[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ethical to not play DST?

seh0872

Despite Diggs and AJ Brown both only getting single digits and a lackluster performance from Kirk Cousins in my Superflex league, I find myself up 11 points with a guaranteed victory as my opponent has fully played her roster.  I have the Indy DST.  Now, while I don't expect them to get negative 12 points tonight, it seems to me why risk it at all?  I have the victory, so move Indy to my bench, field no one in my DST slot, take 0 points for the position and lock the win.

Anyone see any ethical issue with this?

This question gets asked pretty much every season.  I think the consensus is that while it's not as do0shy as roster churning, for example, it is borderline bush league and you'll be messing with karma.  Heck, in some leagues, submitting an incomplete lineup results in an error message and you can't even do it.  There's a reason for that.

• Like 1

Personally I do find this to be a bit shady, unethical whatever you want to call it. As I always point out in these discussions if the MNF game were played on Sunday some time you would not be able to do this, and would be stuck with the scores when they happen. 

Also don't forget the usual things, like a scoring correction for a player on your opponents team that means you needed a few points from that position you benched for MNF. 

For example in my league, I am losing by about 5 points and am done, my opponent has Marquise Brown (confused in another post I said it was Lamar Jackson) and he could get negative points if he has a bunch of fumbles lost, and no/few yards. Could be benched to prevent that potential, but most in our league would never do that. In part because total points can mean a lot, and the high score each week wins about $25. 

6 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

I think you are way overthinking it. Is it even possible to get -11pts from your defense?

Not likely from Indy, but yes.  Miami scored -12 yesterday.  Of course it took giving up 45 points and 400 yards while failing to record a single turnover.

9 minutes ago, seh0872 said:

Not likely from Indy, but yes.  Miami scored -12 yesterday.  Of course it took giving up 45 points and 400 yards while failing to record a single turnover.

Oh wow, I think the worst dst score I’ve ever seen in 20 years of playing fantasy football was -3 or -4. I think you guys need to change your scoring

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finn5033 said:

Oh wow, I think the worst dst score I’ve ever seen in 20 years of playing fantasy football was -3 or -4. I think you guys need to change your scoring

Yep, DSTs are rather valuable in this league and can easily score 20+ points with enough turnovers.  The top scoring DST so far this season is the Bills, averaging 22.8 points per game, though most DSTs average between 7 - 10 points each week.  So kinda like TEs.  But, if they get blown out, well negative points can happen with any score above 28 or yards over 350.  The problem is that the negative points are exponential.  With 45 points and over 450 yards allowed, Miami earned -6 for each category.  With no turnovers, there were no positive points to offset the negative points.

Well in this case I have to disagree with what the others have said. This game is about winning and unless there is a rule against it in your league, with your scoring, I’d pull the defense and take the 0. And if people don’t like it then the scoring needs to be changed next season.

• Like 1

Don't understand leagues that go out of the way to punish with large negative scores.  So much luck factor already exists in most leagues (speaking mainly of the redraft/keeper variety), why add on another very manurety way to lose?  :shrug:

Ya bench your D.  If your D scoring tops out at around 10pts for a great game, just ditch the position all together already. 

I agree with play to win the game but does the unlikelihood of your DST scoring that many negative points outweigh the likelihood of adding to your overall point total?  A factor that could be a tiebreaker come playoffs (in my league anyway)

• Like 1

The only unethical thing I can think of in fantasy sports is hacking into someones account or hacking the system some how, signing up as 2 players in 1 league without informing others, or colluding with other managers.   

The rest, blocking, churning, sitting when up- perfectly fine and part of a strategy.    Its like managing the game.  Managing the clock.  Should you always pass, or always run?  Should you go deep if you dont need to?  If you run a lot, is it ok to pass more later vs a different opponent?  No one would ask this in real life.  Fantasy is real life too.   

I'm a little torn on this one.  Yes, it's about winning but pulling a spot to win is no different than pulling a spot to lose and tank for a better draft position next year.  Your rules are based on having a full roster.  As a commish, I removed negative points for the defense to reduce volatility in what's already a highly variable position.  The way yours is set up decreases skill and increases gambling.  Now, if that's what everybody really wants, for luck to play a bigger role, than F it, pull them.  Personally, I prefer to amass as many points as possible because our league is tight and points break the tie.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FinishTheDrill said:

The rest, blocking, churning, sitting when up- perfectly fine and part of a strategy.  

:nono:

Generally the only place manure like that flies are in free bush leagues.  Even in those, you'll be viewed as a not so swell guy (to put it mildly).      

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Def. said:

:nono:

Generally the only place manure like that flies are in free bush leagues.  Even in those, you'll be viewed as a not so swell guy (to put it mildly).      

Ah bull.  I reject that line of complaints.   

As long as you arent hacking or colluding its play ball.  Its akin to "dont hit so hard when you tackle" or the new overly sensitive roughing passer rules.  

Metro competition rules.

" no rough housing"

"dont climb trees"

" chew your food more"

People complain too much nowadays.  

If your DST can potentially lose you the game, and you've already won if you bench them, I don't see the problem.  If people have a problem with it, there's a simple fix.... Set the league parameters so that you can't bench them (you have to start a DST).  Otherwise, it's all fair within the rules, basically.  

This is much different than churning, which is 100% bush league.  But, again, the league can set up rules to take care of that.  If the rules say it's OK, do what you have to do to win.  Most leagues worth a damn don't allow churning.  The ones that do (free Yahoo, etc.) aren't leagues I would play in to begin with.