[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Project Thread

rajncajn

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Gee rajn I hope you were still able to watch some football this weekend, and your head doesn't hurt too much....

Up until the last part of the 4th quarter of the Bills-Chiefs game last night, I haven't watched a minute of football since the Saints last game. I wouldn't have even watched last night except the Mrs was flipping through channels and asked me if I wanted to watch it. So, it was on while I was working and then I stopped working long enough to watch the flurry of touchdowns before OT. I was cleaning up when KC was driving for the win, so I didn't really see that either.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Almost ready to mount. Just have to drill the holes for the power cord. You can see where the old cord went through,  the new one is about 6" in from that.

20220124_152138.thumb.jpg.0039d378867b94b6610ee7c04fd5a97b.jpg

Nicely done. It's such a pain in the ass to hang a microwave. I did one a few years back and got soo pissed that I nearly threw it in the pool. Make sure you post the finished product. Good luck 🤞

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Nicely done. It's such a pain in the ass to hang a microwave. I did one a few years back and got soo pissed that I nearly threw it in the pool. Make sure you post the finished product. Good luck 🤞

Will do, thanks!. It may not be today though. We have company coming over & the Mrs has already told me I have to wait to start back up again. Also, if I can't figure out how to get that side wall drilled out, one of my coworkers said he'll lend me his 90 degree drill joint when I'm back in the office Wednesday . I think, though that I'll be able to reach it with a spade bit and an extension from that right side cabinet, which is where the outlet is.

On 1/24/2022 at 3:29 PM, League_Champion said:

I have nothing to add other than I almost did the same thing!  It's like there's no standard for those things.  I ultimately hired someone else to do it.  

Congrats on the project!

• Thanks 1

The fun never ends... I took my truck to my daughters concert Saturday night and all the way there I could tell something didn't sound right. My first thought was that it sounds like an exhaust leak. The next morning I had to run to the store and it sounded much worse. I get to the store and took a look behind my rear wheel well and this is what I find:

20220130_170545.thumb.jpg.9490717467af9d8c1eae93daa63d2c13.jpg

Given that I STILL need to buy tires for the truck and I also have to replace the front wheel bearings as well as all the front end linkage,  this one is going to have to get the coonass engineering treatment. 

13 hours ago, rajncajn said:

The fun never ends... I took my truck to my daughters concert Saturday night and all the way there I could tell something didn't sound right. My first thought was that it sounds like an exhaust leak. The next morning I had to run to the store and it sounded much worse. I get to the store and took a look behind my rear wheel well and this is what I find:

Given that I STILL need to buy tires for the truck and I also have to replace the front wheel bearings as well as all the front end linkage,  this one is going to have to get the coonass engineering treatment. 

Curious what you plan to do, is there some kind of heat resistance tape, like what I've seen exhaust systems wrapped with, that would work to seal the leak, and prevent more damage. 

I recall a cross country trip where our exhaust pipe was coming loose, my dad stopped at a gas station where they were able to use some large wire to keep it in place, lasted the next 3 days until we got to our destination where dad knew a guy with an auto dealership that took care of it. 

41 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Curious what you plan to do, is there some kind of heat resistance tape, like what I've seen exhaust systems wrapped with, that would work to seal the leak, and prevent more damage. 

I recall a cross country trip where our exhaust pipe was coming loose, my dad stopped at a gas station where they were able to use some large wire to keep it in place, lasted the next 3 days until we got to our destination where dad knew a guy with an auto dealership that took care of it. 

I'm going to try to find something like this, but if not JB Weld makes a fiber tape for exhaust repair. I'm pretty sure I'll also need to find a replacement for the rusted exhaust clamp, but I'll need to get under there and remove the clamp first in order to be sure I get the right thing and to see if it would work with the coupler clamp. I need to see if there's damage on the other exhaust as well. I may also add a hanger somewhere to reduce any movement that would compromise the patch. Down the road I'll probably just replace the entire thing since it looks like there's significant rust around the glasspack welds too.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Oh boy, few things piss me off more than shoddy craftsmanship that someone paid for. I got under the truck this afternoon and the culprit is the clamp for the glass pack. But that's just the result of the issues.

As you can see in the original pic,  the muffler is offset from the glass pack. Well, that's because there's a total of two hangers supporting the entire weight of the muffler system and what they do have puts that point in stress. When it broke loose it swung out under the weight.  One of the hangers is bolted on, the other is "welded." Here is a pic of that weld:

20220201_164832.thumb.jpg.450b228f0257d4b3357e04b4143d96f0.jpg

I'm no welder, but I know a manure weld when I see one.

Oh, but that's not all. When I push the muffler back in line it actually rests against the plastic housing for the electronic brake distribution unit. Maybe I'm out of my head here,  but somehow I don't think it's a great idea to put a hot exhaust pipe against plastic, nevermind the lack of clearance. 

Speaking of clearance,  that brings me to the real kicker and possibly the ultimate cause.  These idiots decided it would be a good idea to run the exhaust directly over,  not just the axle casing, but right over where it bolts to the pinion housing. For those that don't know,  it's the big fat thing in the middle of your rear axle. Of course,  your rear axle moves up and down and your muffler does not. Yeah, I'm pretty certain that's why I have a huge dent in my muffler and a nice hole in it. 

20220201_165101.thumb.jpg.0b6e12fe593a1789d19be19cebc811c9.jpg

Edited by rajncajn
  • Confused 1

On 1/31/2022 at 4:44 PM, rajncajn said:

It's all ball bearings these days!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

It ain't pretty,  but a step closer. I haven't had much time to work on it lately,  but I got a little done. Keep in mind,  this is just temporary until I can replace the whole thing:

20220213_141622.thumb.jpg.836a3e8320720426127d4cce529358e5.jpg

Once the exhaust sealant sets I'll fish the pipe back into place, apply sealant on the other end and marry them back together. I'll let it sit overnight then wrap it with the exhaust tape for added stability. Hopefully I'll have it done by this weekend,  but I'm also supposed to get my tires put on this week, so we'll see.

One end all gooped up with the coupling.

20220213_141622.thumb.jpg.6ae7222ef464108a8ad7130407223726.jpg

Fitted back in place and sanding a bit for a smoother surface. I put some of the excess sealant on the other pipe where the clamp was just in case there were some exhaust leaks that weren't visible. 

20220220_184026.thumb.jpg.76e7fdc523bb35348db7f29abd745947.jpg

It doesnt look real pretty,  but when I'm done it'll be solid until I'm ready to replace the whole thing.  All I've got left is to wrap it for stability and attach the clamp I made to secure it.

Next weekend I'm hoping I can get my front wheel bearings, rotors and brake pads replaced. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Final repair

20220221_151331.thumb.jpg.79c92969ac7c2df39a99db0a91826f54.jpg

Like I said,  not pretty, but it's not going anywhere. Below I made a much better version of the garbage clamp bracket that was on there before. 

20220221_151346.thumb.jpg.16787ba03397884b740d736286dc7c9f.jpg

Here I added a new tailpipe clamp since the old one broke.

20220221_151509.thumb.jpg.67376d1ed87ff990370034f1b98d0991.jpg

Can't wait to just replace the whole thing. Its just lower on the list of things that need to get done. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 8:29 AM, rajncajn said:

I'm going to try to find something like this, but if not JB Weld makes a fiber tape for exhaust repair. I'm pretty sure I'll also need to find a replacement for the rusted exhaust clamp, but I'll need to get under there and remove the clamp first in order to be sure I get the right thing and to see if it would work with the coupler clamp. I need to see if there's damage on the other exhaust as well. I may also add a hanger somewhere to reduce any movement that would compromise the patch. Down the road I'll probably just replace the entire thing since it looks like there's significant rust around the glasspack welds too.

Well, thanks to you I'm now getting promotional emails from Amazon trying to sell me the above exhaust clamp.

:rofl:

• Haha 2

Parts ordered yesterday for my truck and should be in by next weekend.  When I'm done it should ride like it just rolled out the showroom. Rotors and wheel bearings for front and rear,  brake pads and all new suspension linkage for the front end. I'm actually looking forward to getting this one done. :weird:

Well, since nobody else cares to venture a guess. It's a cooling shower for the seafood pot. When you boil crawfish/seafood, you have to get the temperature down quickly to prevent overcooking. Most people just dump a bag or two of ice into the pot, but that dilutes the seasoning greatly. With this rig you just hang it on the pot with the hose attached and stir the pot with the shower on. Temps come down faster than with the ice.

20200524_122106.thumb.jpg.139301ccdb13423e3c8d5295a19d8f43.jpg

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 2