[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Top 5 RB Handcuffs for the season, and why

FinishTheDrill

Lots of RB churn, and I have had some big let downs at the position this year so I've been trying to collect quality cuffs.

there's 2 types-  Handcuffs that get you some points now (pollard), and handcuffs that will net you big gains if the RB1 goes down (Mattison).

I tend to look for the "swing for the fences" handcuffs, the guys who are not playing much but who will step into a large role in a run heavy team if the rb1 goes down.  

So, who are your top 5 or so handcuffs, in order, and for extra credit, why?

Mine are:

Hunt (really more or a 1b, he's already proven to be  capable, but if Chubb goes down he'll benefit massively)

Pollard (hunt lite.  arguably a 1b also.  IMO an easy starter in 1/3 of the teams in the league)

Mattison (this week is the prime example.  no big points, then Cook goes down and matti steps into the role and performs wonderfully.  True premier handcuff.

Tony Jones Jr (kamara actually can get hurt a bit, and TJJR has the skills to step in and carry the load (imo) if he does.  

I am up in the air on my next pick, as I think 3 or 5 guys sort of flip flop... Chuba right now, but right now is too late.  TySon was the guy, but he's prven to be of a dreaded committee.  

So, what do you think?   Who are your top handcuffs who would be likely to step into and handle a large role if the #1 got hurt.  

I tend to find handcuffing your own RBs a losing proposition.  Every handcuff essentially expends 2 draft picks into 1 potential starter.  It provides insurance but requires mid to late round draft capital that can go somewhere else.  Taking someone else's 'handcuff' and having them slip into startable role provides more overall benefit.  Theoretically it's a total overall bonus as someone else's handcuff isn't simply replacing someone you most likely spent an early round pick on.  

11 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

I tend to find handcuffing your own RBs a losing proposition.  Every handcuff essentially expends 2 draft picks into 1 potential starter.  It provides insurance but requires mid to late round draft capital that can go somewhere else.  Taking someone else's 'handcuff' and having them slip into startable role provides more overall benefit.  Theoretically it's a total overall bonus as someone else's handcuff isn't simply replacing someone you most likely spent an early round pick on.  

Very well said, I just posted some other stuff in another thread discussing handcuffs. The Hunt/Pollard situations nobody should grab that handcuff, you are unlikely to start both and you're paying too high to get that 1B guy who has value on his own. (Hunt is starting for me with Jacobs out.)  The Cook owner in our league spent a pretty late pick to get Mattison (12 teams, we keep 5, drafted middle of round 7 out of 13 rounds). He doesn't do much unless Cook is out, and although Cook does miss a few games, his value is almost zero outside that.  

Handcuffing is a little more nuanced for me. If your key RB has a key backup, you should pick him up. Mattison is the perfect example of this. If your starter is only so-so, the handcuff isn't very good, or may be in a timeshare, then I wouldn't bother. Go for other guys' good handcuffs. Mattison and Pollard are the two easy handcuffs. Not that expensive and big benefits. Players with 1A and 1B roles like Chubb and Hunt idk, I don't really like spending the draft capital on both if it is too high. 

I think the poster below is correct on AJ Dillon. There are guys like JD McKissic and James White and Nyheim Hines and Kenyan Drake, but they are almost more complementary pass catching backs rather than true handcuffs. As we saw with Kenyan Drake, the starter going down barely changed his usage. I have handcuffed Cook, who I own, but not Najee Harris, for instance. 

here's a good list of backups I found and looks like they keep it up to date. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/fantasy/news/2021-fantasy-rb-handcuffs-chart-sleepers-backups-top-running-backs/866sxixutxdq16bd27jobqrzl

Edited by purplemonster
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Taking someone else's 'handcuff' and having them slip into startable role provides more overall benefit. 

This has been my strategy, and is the reason I ask.  I dont handcuff my own guys, I like for injury-related opportunities before they happen, often targeted against the top opponents.  _ _ _ _ block, so to speak.