[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's Cooking?

rajncajn

7 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You said "white" again. They'll string you up and hang you at noon. 

No silly, that's if he said black beans. 

8 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I'm fixin on making some Gumbo this weekend. Any tips or suggestions? 

Copied from what I told a friend of mine:

If you're making a seafood gumbo then I'd go with a seafood stock. Even better if you make your own & it's really pretty easy. My preference for "authentic" though is chicken & sausage gumbo, connecuh sausage if you can find it, andouille if not & it does use chicken stock.

Another good tip for gumbo is to pre-cook your sausage and blot the excess fat off of it. It keeps the gumbo from being too fatty & heavy.

As Trinity goes, a lot of people use different things, but it's typically onion, celery & bell pepper. If you want to cut some prep time, PictSweet makes a frozen seasoning blend that has it already made up with parsley. You should be able to find it in any store in the frozen veggies aisle.

For making seafood stock, fill a large pot with about a gallon of water & bring it to a low boil. If you have oysters in your gumbo then be sure to save the liquor and add that in too before the boil. Once it's boiling toss in your shrimp peels, crab shells, legs & fat (the yellowish creamy stuff. Also throw in your celery tops cut up, a chopped yellow onion, the stems from your parsley and a couple of bay leaves. Bring the heat down & simmer it for about 30 minutes then strain it so you're left with just the stock. If you don't feel like doing all that or you're using prepackaged seafood then you can always just buy seafood stock at the grocery.

Are you making your own roux or buying already made? If you're buying, Savoie's is pretty good. If you're really worried about burning it you can always cheat a bit by toasting it. Just do a search on how,  it's pretty easy. 

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Are you making your own roux or buying already made? If you're buying, Savoie's is pretty good. If you're really worried about burning it you can always cheat a bit by toasting it. Just do a search on how,  it's pretty easy. 

Thank you. I want to take my time and do it right so I'll attempt to do everything from scratch. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Thank you. I want to take my time and do it right so I'll attempt to do everything from scratch. 

Quite a coincidence, this popped up on my FB timeline from 9 years ago. This is my wife's chicken, sausage & okra. I may have to convince her to make a batch.

6143edbd71dc5_335209_4560895309089_1169027946_o(640x480).jpg.ccdcb7b538b23712e2c1e8a52bdeb5a0.jpg

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Put that on a cracker! Jambalaya night. 

For a second there I thought you went ahead and mixed your rice in with your gumbo.

As jambalaya,  that looks tasty!

We went to visit my daughter at school this evening,  so we went out for Thai at one of our favorite restaurants. I always get their awesome mango curry, but I switched it up and went with basil pad thai. It was great,  but it wasn't the mango curry.

Edited by rajncajn

7 hours ago, rajncajn said:

For a second there I thought you went ahead and mixed your rice in with your gumbo.

As jambalaya,  that looks tasty!

It was ok. It wasn't really planned, I just had some stuff laying around and threw it together. Wasn't bad though. Really just shrimp that I caught earlier in the day and Andouille Sausage. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's see... over the past couple of weeks:

Mini Oktoberfest... Jager schnitzel, red cabbage, spätzle, German potato salad

pesto chicken with roasted red potatoes

sirloin with balsamic glaze, truffle mashed potatoes

homemade pizza with local sausage and wild mushrooms

used same tomato sauce for a bucatini with rock shrimp

harvest salad with roasted sweet potato (pomegranate vinegar), toasted chevre, sunflower seeds... sherry/honey vinaigrette  (with aged Spanish sherry vinegar)

Chicken satay, shrimp pad thai

• Like 1