LordOpie

Waiver wire . Week two

If you need a WR, consider Tim Patrick, Denver

Is this primarily because of the absence of Jeudy? What about 2nd year WR KJ Hamler does he have any value?

12 hours ago, LordOpie said:

If you need a WR, consider Tim Patrick, Denver

Agreed. I got outbid for him, but this is a good call.

Edited by Shaft
  • Thanks 1

Everyone is on Patrick and he did great last year when called on. I like Hamler better. There was a 50 yard TD drop last week invisible to most. If he hauled that in, he would be the name people are talking about.

• Like 1

Hamler = Ptrick right now.   I took patrick on the advice of some online talking heads, but its a pretty even coin flip IMO.   Both are bargains with upside due to Jeudy.  

27 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Everyone is on Patrick and he did great last year when called on. I like Hamler better. There was a 50 yard TD drop last week invisible to most. If he hauled that in, he would be the name people are talking about.

Even with that catch, I'd recommend Patrick, at least for ppr

23 minutes ago, FinishTheDrill said:

Both are bargains with upside due to Jeudy.  

And i think Sutton take a while to get top full speed

I simply cannot believe how many people in the RTS High stakes leagues blew more than 75% of their FAAAB for the season on E Mitchell.  1. Sermon will be activated and will get touches.  2. Hasty will be used more. 3. When Wilson gets back to health, he will get his shares as well and it will be the majority if he's anything like he was before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I simply cannot believe how many people in the RTS High stakes leagues blew more than 75% of their FAAAB for the season on E Mitchell.  1. Sermon will be activated and will get touches.  2. Hasty will be used more. 3. When Wilson gets back to health, he will get his shares as well and it will be the majority if he's anything like he was before.

Yeah, I am no sage but this is how I read it as well and it was not all that unclear.  I shook my head and asked around (here, perhaps?) a little, but I definitely passed on even burning a top waiver priority on him, seeing more value in stashing a hurt Wilson for free, and snagging tony jones (or pollard had he been gone).  

Agree with you.  But hey, choice is good.

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I simply cannot believe how many people in the RTS High stakes leagues blew more than 75% of their FAAAB for the season on E Mitchell. 

Yeah, you'd have to be insane to blow 75%. He's a nice play this week but the future in so unclear in that offense. 

23 minutes ago, FinishTheDrill said:

Yeah, I am no sage but this is how I read it as well and it was not all that unclear.  I shook my head and asked around (here, perhaps?) a little, but I definitely passed on even burning a top waiver priority on him, seeing more value in stashing a hurt Wilson for free, and snagging tony jones (or pollard had he been gone).  

Agree with you.  But hey, choice is good.

Ive stashed Wilson where I have room. I bid on Mitchell but about 10% of budget for teams without strong RB, with a much  smaller bid on Hasty.  Got crushed on both every time.  Blessing in disguise.

Edited by Dcat

Insanity isn't the word.  My bid groups from 4 diff high stakes leagues at RTS ($1,000 FAAB).  I especially like the guy who spent a third of his budget on Mark Ingram  (or am I just a cheap f_ _k?):  

Bid Group

$110 Elijah Mitchell RB SF   Awarded to Chicago_Wolverine 9.5 for $839
$13 Arizona Cardinals D/ST   Player awarded. Released Mekhi Sargent RB TEN
Dropped: Mekhi Sargent RB TEN

Do not use contingent bids before primary.

Bid Group

$78 Elijah Mitchell RB SF   Awarded to Wedemboyz-10 for $952
$25 Tim Patrick WR DEN   Awarded to 7 for $159
Not Dropped: A.J. Green WR ARI - Did not need to be released.
Not Dropped: Wayne Gallman RB ATL - Did not need to be released.

Bid Group

$120 Elijah Mitchell RB SF   Awarded to Men of Mayhem for $800
$31 Tim Patrick WR DEN   Awarded to Rocky Mountain High for $52
Not Dropped: Mekhi Sargent RB TEN - Did not need to be released.

Bid Group

$85 Elijah Mitchell RB SF   Awarded to TFC 22 for $756
$55 Mark Ingram RB HOU   Awarded to Nathan's New Do for $285
$27 Tim Patrick WR DEN   Awarded to Wedding Squanchers for $115
Not Dropped: Anthony Firkser TE TEN - Did not need to be released.
Edited by Dcat

I had Sermon, not Mostert. I did bid on Mitchell modestly, and was surprised I got him. With Barkley and Jacobs, my RB room is a mess.

Either way, I am now bought into this mess and still expect Sermon to be the guy with Wilson being the vulture he has proven to be at some point.

Watching the snap % this weekend closely but have to roll with Mitchell against the Iggles.

I put in my waiver for the Cardinals D and picked them up.  Then I looked on Yahoo after the waivers went through and saw Patrick sitting there so I scooped him up.   I don't really know anything about him but it didn't cost me anything to put him on my bench.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Insanity isn't the word.  My bid groups from 4 diff high stakes leagues at RTS ($1,000 FAAB).  I especially like the guy who spent a third of his budget on Mark Ingram  (or am I just a cheap f_ _k?):  

Bid Group

Bid Group

Bid Group

Bid Group

That is crazy.  Damn.  

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Word. 41% of main event teams on FFPC spent more than $900 out of a 1000 season long FA pot on Mitchell.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Bid Group

Bid Group

Bid Group

Bid Group

I've seen him go for 40%-90% of owners' FAAB, with the highest being $926.

There's a reason why Sermon didn't even play last week.  He wasn't ready.  The chances that that changes in a week are slim.  In other words, he's unlikely to go from "healthy scratch" to dominating the touches in a week.  Heck, it might not even happen this year at all.  I think he'll play at some point, certainly.  How much, nobody knows.  So, until he proves me wrong, I'd be starting Mitchell over Sermon every week.  

That said, Shanahan is turning into the new Bill Belichick.  You never know what's going to happen in that backfield, and it's better to stay away than to try to guess.  Based on what's happened in the past, it wouldn't shock me if Wilson runs for 200 this week, with Mitchell and Hasty sharing the rest.  

42 minutes ago, Gopher said:

There's a reason why Sermon didn't even play last week.  He wasn't ready.  The chances that that changes in a week are slim.  In other words, he's unlikely to go from "healthy scratch" to dominating the touches in a week.  Heck, it might not even happen this year at all.  I think he'll play at some point, certainly.  How much, nobody knows.  So, until he proves me wrong, I'd be starting Mitchell over Sermon every week.  

That said, Shanahan is turning into the new Bill Belichick.  You never know what's going to happen in that backfield, and it's better to stay away than to try to guess.  Based on what's happened in the past, it wouldn't shock me if Wilson runs for 200 this week, with Mitchell and Hasty sharing the rest.  

Curious if you can provide a source for that. Did somebody on the 49ers say that? Media speculation?

Everything I have seen says it is because he doesn't have a role on special teams, and we've seen that contribute to players being inactive before. Linked story below does have Shanny talking about Mitchell "Elijah came in and looked a little bit ahead of him in the limited plays that he got"

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/why-brandon-aiyuk-trey-sermon-playing-time-decisions-were-clear

Mitchell ran pretty damn well in college last year at Louisiana, and stranger things have happened.  

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Curious if you can provide a source for that. Did somebody on the 49ers say that? Media speculation?

Everything I have seen says it is because he doesn't have a role on special teams, and we've seen that contribute to players being inactive before. Linked story below does have Shanny talking about Mitchell "Elijah came in and looked a little bit ahead of him in the limited plays that he got"

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/why-brandon-aiyuk-trey-sermon-playing-time-decisions-were-clear

A source?  No.  It's pretty simple.  If he was ready to be the lead back (like most speculate he will eventually be), whether or not he can play special teams would be irrelevant.  The fact that special teams was a factor tells me that he's probably no higher than #3 on the RB totem pole.  

All I'm saying is that it's unlikely that he goes from "healthy scratch" to top RB in SF in one week.  So, yeah, if I'm picking between the two, in terms of who to put in my lineup, I'm choosing Mitchell over Sermon, and it's not even close.  If Sermon plays this week, maybe that changes.  But, until he does, there's no way I start him, or even consider it.  Starting a RB who has never played an NFL down usually doesn't end well.  

1 minute ago, Gopher said:

A source?  No.  It's pretty simple.  If he was ready to be the lead back (like most speculate he will eventually be), whether or not he can play special teams would be irrelevant.  The fact that special teams was a factor tells me that he's probably no higher than #3 on the RB totem pole.  

All I'm saying is that it's unlikely that he goes from "healthy scratch" to top RB in SF in one week.  So, yeah, if I'm picking between the two, in terms of who to put in my lineup, I'm choosing Mitchell over Sermon, and it's not even close.  If Sermon plays this week, maybe that changes.  But, until he does, there's no way I start him, or even consider it.  Starting a RB who has never played an NFL down usually doesn't end well.  

The lead back was Mostert at the time Sermon was made inactive, Mostert is gone and now and lead back job is up for grabs. Some think its Mitchells job to lose, others think it will be a competition and Sermon has a shot to get the job. Nobody really knows. But some (apparently including you since you said "if Sermon  plays this week) think that Sermon will be inactive, I'd like to know who these people think the 3rd SF RB will be. 

I am not suggesting starting Sermon this week and have not seen anybody here mention that. Not sure how that became a topic or thing to debate. I (and some others) are simply saying that Mitchell isn't going to just be handed the job while Sermon sits on the bench inactive again. 

5 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The lead back was Mostert at the time Sermon was made inactive, Mostert is gone and now and lead back job is up for grabs. Some think its Mitchells job to lose, others think it will be a competition and Sermon has a shot to get the job. Nobody really knows. But some (apparently including you since you said "if Sermon  plays this week) think that Sermon will be inactive, I'd like to know who these people think the 3rd SF RB will be. 

I am not suggesting starting Sermon this week and have not seen anybody here mention that. Not sure how that became a topic or thing to debate. I (and some others) are simply saying that Mitchell isn't going to just be handed the job while Sermon sits on the bench inactive again. 

I think it's all of the above.  Mitchell's job to lose (for this week), Sermon has a great chance at getting the job long-term, but nobody really knows because it's San Francisco.  Frankly, I'm not even sure there is such a thing as "lead" back in SF.  They tend to throw multiple backs at their opponent every week.  Statistically, there really hasn't been a "lead" back in SF since the end of the 2019-20 season, when Mostert made his epic playoff run.  

Never said I thought Sermon would be inactive in Week 2.  I only said "if he plays" because he has yet to play a down in the NFL, so I'm not assuming he will, either.  I also forgot that Wilson was out, so looking at the numbers... yeah, it's likely Sermon suits up.  

Am I surprised that people are spending 80-90% of their budget on Mitchell?  I suppose, and I certainly wouldn't.  But, at the same time, if you really need a RB, he might be worth the risk.  Best case, he's this year's James Robinson.  Worst case, he's not.  But, you don't win at this hobby by not taking chances.  

• Like 1

just my opinion.   If they thought Sermon was number two I would think he would have dressed out last week, especially considering Mostert being very injury prone. I bid $240 (got him) hoping he will be the starter.  Running backs are very had to find in the open market.     My rbs are also Barkley and Jacobs, and like you said that is a mess.  In the end no one knows for sure, probably not even Shanahan.