League_Champion

Dolphins-Texans Have Agreed on Watson Trade

I have a feeling the Dolphins thought the NFL already told them "go ahead he can play" and now before actually signing the deal want something in writing or a more firm commitment and the NFL (who doesn't care if Watson's career is ruined by what could be false accusations) isn't going to do that.

At best the NFL might say "well for now he can play, if there are no new developments..." 

20 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

At best the NFL might say "well for now he can play, if there are no new developments

That's kinda what I'm thinking as well. The investigation has been going on forever now and still no criminal charges have been filed. Perhaps the guy is just a kinky creep?? 

• Haha 1

Reading somewhere else that:

Ross wants Watson’s legal issues stemming from a number of sexual misconduct allegations resolved before the Nov. 2 trade deadline next week. The Dolphins owner also wants to know from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell if Watson would be suspended and, if that’s the case, for how long.

6 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Ross wants Watson’s legal issues stemming from a number of sexual misconduct allegations resolved before the Nov. 2 trade deadline next week. The Dolphins owner also wants to know from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell if Watson would be suspended and, if that’s the case, for how long.

This is all so odd "Sexual Misconduct" and "allegations". He hasn't been charged with a dam thing and it doesn't look like any charges are coming. Let the man play until further notice. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

This is all so odd "Sexual Misconduct" and "allegations". He hasn't been charged with a dam thing and it doesn't look like any charges are coming. Let the man play until further notice. 

And yet the league cancelled Jon gruden from emails investigating Daniel Snyder and Washington, yet nothing happens to Snyder for his misconduct.

Allegations of Snyder are worse than Watson.

Watson's accusers refuse to go on the record publicly.

Owners protect their own

Let the guy play

12 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

Yep I saw that, not sure what makes Ross think he is going to get what he wants, he should have ample opportunity to talk to Goodell and others during the ongoing owners meeting. Of course there's another bigger story there with a former WFT cheerleader crashing the meeting and asking the owners to make the WFT investigation findings fully public and transparent. 

If Ross is telling the media "I want this..." then maybe he's taking his battle to the public, hoping NFL fans will chime in (as some have here) that "he's been charged with no crime, the authorities are not planning to charge him, so let him play". But we all know that criminal charges are not the be all end of for a person the media spotlight to be considered a bad guy that is dealt with. 

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

But we all know that criminal charges are not the be all end of for a person the media spotlight to be considered a bad guy that is dealt with. 

Allegations. How do you know if he's a bad guy or not? 

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Allegations. How do you know if he's a bad guy or not? 

I don't know if he is a bad guy or not, but hard to believe that every allegation against him is fake. And I was talking specifically about public perception based on the media coverage etc. 

Allegations are enough for many to form an opinion. Maybe you disagree with that, but good luck changing society. Also consider how people who are not sports fans see these stories.

While no charges have been filed, lets not pretend that the police are not investigating as they have had numerous complaints filed with them from women alleging sexual misconduct by Watson. That includes 2 women who are not pursuing civil suits against him (from linked Athletic article). 

https://theathletic.com/2496073/2021/10/26/timeline-of-deshaun-watson-sexual-assault-lawsuits-lawyer-for-texans-owner-tried-to-broker-mediation/

Why are these investigations taking so long? That is the baffling thing, and it could be some shady stuff going on trying to make Watson look bad. 

Just now, stevegrab said:

Why are these investigations taking so long? That is the baffling thing, and it could be some shady stuff going on trying to make Watson look bad.

Or there's absolutely nothing there? 

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

This is all so odd "Sexual Misconduct" and "allegations". He hasn't been charged with a dam thing and it doesn't look like any charges are coming. 

He does have 10 criminal complaints filed against him that are still under investigation 

If I recall,  the law in Texas (for some of the charges) isn't even that she has to say "no", it's that he should have known better- like if you slapped a woman's but.

Edited by millworkguy

I think Ross doesn't want to be vilified in the media,  and is willing to give Watson a fresh start,  but maybe not at the price of being a distraction. 

45 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Is Tua going to Houston?

I was wondering the same thing.  I wonder if they'd start him or Tyrod, who is close to coming back.

Tua would absolutely have to go to Houston to make this work.

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that this situation is convenient for Watson. No criminal charges, not allowed to play for a team he has openly said he doesn't want to play for, still getting paid 100% of his salary, trade talks in the mix, etc. - Somehow I won't be shocked if Watson, once dealt, all of a sudden chooses to just throw money at the Civil suits to make them go away and moves on with his life. 

If there were going to be criminal charges, seems like they'd have been filed by now. Civil suits are purely about compensating someone who was wronged, usually with money (which Watson has plenty of). Let's just say I won't be surprised at all if somehow these legal issues become non-issues once he isn't a Texan...

51 minutes ago, MTSuper7 said:

Tua would absolutely have to go to Houston to make this work.

Also, the conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that this situation is convenient for Watson. No criminal charges, not allowed to play for a team he has openly said he doesn't want to play for, still getting paid 100% of his salary, trade talks in the mix, etc. - Somehow I won't be shocked if Watson, once dealt, all of a sudden chooses to just throw money at the Civil suits to make them go away and moves on with his life. 

If there were going to be criminal charges, seems like they'd have been filed by now. Civil suits are purely about compensating someone who was wronged, usually with money (which Watson has plenty of). Let's just say I won't be surprised at all if somehow these legal issues become non-issues once he isn't a Texan...

I agree with this. Only thing is if the people filing the civil suits know Watson needs them to go away to get a new deal.....the price to settle just went up!

22 minutes ago, stethant said:

I agree with this. Only thing is if the people filing the civil suits know Watson needs them to go away to get a new deal.....the price to settle just went up!

See, I think just the opposite. The civil cases lingering are exactly the catalyst to make a deal. These legal issues make it easier for the Texans to justify trading away a generational talent like Watson. Cal McNair and Nick Caserio can sleep better at night thinking they traded him for the right reasons (on high moral ground), not because Watson wants nothing to do with your franchise anymore. 

If there were no legal issues for Watson, I think the Houston front office would be in full blown ass-kissing mode trying to do anything and everything to make Watson want to stay. Watson just signed an extension, so he has no real leverage to get dealt. Again, this situation is like the perfect storm needed for a team to even consider trading their generational talent QB.

30 minutes ago, stethant said:

I keep reading that Watson hasn't settled because its an admission of guilt, and he doesn't want to do that, since he is adamant that he didn't do what he's been accused of. So I guess you two think that's just a smoke screen to avoid clearing it up while he's on the Texans who would them expect him to honor his contract and play. 

It will make a good Hollywood movie some day.

1 hour ago, stethant said:

A financial deal was in place, but WATSON refused to sign a non disclosure. It's usually the other way around. He said he'll pay and he's good with the full allegations going public.

They refused to finalize without the non disclosure

3 hours ago, millworkguy said:

He does have 10 criminal complaints filed against him that are still under investigation 

If I recall,  the law in Texas (for some of the charges) isn't even that she has to say "no", it's that he should have known better- like if you slapped a woman's but.

10 complaints, no warrants or charges filed. I can say you touched me. Should you lose your job? 

2 hours ago, League_Champion said:

10 complaints, no warrants or charges filed. I can say you touched me. Should you lose your job? 

He hasn't lost his job, still being paid, just not in the same role.

That's life in the public eye

• Like 1

Some on this thread believes Watson is guilty without having a trial. 22 accusations don't necessarily mean he's innocent or guilty but I understand it gives us cause to pause . I still believe he's innocent until PROVEN guilty.

13 minutes ago, gijoerock said:

Some on this thread believes Watson is guilty without having a trial. 22 accusations don't necessarily mean he's innocent or guilty but I understand it gives us cause to pause . I still believe he's innocent until PROVEN guilty.

Oh, he definitely did something wrong. No question.

But world isn't B&w. Somethings are more wrong than others