[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deshaun Watson trade talks heating up with Miami

Dcat

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-dolphins-texans-want-to-finalize-deal-before-nfls-2021-deadline-per-report/

and here we go.

I would assume the Dolphins got assurance that he will be allowed to play notwithstanding all the legal allegations and lawsuits?  If not, then what's the point...?  An opportunity to escape from Tua for some potential future value?

Even if they get assurances from the league office that he can play this season, is he worth that asking price (reported to be 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks). 

I figured something was up when I saw an owner in my league grab him a while ago. (They dropped Sony Michel and have Burrow/Tannehill at QB).

I'm always skeptical of these reports that a deal is almost done, since we hear them a lot and the deal still falls thru. I guess if you want to be ahead of the game you have to be ready to act on speculation. 

I grabbed him in my long-time local to back up Murray. Dropped D.Jones for him. Why not...if he plays, what a great bye week filler. If it doesn't happen, back to the wire with him and I will pick up the best available QB in week 12 to fill in. 

Watson, if he clears his legal issues, is exactly what a team like Miami needs. He will make every aspect of that team better. 

8 hours ago, heehawks said:

I grabbed him in my long-time local to back up Murray. Dropped D.Jones for him. Why not...if he plays, what a great bye week filler. If it doesn't happen, back to the wire with him and I will pick up the best available QB in week 12 to fill in. 

I was in almost the same position, and I came here to see if there was any chatter. We have to roster two QB's in our league. I've got Murray and Teddy KGB. I was looking out at Week 12 fillers just in case and saw a couple of possible names (Mac Jones has a nice matchup IIRC).

Anyways, I pulled the trigger after seeing your comment (hated losing Teddy tho). This is definitely a long shot... Fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, gijoerock said:

I snatched him up and offered a trade with Shenault for Waddle or Samuel. I already have Josh Allen and Hurts. Wish me luck because I offered Watson to the guy who lost Russell Wilson 😅

I get the POTENTIAL upside with Watson, but a guy with a QB on IR isn't really helped by another QB who isn't even playing right now. People are acting like he's going to go for 300,3 this Sunday for the Dolphins, just waiting for the official announcement. 

Good for you if you can get anything for Watson without any clear picture of when or if he'll play. Wilson is out this week, and next week, then a week 9 bye and expected to return in week 10. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

I get the POTENTIAL upside with Watson, but a guy with a QB on IR isn't really helped by another QB who isn't even playing right now. People are acting like he's going to go for 300,3 this Sunday for the Dolphins, just waiting for the official announcement. 

Good for you if you can get anything for Watson without any clear picture of when or if he'll play. Wilson is out this week, and next week, then a week 9 bye and expected to return in week 10. 

That's my only goal is to get something. If not I can always drop him from my roster.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Yeah but I guarantee that if you grab him now and he's traded you'll get significant value for him in a trade. It's an investment, a dam good one. NO RISK, HIGH REWARD. 

Edited by League_Champion
  • Like 1

Roster moves cost $2 per player added in my league, but its also a keeper league so somebody signing him makes sense in that regard. I've targeted some good players on IR late in a lost season, giving more potential keeper candidates come the next season. If Watson had been a free agent late this year somebody would sign him for that reason alone. 

I just think that somebody expecting to trade him to a team that already has Wilson who is out but returning in a few weeks is wishful thinking. Especially since they're already offering that trade before Watson himself has been traded. The Wilson owner likely has a backup QB already and will surely play them this week, and until Watson (if traded) is actually on the field, and they'd have to give up something to trade for Watson. 

To be clear, with the latest news adding Watson to your roster makes sense, but expecting the Wilson owner to bite on a trade offer seems like a reach. Didn't say it was dumb to make the move, and that person has a play (try to trade him, if not drop him). 

16 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Except Miami isn't denying the reports. 

yeah... they want Watson.  Just trying to figure it out and Im sure they have been dealing with Goodell/NFL in the whole process. 

What a mess Watson created for everyone.  He should be kicked out of the league just for causing this headache in the first place.

1 minute ago, Chief Dick said:

Of course not. They are right now monitoring all the social networks to see how their fan base is reacting to this.  And will decide from there. Just my opinion.

Have you ever attended a Dolphin game?  Either the stadium is half empty or overflowing with opposing jerseys.  (Bears, Pats, Jets, Giants... anything from the NE will do).  Not sure how important the Dolphin fan base is to this decision, other than whether it will put more fans in the seats.  

• Like 1

From a real football perspective, I don't get this. Let's say Miami gives up two or three 1st round picks to get Watson. If they trade for the guy, it's not to sit him on the bench. They're going to play him, likely ASAP.

So this forces Goodell's hand - they have to do something one way or the other: either go option#1 - Watson is going on the commisioner's exempt list or go option #2 - say they're staying out of the situation entirely. Option #2 will be a sh!tstorm, regardless of how any one of us feels about it. It's gonna be a sh!tstorm, guaranteed.

My point is: how can you trade all that draft capital and not know if you can even play the guy? Maybe the league is saying something through back channels that is reassuring Miami. I would say that the source here - John McClain - is a veteran reputable reporter, so I'm less inclined to just say this is the Texans trying to gin up trade interest.

15 minutes ago, stethant said:

From a real football perspective, I don't get this. Let's say Miami gives up two or three 1st round picks to get Watson. If they trade for the guy, it's not to sit him on the bench. They're going to play him, likely ASAP.

So this forces Goodell's hand - they have to do something one way or the other: either go option#1 - Watson is going on the commisioner's exempt list or go option #2 - say they're staying out of the situation entirely. Option #2 will be a sh!tstorm, regardless of how any one of us feels about it. It's gonna be a sh!tstorm, guaranteed.

My point is: how can you trade all that draft capital and not know if you can even play the guy? Maybe the league is saying something through back channels that is reassuring Miami. I would say that the source here - John McClain - is a veteran reputable reporter, so I'm less inclined to just say this is the Texans trying to gin up trade interest.

If the Dolphins are smart they'll get more than just the verbal word from somebody that Watson can play. Back channel discussions will mean nothing if he's suspended or commish exempt list right after the signing. I don't get why the NFL hasn't done anything yet, do they have an agreement with the Texans management that says they won't let Watson play to avoid the NFL having to do something? 

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Have you ever attended a Dolphin game?  Either the stadium is half empty or overflowing with opposing jerseys.  (Bears, Pats, Jets, Giants... anything from the NE will do).  Not sure how important the Dolphin fan base is to this decision, other than whether it will put more fans in the seats.  

Exactly, it's Miami. The 5 people who care would jump for joy if they signed him.