Sign in to follow this  
rajncajn

The Project Thread

Recommended Posts

Gee rajn I hope you were still able to watch some football this weekend, and your head doesn't hurt too much....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Gee rajn I hope you were still able to watch some football this weekend, and your head doesn't hurt too much....

Up until the last part of the 4th quarter of the Bills-Chiefs game last night, I haven't watched a minute of football since the Saints last game. I wouldn't have even watched last night except the Mrs was flipping through channels and asked me if I wanted to watch it. So, it was on while I was working and then I stopped working long enough to watch the flurry of touchdowns before OT. I was cleaning up when KC was driving for the win, so I didn't really see that either.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost ready to mount. Just have to drill the holes for the power cord. You can see where the old cord went through,  the new one is about 6" in from that.

20220124_152138.thumb.jpg.0039d378867b94b6610ee7c04fd5a97b.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Almost ready to mount. Just have to drill the holes for the power cord. You can see where the old cord went through,  the new one is about 6" in from that.

20220124_152138.thumb.jpg.0039d378867b94b6610ee7c04fd5a97b.jpg

 

Nicely done. It's such a pain in the ass to hang a microwave. I did one a few years back and got soo pissed that I nearly threw it in the pool. Make sure you post the finished product. Good luck 🤞

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

 

Nicely done. It's such a pain in the ass to hang a microwave. I did one a few years back and got soo pissed that I nearly threw it in the pool. Make sure you post the finished product. Good luck 🤞

Will do, thanks!. It may not be today though. We have company coming over & the Mrs has already told me I have to wait to start back up again. Also, if I can't figure out how to get that side wall drilled out, one of my coworkers said he'll lend me his 90 degree drill joint when I'm back in the office Wednesday . I think, though that I'll be able to reach it with a spade bit and an extension from that right side cabinet, which is where the outlet is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed and ready to use. The only thing I have left to do is modify the two outer drawers so that they'll slip over the mounting bolts. 

20220125_184503.thumb.jpg.6e7b28beccc03c83264a882a7ffae4bf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Installed and ready to use. The only thing I have left to do is modify the two outer drawers so that they'll slip over the mounting bolts. 

20220125_184503.thumb.jpg.6e7b28beccc03c83264a882a7ffae4bf.jpg

 

Great job! I wouldn't of had the patience. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2022 at 3:29 PM, League_Champion said:

 

Nicely done. It's such a pain in the ass to hang a microwave. I did one a few years back and got soo pissed that I nearly threw it in the pool. Make sure you post the finished product. Good luck 🤞

 

I have nothing to add other than I almost did the same thing!  It's like there's no standard for those things.  I ultimately hired someone else to do it.  

 

Congrats on the project!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's a beast. Looks good though

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fun never ends... I took my truck to my daughters concert Saturday night and all the way there I could tell something didn't sound right. My first thought was that it sounds like an exhaust leak. The next morning I had to run to the store and it sounded much worse. I get to the store and took a look behind my rear wheel well and this is what I find:

 

20220130_170545.thumb.jpg.9490717467af9d8c1eae93daa63d2c13.jpg

Given that I STILL need to buy tires for the truck and I also have to replace the front wheel bearings as well as all the front end linkage,  this one is going to have to get the coonass engineering treatment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rajncajn said:

The fun never ends... I took my truck to my daughters concert Saturday night and all the way there I could tell something didn't sound right. My first thought was that it sounds like an exhaust leak. The next morning I had to run to the store and it sounded much worse. I get to the store and took a look behind my rear wheel well and this is what I find:

 

20220130_170545.thumb.jpg.9490717467af9d8c1eae93daa63d2c13.jpg

Given that I STILL need to buy tires for the truck and I also have to replace the front wheel bearings as well as all the front end linkage,  this one is going to have to get the coonass engineering treatment. 

 

Curious what you plan to do, is there some kind of heat resistance tape, like what I've seen exhaust systems wrapped with, that would work to seal the leak, and prevent more damage. 

 

I recall a cross country trip where our exhaust pipe was coming loose, my dad stopped at a gas station where they were able to use some large wire to keep it in place, lasted the next 3 days until we got to our destination where dad knew a guy with an auto dealership that took care of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

 

Curious what you plan to do, is there some kind of heat resistance tape, like what I've seen exhaust systems wrapped with, that would work to seal the leak, and prevent more damage. 

 

I recall a cross country trip where our exhaust pipe was coming loose, my dad stopped at a gas station where they were able to use some large wire to keep it in place, lasted the next 3 days until we got to our destination where dad knew a guy with an auto dealership that took care of it. 

I'm going to try to find something like this, but if not JB Weld makes a fiber tape for exhaust repair. I'm pretty sure I'll also need to find a replacement for the rusted exhaust clamp, but I'll need to get under there and remove the clamp first in order to be sure I get the right thing and to see if it would work with the coupler clamp. I need to see if there's damage on the other exhaust as well. I may also add a hanger somewhere to reduce any movement that would compromise the patch. Down the road I'll probably just replace the entire thing since it looks like there's significant rust around the glasspack welds too.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy, few things piss me off more than shoddy craftsmanship that someone paid for. I got under the truck this afternoon and the culprit is the clamp for the glass pack. But that's just the result of the issues.

 

As you can see in the original pic,  the muffler is offset from the glass pack. Well, that's because there's a total of two hangers supporting the entire weight of the muffler system and what they do have puts that point in stress. When it broke loose it swung out under the weight.  One of the hangers is bolted on, the other is "welded." Here is a pic of that weld:

20220201_164832.thumb.jpg.450b228f0257d4b3357e04b4143d96f0.jpg

I'm no welder, but I know a manure weld when I see one.

 

Oh, but that's not all. When I push the muffler back in line it actually rests against the plastic housing for the electronic brake distribution unit. Maybe I'm out of my head here,  but somehow I don't think it's a great idea to put a hot exhaust pipe against plastic, nevermind the lack of clearance. 

 

Speaking of clearance,  that brings me to the real kicker and possibly the ultimate cause.  These idiots decided it would be a good idea to run the exhaust directly over,  not just the axle casing, but right over where it bolts to the pinion housing. For those that don't know,  it's the big fat thing in the middle of your rear axle. Of course,  your rear axle moves up and down and your muffler does not. Yeah, I'm pretty certain that's why I have a huge dent in my muffler and a nice hole in it. 

 

20220201_165101.thumb.jpg.0b6e12fe593a1789d19be19cebc811c9.jpg

 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2022 at 4:44 PM, rajncajn said:

The fun never ends... I took my truck to my daughters concert Saturday night and all the way there I could tell something didn't sound right. My first thought was that it sounds like an exhaust leak. The next morning I had to run to the store and it sounded much worse. I get to the store and took a look behind my rear wheel well and this is what I find:

 

20220130_170545.thumb.jpg.9490717467af9d8c1eae93daa63d2c13.jpg

Given that I STILL need to buy tires for the truck and I also have to replace the front wheel bearings as well as all the front end linkage,  this one is going to have to get the coonass engineering treatment. 

 

It's all ball bearings these days!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It ain't pretty,  but a step closer. I haven't had much time to work on it lately,  but I got a little done. Keep in mind,  this is just temporary until I can replace the whole thing:

 

20220213_141622.thumb.jpg.836a3e8320720426127d4cce529358e5.jpg

Once the exhaust sealant sets I'll fish the pipe back into place, apply sealant on the other end and marry them back together. I'll let it sit overnight then wrap it with the exhaust tape for added stability. Hopefully I'll have it done by this weekend,  but I'm also supposed to get my tires put on this week, so we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just checking the fitment,  but this is basically what is going to look like when it's all done. Just snugged up a little better,  covered/filled with exhaust weld and wrapped with exhaust tape. 

 

20220208_173159.thumb.jpg.b99c429ed8390c2815040820235e50d2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One end all gooped up with the coupling.

20220213_141622.thumb.jpg.6ae7222ef464108a8ad7130407223726.jpg

Fitted back in place and sanding a bit for a smoother surface. I put some of the excess sealant on the other pipe where the clamp was just in case there were some exhaust leaks that weren't visible. 

20220220_184026.thumb.jpg.76e7fdc523bb35348db7f29abd745947.jpg

It doesnt look real pretty,  but when I'm done it'll be solid until I'm ready to replace the whole thing.  All I've got left is to wrap it for stability and attach the clamp I made to secure it.

 

Next weekend I'm hoping I can get my front wheel bearings, rotors and brake pads replaced. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final repair

20220221_151331.thumb.jpg.79c92969ac7c2df39a99db0a91826f54.jpg

Like I said,  not pretty, but it's not going anywhere. Below I made a much better version of the garbage clamp bracket that was on there before. 

20220221_151346.thumb.jpg.16787ba03397884b740d736286dc7c9f.jpg

Here I added a new tailpipe clamp since the old one broke.

20220221_151509.thumb.jpg.67376d1ed87ff990370034f1b98d0991.jpg

Can't wait to just replace the whole thing. Its just lower on the list of things that need to get done. 

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2022 at 8:29 AM, rajncajn said:

I'm going to try to find something like this, but if not JB Weld makes a fiber tape for exhaust repair. I'm pretty sure I'll also need to find a replacement for the rusted exhaust clamp, but I'll need to get under there and remove the clamp first in order to be sure I get the right thing and to see if it would work with the coupler clamp. I need to see if there's damage on the other exhaust as well. I may also add a hanger somewhere to reduce any movement that would compromise the patch. Down the road I'll probably just replace the entire thing since it looks like there's significant rust around the glasspack welds too.

 

Well, thanks to you I'm now getting promotional emails from Amazon trying to sell me the above exhaust clamp.

 

:rofl:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parts ordered yesterday for my truck and should be in by next weekend.  When I'm done it should ride like it just rolled out the showroom. Rotors and wheel bearings for front and rear,  brake pads and all new suspension linkage for the front end. I'm actually looking forward to getting this one done. :weird:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now for something unrelated to cars. This is something I made last year and hoping to get a chance to use it again real soon. Can anyone tell me what it's used for?VideoCapture_20220225-113124.thumb.jpg.c819a5fad75e46e316fbc6a7c5aae5d6.jpg

 

 

Edited by rajncajn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

dog shower?

No, but that would be entertaining. My dog would never sit still long enough to use it.

 

Clue: It's a seasonal utensil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, since nobody else cares to venture a guess. It's a cooling shower for the seafood pot. When you boil crawfish/seafood, you have to get the temperature down quickly to prevent overcooking. Most people just dump a bag or two of ice into the pot, but that dilutes the seasoning greatly. With this rig you just hang it on the pot with the hose attached and stir the pot with the shower on. Temps come down faster than with the ice.

20200524_122106.thumb.jpg.139301ccdb13423e3c8d5295a19d8f43.jpg

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.