔

Just got a call from my aunt. My cousin was living in Algiers with his family and she hadn't heard from him since last night. It's very likely because of loss of power and cell service, but still worrisome. 

My father in law's mothers house is in Jean Lafitte. His mom passed away just last month and they were set to sign the sale papers for it tomorrow. The reports we've heard from that area are not good at all and a barge damaged the only bridge in or out of the community.

Jeez. The pictures coming out of around there look bad.  Hope everyone is ok.

3 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

Jeez. The pictures coming out of around there look bad.  Hope everyone is ok.

Yeah, I honestly doubt anything is left. It's strange because I was there with him just a couple of weeks ago helping him clean out the house for the sale. A good number of the houses were raised after hurricane Rita devastated that area in 2005 not long after Katrina. His parents rebuilt their house on stilts as well which is promising, but when you have that much water pushing through coupled with the high winds, even a house built up can come down. I saw that first hand in Katrina when the houses south of me all toppled and ended up in my front yard.

As soon as the weather clears out and we know that we can pass, I'm driving over with him to assess the damage. It's likely going to be several days at least before that's possible though.

Here the winds have finally died down to just a heavy breeze and the feeder bands fewer and further between. Last night & into the morning was crazy. We had stronger winds with Zeta last year, but they were much more constant and lasted much longer with a lot more rain this time. Tornado Warnings every hour or so guaranteed we got no sleep and the last one came through about an hour ago. We had a little flooding in the neighborhood, but nothing that isn't typical or expected as we're basically on an island surrounded by bayou and the Gulf. Again, the flooding wasn't as bad as with Zeta, but the water lingered longer but I doubt that it was enough to flood any homes nearby. I've checked in with all of my family & coworkers and with exception to not hearing from my cousin in Algiers everyone is fine that I know of.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, rajncajn said:

Got word that my cousin is fine,  so all family is accounted for and fared well.

That is awesome news, great to hear!

I’ve been watching the news  and can’t believe some of the scenes. I know what it’s like to lose electricity and it sucks. 
  Some of our JEA trucks made the trek out there to help out. That’s what I love about our country. We all come together when someone is in need. Just wish it wouldn’t take a disaster for that to happen.

T&P going out to everyone affected by Ida. She was a real biatch!

We didn't get anything close to the full brunt of Ida, just the remnants here on the east coast. However, we experienced half a foot of rain or more in some cases and townships all around me are flooding to the point that my school district closed today.