League_Champion

OBJ Ruled Out Sunday

#Browns coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters that WR Odell Beckham Jr won’t play on Sunday vs the #Texans. He tried to go last week and didn’t feel comfortable enough. Now, the coach takes it out of his hands a few days prior

That is odd. Maybe they are thinking the offense is fine without him so they are being extra cautious?

12 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

That is odd. Maybe they are thinking the offense is fine without him so they are being extra cautious?

It is odd. Even from a tactical standpoint, why announce it now? 

That is definitely strange. I haven't heard much yet this week about him. If he had to test it last week, and didn't look good enough how is he suddenly OUT on Wed? Was he already missing practice and just focusing on rehab. 

I think they are being extra cautious, and want to make sure they have all their weapons later in the season. Also from reading this article and full statement from Stefanski, sounds like part of it is he wants to have practice game plan without him, just cross him off your list for this week. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09/browns-receiver-odell-beckham-jr-will-not-play-vs-texans-in-week-2.html

Does make me a bit concerned since he is my WR3 and was expected to be a regular part of my weekly lineup, I'll have to stick with Marvin Jones Jr. for now.

Trade on the horizon? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shaft said:

Trade on the horizon? 

Anything is possible, they have lots of young talented WR. I know during the off season the team said they would listen to trade offers but were not shopping him. 

I’ll be watching closely. I don’t need him, drafted him for cheap hoping maybe he’d be lottery ticket later this season

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

Trade on the horizon? 

i like this thinking. i predict NOS. i bet nos is happy with winston and is thinking they should be looking towards the playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

i like this thinking. i predict NOS. i bet nos is happy with winston and is thinking they should be looking towards the playoffs. 

Do teams have the cap space it takes to sign him?  Looks to be about a $15M cap hit. 

59 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Do teams have the cap space it takes to sign him?  Looks to be about a $15M cap hit. 

I think the Saints are already over the cap for next season. 

• Haha 1

Even if a trade is coming why rule him out at all? And if he's not being traded why not just say he'll be a game time decision? They just did the opponent a huge favor. Now they can gameplan accordingly. 

48 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Even if a trade is coming why rule him out at all? And if he's not being traded why not just say he'll be a game time decision? They just did the opponent a huge favor. Now they can gameplan accordingly. 

I got the impression from what Stefanski said that is what he wants the Browns to do, same for practice. They've got a talented rookie in Anthony Schwartz, he was on the field for over 50% of the plays without OBJ (Landry 86%, Peoples-Jones [DPJ] 80%) and Higgins was odd man out with just 4 snaps (7%) on offense. They want Schwartz and DPJ to have more opportunity in practice and the game, without OBJ in the plan and sitting to rehab all week they can do that. Maybe they would like Higgins in the game more too, but without reps in practice he wasn't ready.

Those snap counts for WR may not look very high, because their TEs also play a lot (Hooper-64%, Njoku-59, Bryant-32).

I trust Stefanski, he's not dumb or a cocky guy trying to be clever. Maybe there is a trade looming and front office told them to do this. 

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I got the impression from what Stefanski said that is what he wants the Browns to do, same for practice. They've got a talented rookie in Anthony Schwartz, he was on the field for over 50% of the plays without OBJ (Landry 86%, Peoples-Jones [DPJ] 80%) and Higgins was odd man out with just 4 snaps (7%) on offense. They want Schwartz and DPJ to have more opportunity in practice and the game, without OBJ in the plan and sitting to rehab all week they can do that. Maybe they would like Higgins in the game more too, but without reps in practice he wasn't ready.

Those snap counts for WR may not look very high, because their TEs also play a lot (Hooper-64%, Njoku-59, Bryant-32).

I trust Stefanski, he's not dumb or a cocky guy trying to be clever. Maybe there is a trade looming and front office told them to do this. 

You could be right, it's all just very odd. 

Sounds like Odell doesn't trust his knee yet, but doctors are saying he should, so hc is frustrated and making a point by taking the decision out of Odell 's hands this week.

Hc is suggesting Odell step up or he will be sat down.

I don't follow Odell, is he the 100% type? Will he take the field hurt? It's why Julius Thomas couldn't stay in Denver.

Not sure what to make of it all, if the team and doctors think he is ready, then he is the one who really decided that he could not play Sunday after warm-ups maybe this is the team sending a message. Maybe that message is, take another week and get ready, no pressure. I sure hope it isn't turning into some stupid power struggle or other nonsense. 

One detail I remember reading (and confirmed now) is that after working out in warmups OBJ told the coach he "could not go a significant amount" which to me means he was not going to be able to be in for many plays and/or go 100%. So sitting made sense, they had 4 other healthy WR ready to go.

It also sounds like on Sunday they were already expecting a similar situation for week 2. Maybe the staff just decided to go without OBJ, take the pressure off him, get younger guys more work etc.  Its possible there's some other drama or weird stuff going on, but I don't think so. With OBJ involved many in the media and fan base will be looking for the wild story.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Maybe they were just trying to help out us FF players.  :thinking:

33 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

That tells you all you need to know about OBJ.

This tells me absolutely nothing about anything. People keep using this phrase like it means something, is it just some joke or something?  Or just the latest "cool" thing to say like "living the dream" when people ask how you are doing. 

2 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

This tells me absolutely nothing about anything. People keep using this phrase like it means something, is it just some joke or something?  Or just the latest "cool" thing to say like "living the dream" when people ask how you are doing. 

Bobby Pelosi spun himself out. Somebody is in his head, besides me. 

downloadfile-4.jpg

28 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

This tells you all you need to know about Stevegrab

Edit to add:

:dabbing:

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

That tells you all you need to know about OBJ's playing status for week 2.

There you go, BB just got busy and left out the rest. Fixed