[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Players coming off IR worth looking at??

Big Dogs

Has anyone started rostering players that are due to come off of IR around Week 6 if they have the space?  Are there any worth looking at??

Someone in one of my leagues drafted Michael Thomas and then dropped him in week 1, so he's been sitting out there in one league, but also seeing guys like Hilton, Tarik Cohen, and others.  Marlon Mack is available in most, but he's likely to be traded soon and has just been inactive.  

Thomas, definitely.  Jeff Wilson in SF only because it's such a mess.... he may be better than the rest of their RB crew.  At the very least, he's more proven in their system.  Curtis Samuel had a good year last year and was being hyped as a nice complimentary WR in WAS.  He's worth a shot.  I lost interest in Hilton a couple of years ago, honestly.  Cohen does very little for me as well.  Mack... meh.  Maybe if he goes elsewhere, but I'll believe it when I see it.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, League_Champion said:

If Michael Thomas is out there it's a no brainer, pick him up immediately. He should be rostered everywhere. 

Yeah, agreed, and I picked him up before I actually posted this message.  

I own Bateman in a few dynasty leagues, and like his long-term prospects, but I'm not getting the outpouring of love for him in this thread.  Baltimore's passing offense is sporadic, and funnels through Mark Andrews and deep balls to Hollywood Brown.  I'm failing to see how a rookie like Bateman steps in midway through the season and offers anything but 2-3 catches a game.  I think he'll eventually be a nice weapon for Lamar Jackson, but I don't see it this year.  I could be completely wrong, and honestly hope I am because I'd love to be able to use him this year.

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

I own Bateman in a few dynasty leagues, and like his long-term prospects, but I'm not getting the outpouring of love for him in this thread.  Baltimore's passing offense is sporadic, and funnels through Mark Andrews and deep balls to Hollywood Brown.  I'm failing to see how a rookie like Bateman steps in midway through the season and offers anything but 2-3 catches a game.  I think he'll eventually be a nice weapon for Lamar Jackson, but I don't see it this year.  I could be completely wrong, and honestly hope I am because I'd love to be able to use him this year.

I tend to agree with you (I think it's somewhat of a longshot that he becomes immediately fantasy-relevant this year, given the type of offense BAL has), but there is another way of looking at it.  First, the offense runs through Andrews because they don't have anything else.  Put any serviceable WR on the field who has decent hands and can run routes, and that person would take away some of the the looks that Andrews gets.  Because, let's be real here.... BAL hasn't had a better-than-mediocre WR in YEARS.  The fact that Brown is still their "number one" guy is somewhat of a miracle, honestly.  There are teams in the NFL who would have cut him long ago, given how many balls he's dropped.  But, he's the #1 guy by default (they have nobody else worth mentioning, really).  

So, bring in a guy like Bateman, and it doesn't take much for people to start speculating that he's going to make an impact.  He's big, fast, has good hands, etc.  A combined set of skills that I'm not sure BAL has ever had.  Certainly not while Jackson has been the QB.  Brown, their best WR, is small, fast, and can't catch a cold if you sneezed in your hand and wiped it all over his face.  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Gopher said:

I tend to agree with you (I think it's somewhat of a longshot that he becomes immediately fantasy-relevant this year, given the type of offense BAL has), but there is another way of looking at it.  First, the offense runs through Andrews because they don't have anything else.  Put any serviceable WR on the field who has decent hands and can run routes, and that person would take away some of the the looks that Andrews gets.  Because, let's be real here.... BAL hasn't had a better-than-mediocre WR in YEARS.  The fact that Brown is still their "number one" guy is somewhat of a miracle, honestly.  There are teams in the NFL who would have cut him long ago, given how many balls he's dropped.  But, he's the #1 guy by default (they have nobody else worth mentioning, really).  

So, bring in a guy like Bateman, and it doesn't take much for people to start speculating that he's going to make an impact.  He's big, fast, has good hands, etc.  A combined set of skills that I'm not sure BAL has ever had.  Certainly not while Jackson has been the QB.  Brown, their best WR, is small, fast, and can't catch a cold if you sneezed in your hand and wiped it all over his face.  

How many passes has he dropped, can somebody provide numbers they trust? I see 28 catches on 38 targets this year, pretty solid almost 75% catch rate, but last year was a not so great under 60% (caught 58 of 100) and 2019 was also decent at 65% (46/71). 

Is there any sort of measure of drops per target or something that can be used to quantify who is good at catching and who isn't. (Serious discussion point there.)

Is Bateman, as a rookie, projected to be any better than Sammy Watkins?  That's the role Bateman will eventually fill in that offense.  So there's his upside, IMO.  :shrug:  Nothing to get excited about this year, at least from my POV.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I think eventually (like in the next 1-2 years) things even out between he, Andrews and Hollywood.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

How many passes has he dropped, can somebody provide numbers they trust? I see 28 catches on 38 targets this year, pretty solid almost 75% catch rate, but last year was a not so great under 60% (caught 58 of 100) and 2019 was also decent at 65% (46/71). 

Is there any sort of measure of drops per target or something that can be used to quantify who is good at catching and who isn't. (Serious discussion point there.)

Brown looked about as good as I've ever seen him last night.  Caught basically everything thrown his way.  It's not necessarily how many he's dropped, but the fact that he's dropped several that were wide open guaranteed touchdowns.  Like nobody within ten yards of him, and he drops it.  A few last year, and I believe he had 2-3 of those in one game alone this year.  But, yeah, last night he looked good.  

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Is Bateman, as a rookie, projected to be any better than Sammy Watkins?  That's the role Bateman will eventually fill in that offense.  So there's his upside, IMO.  :shrug:  Nothing to get excited about this year, at least from my POV.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I think eventually (like in the next 1-2 years) things even out between he, Andrews and Hollywood.

I think that's why people are high on Bateman.  Watkins is, in large part, a bust at the NFL level.  At the very least, he's been nothing special, considering the hype coming out of college.  BAL doesn't really have a "possession" WR.  Brown is the deep threat.  Andrews is the short-yardage dump-off guy.  Which, in past years, has been a combination of the TE's and RB's.  This year, RB is weak, and Andrews is picking up the slack.  But, sooner or later, teams will figure that out.  Everybody on the planet could see Andrews was going to get those two TD passes (and the two point conversions after), yet IND couldn't stop him.  That won't last forever.  Somebody else will have to step up in the passing game.  Maybe it's Watkins.  But, again, he's been nothing special.  Which, I think, is why people are high on Bateman (besides the obvious fact that he was drafted high, had a good training camp, etc.).  

4 hours ago, Gopher said:

I think that's why people are high on Bateman.  Watkins is, in large part, a bust at the NFL level.  At the very least, he's been nothing special, considering the hype coming out of college.  BAL doesn't really have a "possession" WR.  Brown is the deep threat.  Andrews is the short-yardage dump-off guy.  Which, in past years, has been a combination of the TE's and RB's.  This year, RB is weak, and Andrews is picking up the slack.  But, sooner or later, teams will figure that out.  Everybody on the planet could see Andrews was going to get those two TD passes (and the two point conversions after), yet IND couldn't stop him.  That won't last forever.  Somebody else will have to step up in the passing game.  Maybe it's Watkins.  But, again, he's been nothing special.  Which, I think, is why people are high on Bateman (besides the obvious fact that he was drafted high, had a good training camp, etc.).  

Agreed. I own him in dynasty and am expecting big things.

10 hours ago, Gopher said:

Agreed on the Bateman stuff. However, I think we've seen this from Andrews before, I do think his production for the most part "lasts forever" (continues all the season.  He's a major weapon for Lamar and they will find a way to get him opportunities. Adding another weapon will only help his cause. 

7 hours ago, irish said:

Agreed on the Bateman stuff. However, I think we've seen this from Andrews before, I do think his production for the most part "lasts forever" (continues all the season.  He's a major weapon for Lamar and they will find a way to get him opportunities. Adding another weapon will only help his cause. 

This past week was a pretty significant anomaly for Andrews.  In other words, he had his career best game, fantasy-wise, by about 10 points. He had more points in Week 5 than he had in Weeks 1-4 combined.  Have we seen it before?  Sort of.  Last year was very similar.  In the first five weeks, he had two 20-pt games, a 15-pt game, and two games where he had less than 4 fantasy points.  Of the 14 games he played last year, he hit double-digits in half, and in the seven where he didn't, five of those games were less than 5 points (half PPR).  I'm not going to say that he's "touchdown-dependent" because I think he gets enough targets in some/most games that he's not, but in the games where he doesn't score, he's going to have a handful each year where he is disappointing. 

All I'm saying is that last week's production is not sustainable.  Better defenses will stop him from scoring 35-40 fantasy points, basically single-handedly carrying the offense.  Luckily for BAL, Brown also had HIS career game by a mile, both fantasy-wise and in terms of how he played.  That's not going to happen every week.  Indy handed them the game on a silver platter, basically reverting to the Colts of Weeks 1-3 for the final quarter and a half.  On top of that, BAL's only two relevant passing threats had the best games of their respective careers, by far.  Any of those three things don't happen, and BAL loses the game.  

My two cents.... BAL will have to figure out a way to be more balanced on offense, or they'll be a quick out in January.  That could be developing a third consistent passing threat, or it could be developing some sort of running game (outside of Lamar, they had basically nothing this week).  They barely beat what is a pretty mediocre (I would argue more bad than mediocre) Colts team, in a game in which two (or maybe three, if you count Jackson in terms of his passing) of their best offensive players had career games. 

*All of the numbers I refer to above are based on 0.5 PPR, just because that happened to be the scoring of the league I pulled up on MFL when looking at Andrews' stats.

• Like 1

All of that said, do I think it's likely that Bateman comes in and becomes relevant immediately?  Three or four years ago, I would have said there is zero chance.  But, we have seen rookie WR's make a splash much earlier/quicker in the past few years, so it's certainly possible.  I'd still say it's unlikely, for a number of reasons.  He's never played a down in the NFL, so we're talking pure speculation here.  Secondly, I'm not even sure he's 100% healthy.  Third, BAL is probably far more likely to concentrate on developing a running game (a consistent one, besides just Jackson) than they are focusing on developing a WR who has been on IR.  That's something that they know they will need come playoff time.  

So, yeah, if I'm putting a number on the chance that Bateman becomes a relevant every-week player (let's say flex option, for example), I think we're talking MAYBE a 15-20% chance that that happens.  And, it's only that high because Watkins is their #2 (and he's been relatively unimpressive his entire career), and they don't have much else at WR.  Duvernay is a gimmick guy... probably a WR3 or WR4 at best, and some dude named Proche caught a couple of passes last week (and I know nothing about him).  

1 hour ago, squirrelmastr21 said:

I’m trying to acquire David Montgomery in all leagues. Anyone concerned about Tarik Cohen cutting into Montgomery’s workload?

I wouldn't worry about that, Tarik Cohen never really ate into the lead RBs load during his carrier. He was always the COP back. 

You might see how Damien Williams does while Monty is out, there's a chance he could eat into Monty's load when he comes back. I think more and more teams are realizing their starting RB is going to get injured and miss time, better to have the backup play more, spare some of those injuries and have the backup more ready to start if necessary. Chubb/Hunt and Elliot/Pollard are just the most well know examples, seeing it now with Cook/Mattison and others as well.