[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints cut Latavius Murray

League_Champion

3 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

I knew the Saints liked Jones, but I didn't think they'd dump Murray.

Honestly I didn't think they would either, but I can see why when they knew that Murray wouldn't be the top guy behind Kamara. By cutting him now they give him a better shot with another team rather than holding him on the sideline. I knew that Jones had impressed enough to take the role, but I'm still surprised to see it actually happen.

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

The timing is strange 

There's speculation that they are trying to clear cap space for someone, but I think it just boils down to him refusing a pay cut, the Saints seeing a decline over preseason and practice and them not wanting to pay his salary when he was going to be a 3rd string RB. I think they end up saving over $3 million this year & $3.5 million next year.

Per espn,

Jones (5-11, 225) appeared in just one game for the Saints last season as an undrafted rookie from Notre Dame, with three carries for 13 yards. But he led the team with 106 rushing yards and a TD in two preseason games, plus another six catches for 42 yards.

Small sample size. :thinking:

4 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Real question is... Do they really love Jones or were they caught off guard when they thought, and failed, that they could leverage Murray?

Good point. I'm wondering the same thing.

• Thanks 1

Shannon Sharpe says its "dirty"

https://twitter.com/ShannonSharpe/status/1435390367247966208

Sounds to me like he was going to cost more than he was worth considering Jones is now the backup. 

I guess that isn't interesting enough to generate clicks though. And why would the ask him to take a pay cut in March, before they signed this undrafted RB and saw what he could do. 

And he's good enough he'll find a job. Sharpe and more of his crocodile tears for the poor players in the NFL who get treated poorly. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, irish said:

Its a brutal business in many ways. Thing is, we haven't heard a complaint from Murray about this, just people in the media saying how horrible it was. Maybe he's more interested in playing, and would rather take his chances signing with another team and getting some action. Sounds like he'd be sitting on the bench if he were even active (RB3 on most NFL rosters are expected to play special teams). 

Here's an article that does have a quote from him, talking about possibly going to Baltimore. It also talks about the RB3 on BAL needing to play a lot of special teams, which he hasn't done (one snap in kicking game in 6 seasons), so maybe he doesn't fit there. I also forgot he is 31 already, will be 32 in mid January, and has averaged close to 200 touches/season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/latavius-murray-already-eyeing-potential-140613375.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Its a brutal business in many ways. Thing is, we haven't heard a complaint from Murray about this, just people in the media saying how horrible it was. Maybe he's more interested in playing, and would rather take his chances signing with another team and getting some action. Sounds like he'd be sitting on the bench if he were even active (RB3 on most NFL rosters are expected to play special teams). 

Here's an article that does have a quote from him, talking about possibly going to Baltimore. It also talks about the RB3 on BAL needing to play a lot of special teams, which he hasn't done (one snap in kicking game in 6 seasons), so maybe he doesn't fit there. I also forgot he is 31 already, will be 32 in mid January, and has averaged close to 200 touches/season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/latavius-murray-already-eyeing-potential-140613375.html

I think this assessment is accurate. The NFL is a for profit business, plain and simple. It seems both sides are looking out for their own self-interest, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a good reminder of the importance of contracts (i.e. guaranteed money, team and player options, and trade clauses).

28 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Like Baltimore right now!

Nah ... LevBell will save the day in BAL :unsure:

I can actually see Murray in SEA, NYG or even CAR

Considering recent ...very recent... events i would like to add BAL to my list lol

Edited by doobwaa