[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ethical to not play DST?

seh0872

11 hours ago, seh0872 said:

Despite Diggs and AJ Brown both only getting single digits and a lackluster performance from Kirk Cousins in my Superflex league, I find myself up 11 points with a guaranteed victory as my opponent has fully played her roster.  I have the Indy DST.  Now, while I don't expect them to get negative 12 points tonight, it seems to me why risk it at all?  I have the victory, so move Indy to my bench, field no one in my DST slot, take 0 points for the position and lock the win.

Anyone see any ethical issue with this?

Is there a rule that disallows open line-up spots?  

Youare there to win.  If leaving a lineup spot is not illegal in your league (i/o/w if there is no rule against doing this), then there is nothing "ethically", morally or otherwise wrong with doing what you can to secure your victory. You are NOT obligated to take that risk absent a no-empty lineup slot rule.

• Like 1

If you have the win in the bag , you preserve it . We play in category based baseball leagues here at the huddle that I have won twice in the last 4 years  . Is it relevant to tell you I won it twice in the last 4 years ? No.   There have been numerous times where a team has won era and benched a viable starter because the team they were playing against had no pitchers left . Why start a guy that cant help you win and can only help you lose. If the win is in the bag , keep it there 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, whomper said:

If you have the win in the bag , you preserve it . We play in category based baseball leagues here at the huddle that I have won twice in the last 4 years  . Is it relevant to tell you I won it twice in the last 4 years ? No.   There have been numerous times where a team has won era and benched a viable starter because the team they were playing against had no pitchers left . Why start a guy that cant help you win and can only help you lose. If the win is in the bag , keep it there 

LOOK AT ME

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, whomper said:

:lol:

16 hours ago, FinishTheDrill said:

You never change the rules mid stream.  If anyone had a problem with it they shoudl have made it clear and implemented those rules prior to the draft.   

Most decent leagues have rules for rule changes, including mid-season rule changes.  Typically, the only way to change a rule mid-season is by vast majority vote.  In other words, an off-season rule change may require a simple majority, or maybe 8 out of 12, 10 out of 16, etc.  An in-season rule change would typically be for some unforeseen loophole that needs to be fixed, and requires a higher vote threshold.  So, in a 12-team league, it might be 10 "yes" votes needed to fix the loophole, etc.  Usually, it's a no-brainer because most everybody agrees that an unforeseen oversight in the rules was made.  

Bottom line.... If somebody tries to exploit a loophole that has never been exploited before, and the entire rest of the league is not OK with it, they're probably going to close that loophole pretty quickly.  If you're the only one who has a certain viewpoint, you're probably not going to win that argument.  Which means you're either 1) on the wrong side of the argument or 2) in a league with a bunch of turds.  If it's for the former, you get with the program.  If it's the latter, you find another league.  

But, yeah, rule changes typically don't/shouldn't happen in-season, except for extreme circumstances.  

• Like 1

our league has been around since you had to round up the Monday paper and add up the scores. We have seen about everything and have made many rules due to situations that arise like this. This happened once and we made the rule that you have a full lineup by game time or you forfeit the week. All positions filled just like they should be. You win by the players you pick and you you lose by them as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can understand not submitting a full line-up, in our league many only carry a single kicker or defense, adding another one to cover the bye costs $2, and one year my co-commish decided he was not going to bother as his team sucked and he saw no value in it and was OK with the zero (instead of a modest 7-10 pt average).

But that is totally different from removing a player from your roster that can only hurt you, because their game is played after your opponent is done and you already have enough points to win. As I said earlier, and others have pointed out, things like total points tie breakers and other things discourage that kind of line-up change. 

7 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

So, did you pull the defense?  Looks like it would have just cost you some modest points.

Nope.  Decided to keep it in.  Took a 1.5 point deficit that would have been -5 if not for the fumble recovery and 2 sacks.  Giving up 500+ yards really hurts in my league. 

So, I'm on to week 6, but the next time I talk to the commish, I'm bringing it up, because if it comes up again I want to be clear about what's OK and what's not in the league.

For the record, I'm on the side of having the right to sit the DST if I think 0 points is the better answer, even though I didn't do it this week.

Edited by seh0872

This has nothing to do with ethics.  It's 100% league-dependent.  Some leagues will tell you that it's an absolute no-no.  Others will probably say that people do it all the time.  If it's a problem, though, they should address it in the rules to make it clear.  

In terms of changing things mid-season, I don't think it's something that should be done unless two things are certain.  One, if the entire league (except for the person trying to use the "loophole") agrees that it should not be an option, then close the loophole.  However, they must also be able to say, with 100% certainty, that it's never happened before.  In other words, if somebody used the loophole last year, then you can't suddenly change the rule now.  But, if it's never been done before, and 11 of 12 owners agree that it shouldn't be an option, then fix it.  That's not a rule change, that's fixing a loophole/oversight that was missed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

This has nothing to do with ethics.  It's 100% league-dependent.  Some leagues will tell you that it's an absolute no-no.  Others will probably say that people do it all the time.  If it's a problem, though, they should address it in the rules to make it clear.  

In terms of changing things mid-season, I don't think it's something that should be done unless two things are certain.  One, if the entire league (except for the person trying to use the "loophole") agrees that it should not be an option, then close the loophole.  However, they must also be able to say, with 100% certainty, that it's never happened before.  In other words, if somebody used the loophole last year, then you can't suddenly change the rule now.  But, if it's never been done before, and 11 of 12 owners agree that it shouldn't be an option, then fix it.  That's not a rule change, that's fixing a loophole/oversight that was missed.  

I don't think it matters if somebody did it before or not. If the majority of owners agree with the change, then make it. Like most leagues we generally don't change things during the season but if a league has a process for it, or has near unanimous agreement I don't see why you cannot close the loophole. 

22 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I don't think it matters if somebody did it before or not. If the majority of owners agree with the change, then make it. Like most leagues we generally don't change things during the season but if a league has a process for it, or has near unanimous agreement I don't see why you cannot close the loophole. 

If it was done years ago, or last year, sure.  But, if another owner was allowed to do the same thing three weeks ago, you let the season play out and fix it in the off-season.  That said, this particular situation isn't a "loophole" that needs fixing, necessarily.  It's more a matter of preference.  Some groups of owners absolutely would not allow such a thing, while other leagues have no issue with it (and it's standard practice).  

• Like 1