[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Was this cheating?

hankjimbo99

Genuinely seeking everyone's opinion on this very strange situation!

We're playing in a .5 PPR, 12 team league on ESPN. Commish is whoever won the league last year with another guy still having overall league access. There are 3 married couples in our league, and 6 solo dudes. Couples are not on the same team or anything like that.

On Tuesday, this situation started out with a trade of Damien Williams (CHI) from team 1 to team 2, team 1 receives Jalen Hurts for Damien. Team 1 and Team 2 are married.

Team 2 needed a RB and is starting Kyler so the trade made sense.

On Thursday at 3pm, it is announced that Damien has Covid. Team 2 is in trouble, Team 1 then trades Darrel Williams (KC) to team 2 for an out running back in Damien Williams at 4:15pm

The starting Kansas City RB for an out Bears RB. I say in the chat that it is a pretty suspicious trade, brother of Team 1 says that's collusion, last year's commish says he's vetoing. I vetoed, brother of team 1 vetoed, and last year's commish vetoed. That's 3 vetoes within 15 minutes of the trade, and we only need 4 votes. Our chat isn't very active, the only five people who responded to the trade were the 3 that vetoed, team 1, and team 2.

8:30pm rolls around and team 1 hits up the chat, asking if the current commish had pushed the trade through. Commish responds he didn't do anything. After 4 hours the trade is processed and done. The window is always 48 hours. The only other person with ESPN league access is team 1.

Fast forward, to today team 2 is going to win their matchup by 4 points, thanks to Darrel going off.

Am I crazy or did team 1 definitely make a a suspiciously bad trade for no reason other than to help their significant other?

Am I crazy to think team 1 definitely pushed the trade through?

General opinions on the situation please!

TLDR; married couple in league made a very suspicious trade and then pushed the trade through after 4 hours before people could veto.

6 hours ago, hankjimbo99 said:

After 4 hours the trade is processed and done. The window is always 48 hours. The only other person with ESPN league access is team 1.

Is it always 48 hours?  Is that a setting or a handshake?   That precludes trades within 2 days of game start, no?   

Regardless, the tradeback for a hurt RB to wifey smells funny to me.

Seems pretty clear to me, somebody approved the trade without waiting the usual amount of time. Simply ask the acting commissioner if they did that, and if so why since the deadline did not hit. If they did not approve it then clearly the other person with commish access did, and did so as a far from impartial party.

We have 2 commissioner in our league, same 2 guys (I'm one) for about 30 years. When one of us makes a trade, we let the other approve it. (Verify if any draft picks were traded and record that, etc.)  We don't allow owners to vote on trades and we generally don't prevent any trades.

Was it cheating, well probably but the big question (to me) is did the real commissioner approve it, or did the other owner who shouldn't be doing that did. Also having spouses in a league is just a bad idea in general, worse than good friends or siblings. 

Thanks for the responses. The window is always 48 hours and it's a setting.

Current commissioner says he never touched the trade, he wasn't in the chat and understandably wasn't paying attention to fantasy for one 4 hour period.

It's pretty obvious the trade was pushed through by team 1.

I won't be rejoining this league. I don't even really want to keep playing after that bull, it really puts a sour taste in my mouth.

10 hours ago, hankjimbo99 said:

Thanks for the responses. The window is always 48 hours and it's a setting.

Current commissioner says he never touched the trade, he wasn't in the chat and understandably wasn't paying attention to fantasy for one 4 hour period.

It's pretty obvious the trade was pushed through by team 1.

I won't be rejoining this league. I don't even really want to keep playing after that bull, it really puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Yes that is absolute cheating, many here would suggest you go to their house and punch them in the face. But not playing in the league next year is a good plan. I'd do anything I can to shaft that owner, including colluding with other owners to build a super team that wins it all. The rest of the league definitely needs to know what this shady owner is doing.