[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dolphins-Texans Have Agreed on Watson Trade

League_Champion

I have a feeling the Dolphins thought the NFL already told them "go ahead he can play" and now before actually signing the deal want something in writing or a more firm commitment and the NFL (who doesn't care if Watson's career is ruined by what could be false accusations) isn't going to do that.

At best the NFL might say "well for now he can play, if there are no new developments..." 

Reading somewhere else that:

Ross wants Watson’s legal issues stemming from a number of sexual misconduct allegations resolved before the Nov. 2 trade deadline next week. The Dolphins owner also wants to know from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell if Watson would be suspended and, if that’s the case, for how long.

6 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Ross wants Watson’s legal issues stemming from a number of sexual misconduct allegations resolved before the Nov. 2 trade deadline next week. The Dolphins owner also wants to know from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell if Watson would be suspended and, if that’s the case, for how long.

This is all so odd "Sexual Misconduct" and "allegations". He hasn't been charged with a dam thing and it doesn't look like any charges are coming. Let the man play until further notice. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Yep I saw that, not sure what makes Ross think he is going to get what he wants, he should have ample opportunity to talk to Goodell and others during the ongoing owners meeting. Of course there's another bigger story there with a former WFT cheerleader crashing the meeting and asking the owners to make the WFT investigation findings fully public and transparent. 

If Ross is telling the media "I want this..." then maybe he's taking his battle to the public, hoping NFL fans will chime in (as some have here) that "he's been charged with no crime, the authorities are not planning to charge him, so let him play". But we all know that criminal charges are not the be all end of for a person the media spotlight to be considered a bad guy that is dealt with. 

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Allegations. How do you know if he's a bad guy or not? 

I don't know if he is a bad guy or not, but hard to believe that every allegation against him is fake. And I was talking specifically about public perception based on the media coverage etc. 

Allegations are enough for many to form an opinion. Maybe you disagree with that, but good luck changing society. Also consider how people who are not sports fans see these stories.

While no charges have been filed, lets not pretend that the police are not investigating as they have had numerous complaints filed with them from women alleging sexual misconduct by Watson. That includes 2 women who are not pursuing civil suits against him (from linked Athletic article). 

https://theathletic.com/2496073/2021/10/26/timeline-of-deshaun-watson-sexual-assault-lawsuits-lawyer-for-texans-owner-tried-to-broker-mediation/

Why are these investigations taking so long? That is the baffling thing, and it could be some shady stuff going on trying to make Watson look bad. 

47 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

This is all so odd "Sexual Misconduct" and "allegations". He hasn't been charged with a dam thing and it doesn't look like any charges are coming. 

He does have 10 criminal complaints filed against him that are still under investigation 

If I recall,  the law in Texas (for some of the charges) isn't even that she has to say "no", it's that he should have known better- like if you slapped a woman's but.

Edited by millworkguy

Tua would absolutely have to go to Houston to make this work.

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that this situation is convenient for Watson. No criminal charges, not allowed to play for a team he has openly said he doesn't want to play for, still getting paid 100% of his salary, trade talks in the mix, etc. - Somehow I won't be shocked if Watson, once dealt, all of a sudden chooses to just throw money at the Civil suits to make them go away and moves on with his life. 

If there were going to be criminal charges, seems like they'd have been filed by now. Civil suits are purely about compensating someone who was wronged, usually with money (which Watson has plenty of). Let's just say I won't be surprised at all if somehow these legal issues become non-issues once he isn't a Texan...

51 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

Tua would absolutely have to go to Houston to make this work.

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that this situation is convenient for Watson. No criminal charges, not allowed to play for a team he has openly said he doesn't want to play for, still getting paid 100% of his salary, trade talks in the mix, etc. - Somehow I won't be shocked if Watson, once dealt, all of a sudden chooses to just throw money at the Civil suits to make them go away and moves on with his life. 

If there were going to be criminal charges, seems like they'd have been filed by now. Civil suits are purely about compensating someone who was wronged, usually with money (which Watson has plenty of). Let's just say I won't be surprised at all if somehow these legal issues become non-issues once he isn't a Texan...

I agree with this. Only thing is if the people filing the civil suits know Watson needs them to go away to get a new deal.....the price to settle just went up!

22 minutes ago, stethant said:

I agree with this. Only thing is if the people filing the civil suits know Watson needs them to go away to get a new deal.....the price to settle just went up!

See, I think just the opposite. The civil cases lingering are exactly the catalyst to make a deal. These legal issues make it easier for the Texans to justify trading away a generational talent like Watson. Cal McNair and Nick Caserio can sleep better at night thinking they traded him for the right reasons (on high moral ground), not because Watson wants nothing to do with your franchise anymore. 

If there were no legal issues for Watson, I think the Houston front office would be in full blown ass-kissing mode trying to do anything and everything to make Watson want to stay. Watson just signed an extension, so he has no real leverage to get dealt. Again, this situation is like the perfect storm needed for a team to even consider trading their generational talent QB.

30 minutes ago, stethant said:

I keep reading that Watson hasn't settled because its an admission of guilt, and he doesn't want to do that, since he is adamant that he didn't do what he's been accused of. So I guess you two think that's just a smoke screen to avoid clearing it up while he's on the Texans who would them expect him to honor his contract and play. 

It will make a good Hollywood movie some day.

3 hours ago, millworkguy said:

He does have 10 criminal complaints filed against him that are still under investigation 

If I recall,  the law in Texas (for some of the charges) isn't even that she has to say "no", it's that he should have known better- like if you slapped a woman's but.

10 complaints, no warrants or charges filed. I can say you touched me. Should you lose your job? 

48 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Oh, he definitely did something wrong. No question.

But world isn't B&w. Somethings are more wrong than others

That's my point.... We truly don't know he DEFINITELY did something wrong. Whatever SOMETHING is was it illegal, immoral, or unethical? Only 1 of those words breach the law. Time will tell if he did anything illegal. If it's the latter of the 3 then he violated the NFL personal conduct policy which requires a suspension or fine. Neither of the 3 has taken place therefore I believe he's innocent until proven guilty.

Edited by gijoerock
Updated

He's a little creepy, that's like saying 

11 hours ago, gijoerock said:

That's my point.... We truly don't know he DEFINITELY did something wrong. Whatever SOMETHING is was it illegal, immoral, or unethical? Only 1 of those words breach the law. Time will tell if he did anything illegal. If it's the latter of the 3 then he violated the NFL personal conduct policy which requires a suspension or fine. Neither of the 3 has taken place therefore I believe he's innocent until proven guilty.

You do realize that is something that relates to legal proceedings, and not to how the NFL or any employer operates when making decisions about their employees who are doing things that are perceived as negative. Being a member of the KKK isn't against the law, but I'm pretty sure if you did that and were an NFL head coach you'd be in some trouble with your boss, or the league. 

I get it, he's a talented athlete that people like watching, and he could help a fantasy team win some games, so hey let's allow him to play until somebody can prove he actually did something wrong. In a court of law, in a criminal suit.  Oh wait, OJ Simpson killed somebody and still wasn't convicted, I guess he was innocent and if an active NFL player should have been allowed to continue his career  :rolleyes: 

27 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

He's a little creepy, that's like saying 

You do realize that is something that relates to legal proceedings, and not to how the NFL or any employer operates when making decisions about their employees who are doing things that are perceived as negative. Being a member of the KKK isn't against the law, but I'm pretty sure if you did that and were an NFL head coach you'd be in some trouble with your boss, or the league. 

I get it, he's a talented athlete that people like watching, and he could help a fantasy team win some games, so hey let's allow him to play until somebody can prove he actually did something wrong. In a court of law, in a criminal suit.  Oh wait, OJ Simpson killed somebody and still wasn't convicted, I guess he was innocent and if an active NFL player should have been allowed to continue his career  :rolleyes: 

OJ went to trial and Deshaun has not been charged with any crime. You're comparing apple's to oranges.