[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OBJ Ruled Out Sunday

League_Champion

That is definitely strange. I haven't heard much yet this week about him. If he had to test it last week, and didn't look good enough how is he suddenly OUT on Wed? Was he already missing practice and just focusing on rehab. 

I think they are being extra cautious, and want to make sure they have all their weapons later in the season. Also from reading this article and full statement from Stefanski, sounds like part of it is he wants to have practice game plan without him, just cross him off your list for this week. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09/browns-receiver-odell-beckham-jr-will-not-play-vs-texans-in-week-2.html

Does make me a bit concerned since he is my WR3 and was expected to be a regular part of my weekly lineup, I'll have to stick with Marvin Jones Jr. for now.

48 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Even if a trade is coming why rule him out at all? And if he's not being traded why not just say he'll be a game time decision? They just did the opponent a huge favor. Now they can gameplan accordingly. 

I got the impression from what Stefanski said that is what he wants the Browns to do, same for practice. They've got a talented rookie in Anthony Schwartz, he was on the field for over 50% of the plays without OBJ (Landry 86%, Peoples-Jones [DPJ] 80%) and Higgins was odd man out with just 4 snaps (7%) on offense. They want Schwartz and DPJ to have more opportunity in practice and the game, without OBJ in the plan and sitting to rehab all week they can do that. Maybe they would like Higgins in the game more too, but without reps in practice he wasn't ready.

Those snap counts for WR may not look very high, because their TEs also play a lot (Hooper-64%, Njoku-59, Bryant-32).

I trust Stefanski, he's not dumb or a cocky guy trying to be clever. Maybe there is a trade looming and front office told them to do this. 

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I got the impression from what Stefanski said that is what he wants the Browns to do, same for practice. They've got a talented rookie in Anthony Schwartz, he was on the field for over 50% of the plays without OBJ (Landry 86%, Peoples-Jones [DPJ] 80%) and Higgins was odd man out with just 4 snaps (7%) on offense. They want Schwartz and DPJ to have more opportunity in practice and the game, without OBJ in the plan and sitting to rehab all week they can do that. Maybe they would like Higgins in the game more too, but without reps in practice he wasn't ready.

Those snap counts for WR may not look very high, because their TEs also play a lot (Hooper-64%, Njoku-59, Bryant-32).

I trust Stefanski, he's not dumb or a cocky guy trying to be clever. Maybe there is a trade looming and front office told them to do this. 

You could be right, it's all just very odd. 

Not sure what to make of it all, if the team and doctors think he is ready, then he is the one who really decided that he could not play Sunday after warm-ups maybe this is the team sending a message. Maybe that message is, take another week and get ready, no pressure. I sure hope it isn't turning into some stupid power struggle or other nonsense. 

One detail I remember reading (and confirmed now) is that after working out in warmups OBJ told the coach he "could not go a significant amount" which to me means he was not going to be able to be in for many plays and/or go 100%. So sitting made sense, they had 4 other healthy WR ready to go.

It also sounds like on Sunday they were already expecting a similar situation for week 2. Maybe the staff just decided to go without OBJ, take the pressure off him, get younger guys more work etc.  Its possible there's some other drama or weird stuff going on, but I don't think so. With OBJ involved many in the media and fan base will be looking for the wild story.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Even if a trade is coming why rule him out at all? And if he's not being traded why not just say he'll be a game time decision? They just did the opponent a huge favor. Now they can gameplan accordingly. 

Maybe they were just trying to help out us FF players.  :thinking:

33 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

That tells you all you need to know about OBJ.

This tells me absolutely nothing about anything. People keep using this phrase like it means something, is it just some joke or something?  Or just the latest "cool" thing to say like "living the dream" when people ask how you are doing. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

This tells me absolutely nothing about anything. People keep using this phrase like it means something, is it just some joke or something?  Or just the latest "cool" thing to say like "living the dream" when people ask how you are doing. 

Bobby Pelosi spun himself out. Somebody is in his head, besides me. 

downloadfile-4.jpg

28 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

This tells you all you need to know about Stevegrab

Edit to add:

:dabbing:

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

That tells you all you need to know about OBJ's playing status for week 2.

There you go, BB just got busy and left out the rest. Fixed

Oh how the mighty have fallen.  Dude still has probably the most amazing 2 finger catch in the nfl when he was with the Giants. Seems as though he has mellowed some but the injury to.his knee is concerning. Get the feeling he won't be back as a dominant receiver. He does still command media attention but he may just fade and never be a big production guy again. Move over OBJ cause Anthony Schwartz is hot on your heels to take your job. May the SCHWARTZ  BE WITH YOU!

• Haha 1

A local reporter's view (not sure but I think she is still the Browns beat writer for the Plain Dealer)

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09/why-holding-odell-beckham-jr-out-vs-the-texans-and-announcing-it-now-is-the-right-thing-mary-kay-cabot.html

It included an interesting bit from an interview with OBJ at his football camp (only time he has talked to the media since his injury, that includes of this off season, training camp etc).  Sounds like he will play when he feels completely ready, and won't rush back. Like many I think they see that isn't wise and leads to more potential for injury later.

“I think what I used to get caught up in -- which led me down a path I won’t go to again -- is you get hurt and we’re all men and we want to show everyone we’re a man and we want to come back,’’ he said. “It (becomes) all this ego challenge. I’m not really in it for all that anymore because I don’t feel like I really have anything to prove except to myself and me wanting to be the best.’’