[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weber Adventures

rajncajn

On 6/5/2022 at 3:19 PM, rajncajn said:

Anybody ever try smoking wings before? Were doing some for the first time today. Not sure how they'll turn out. I'm cooking with the coals in a basket to one side and a smoke box with apple chips to one side. My wife put a dry tub on them last night,  but I don't know what she put. Just something she made up on the fly. Letting them sit on the grill over a pan of water for an hour and check temp. Shooting for 185 internal temp.

these days, smoking wings is my primary method. pretty similar to your method...

oil and rub

indirect heat

wood chips and liquid over direct heat.  instead of water.... i use capri sun.  started doing that years ago when smoking ribs (used apple juice but was out one day, so improved and preferred it).

Edited by Bier Meister
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:46 AM, Bier Meister said:

Something I have done when smoking.... instead of water, use another liquid that you would like the essence of... IE: I have used different variations of capri sun.  I started doing that about 15 years ago when i was doing ribs and was out of apple juice.  grabbed young daughter's juice boxes and i preferred it.

Cherry, tropical, mixed berry, passionfruit/mango

10 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

these days, smoking wings is my primary method. pretty similar to your method...

oil and rub

indirect heat

wood chips and liquid over direct heat.  instead of water.... i use capri sun.  started doing that years ago when smoking ribs (used apple juice but was out one day, so improved and preferred it).

• Like 1

Here's the setup. I'm using a hybrid method of the snake and indirect. I used my fire bricks as a dam instead of the grill basket. Then I stacked the briquettes in an overlapping fashion leaving a little room for the hot coals on each end. Then I laid the apple wood chunks on top. I started a handful of coals, carefully laid them on the ends Then moved the ends of the wood chunks over the hot coals. @Bier Meister, I went with the pacific cooler flavored Capri Sun. 

20220619_130437.thumb.jpg.e0260e151ce64f1219fc16b86027e39f.jpg20220619_132032.thumb.jpg.01348e3e965ea992d6105dd3d178c0d3.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Here's the setup. I'm using a hybrid method of the snake and indirect. I used my fire bricks as a dam instead of the grill basket. Then I stacked the briquettes in an overlapping fashion leaving a little room for the hot coals on each end. Then I laid the apple wood chunks on top. I started a handful of coals, carefully laid them on the ends Then moved the ends of the wood chunks over the hot coals. @Bier Meister, I went with the pacific cooler flavored Capri Sun. 

20220619_130437.thumb.jpg.e0260e151ce64f1219fc16b86027e39f.jpg20220619_132032.thumb.jpg.01348e3e965ea992d6105dd3d178c0d3.jpg

👍

Oh,  completely forgot to post the results. These turned out MUCH better than the first go-around. The wife bought a rub called Sweet Peeper honey kissed bird rub.  Pretty good stuff,  will definitely use again for a quick ready made rub. I smoked them at 300 for 45 minutes,  flipped them and smoked for another 20 minutes, basted with a BBQ sauce and finished in the oven because we had a large amount of wings (2 batches) and were crunched for time. They came out super flavorful, the meat was tender as could be and they got demolished.

Now I've got the method down I can start throwing together some sauces. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

I'm looking to score some of these bad boys for the grill this weekend! Any suggestions on what to put on them?

Brown Shrimp.jpg

orange/ginger butter?

jerk?

thai peanut?

tequila/lime/cilantro?

bbq?

teriyaki?

Szechuan glaze?

Just now, Bier Meister said:

orange/ginger butter?

jerk?

thai peanut?

tequila/lime/cilantro?

bbq?

teriyaki?

Szechuan glaze?

I was thinking possibly chile lime but orange ginger butter sounds fantastic. I'd be a fan of the tequila lime cilantro as well, but not sure about my girls. My oldest is a cilantro fan, like myself, but not the youngest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do the shrimp yet. We spent Friday doing a campus tour for my youngest and Saturday was yard day. I get them fresh from the docks and for the big ones you've got to get there early. Hoping I can do some this week for the company we have coming.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Doing a flat and whole smoked chicken today. @Bier Meister I went with the pacific cooler Capri Sun and apple wood this time. Chicken  will go on when I wrap the brisket since the cook/rest time isnt as lengthy.20230326_141053.thumb.jpg.3e935d61bf1322ee5791c6413f174d41.jpg

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

Finished product was great and,  as usual,  there are always lessons learned. First,  I cut back on the śalt in my rub and it was much better. I'm going to edit my original post with an updated mix. Next, my timing was off and/or I think my temp probe was getting s bad reading. I assumed, wrongly I think, that the brisket cook would take much less time than usual. It really didn't,  but I also think my temp probe was reading low because it did come out a little bit dryer than usual.

The chicken on the other hand was one of the best birds I've ever cooked at home. 

20230326_213809.thumb.jpg.4dab71a87c3b582f25b2a04ea3c5a577.jpg

• Like 1

I did some super thick cut pork chops this weekend. Marinated in a mix of Captain Rodney's Boucan Pepper Glaze, worchestershire, garlic powder and a bit of smoked paprika. Seared both sides direct over the coals, then moved over the fire bricks till they hit 145. Rested for a few minutes and then gorged. I was in a rush this time,  so I didn't take any pics. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Doing a brisket again for a family get-together Wednesday. What's the opinion on brown sugar in the rub? Right now I'm just using kosher salt, course black pepper, a little onion & garlic powder and a little smoked paprika. What I don't want is to mask the natural flavor of the meat, but I know a couple of people who use brown sugar. I'm also a bit concerned about the sugar burning.

• Like 1

Edited to update my rub recipe. I cut back some on the salt and added a few other flavors. I didn't go with the brown sugar and I think I'm happy I didn't.  Bow is what I'm currently using for the rub. I had a bigger brisket this time, which was nearly 16 lbs untrimmed, so I ended up doubling this recipe

-----‐-----------

1/4 cup coarse black pepper

3 tbsp kosher salt

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp onion powder

1 tbsp smoked paprika

1 tsp mustard powder

On 7/17/2023 at 4:26 PM, rajncajn said:

Doing a brisket again for a family get-together Wednesday. What's the opinion on brown sugar in the rub? Right now I'm just using kosher salt, course black pepper, a little onion & garlic powder and a little smoked paprika. What I don't want is to mask the natural flavor of the meat, but I know a couple of people who use brown sugar. I'm also a bit concerned about the sugar burning.

I am a fan for the caramelization , but you are right to be concerned about burning

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

I am a fan for the caramelization , but you are right to be concerned about burning

My rub came out great without the sugar. I may try a small amount next time just to see what it adds. I was a bit disappointed in this last brisket. Instead of going to the meat market where I usually buy,  I opted for a local grocery. It wasn't bad, but I could tell the difference in quality.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Filled a measuring cup to 1/4 lime juice then to 2/3 with olive oil. Mixed in 1 tbsp Andrew Zimern Mexican seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp sugar.

Got the grill ready and started the coals.

Rinsed the fillets and patted dry. (Pic above)

Put the mackerel filets in the marinade and back in the fridge until the coals were ready and the grill was hot. 

20230916_181119.thumb.jpg.f4792fdfac3b5164eb194346d3fb66d2.jpg

First time I tried using the fish basket. It sucked. I oiled the thing and the fish still stuck to it. Was a pain to get all the bits off and the pieces right on the grates cooked better anyway.

113822.thumb.jpeg.e1c39b96c2d17e6004ec0b0435e96c53.jpeg

Worthy of the fine chinette. Made a little pico, bought some guacamole. Also had some outstanding tomatillo salsa and pickled onions. However, we forgot to put out the pickled onions.

113820.thumb.jpeg.d402835947586877fd607d5ceb97106f.jpeg

• Thanks 1