[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN Waivers Question

Big Dogs

Hi All, 

For those using ESPN, I have a waivers question on something I noticed today and wondered if anyone knows if the system did this properly or if this is a software bug I should report.  

One of my leagues still uses a waiver system for player pickups.  Waivers ran last night and several teams made moves.  Early this morning one team went online to pick up a player that was now a free agent.  He dropped one of his players and picked up a specific RB (who had cleared waivers and was now a "free agent".)  After picking up this player, the team continued to look for some other options and found a different player he wanted more than the free-agent RB he just acquired.  

So, he dropped the free-agent RB he just picked up and picked up this other WR.  This all happened within a 30-minute time frame.  Typically this practice has been called churning players so others cannot pick up a player for several days, however, our league charges quite a bit for each move, and in this case, the team in question wasn't trying to churn the player.  He just legitimately wanted the other WR more.  

All of this is fine, and I don't even care if someone wants to spend the $$ to churn a player or two as it only builds the pot at the end of the season.  

What I'm curious about is that the RB that was dropped within 30 minutes of being picked up was still listed as a Free Agent and was picked up by another team 6 hours later, even though, the transaction on ESPN saying the RB was "dropped to waivers".  Normally, that RB should have gone back to being on Waivers and based on our league settings should not have been able to be picked up until Sunday.  At least, that is the way it worked in the past with ESPN.

The only thing I could think of is that ESPN changed its own settings to allow this to happen to circumvent the process of churning players on the waiver wire, especially if they are only on a new team roster for a very short period of time.  I couldn't find anything on ESPN about it.

Has anyone else seen this??   I'm the league manager and noticed this, and one other team already asked me about how this happened, but I'm honestly not sure.  

Thoughts???

Edited by Big Dogs

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

There is at least 1 other thread already this year about this.

ESPN tries to avoid roster churning by allowing players that have not been held for a certain period of time to remain free agents

Ok, clearly my search didn't turn that up, but thanks for confirming

On 10/28/2021 at 8:02 PM, millworkguy said:

There is at least 1 other thread already this year about this.

ESPN tries to avoid roster churning by allowing players that have not been held for a certain period of time to remain free agents

ant idea what that period of time is?