[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns will release Odell Beckham Jr.

League_Champion

9 minutes ago, Big John said:

NFLN is saying that the Browns will restructure his contract down to a $1M base contract and change the rest to a signing bonus.  This will make him more affordable on waivers.

That would be huge which means he’ll definitely get claimed. Let’s look at the waiver order.

1. Detroit Lions
  2. Miami Dolphins
  3. Houston Texans
  4. Jacksonville Jaguars
  5. New York Jets
  6. New York Giants
  7. Washington Football Team
  8. Philadelphia Eagles
  9. Seattle Seahawks
  10. Chicago Bears
  11. Atlanta Falcons
  12. San Francisco 49ers
  13. Minnesota Vikings
  14. Indianapolis Colts
  15. New England Patriots
  16. Denver Broncos
  17. Cleveland Browns
  18. Kansas City Chiefs
  19. Carolina Panthers
  20. Los Angeles Chargers
  21. Pittsburgh Steelers
  22. Cincinnati Bengals
  23. New Orleans Saints
  24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  25. Buffalo Bills
  26. Las Vegas Raiders
  27. Dallas Cowboys
  28. Green Bay Packers
  29. Baltimore Ravens
  30. Los Angeles Rams
  31. Tennessee Titans
  32. Arizona Cardinals

I don’t see any way Beckham would go unclaimed by the Seahawks who are always looking to upgrade or the Falcons who desperate without Ridley. Wildcards are Giants and Eagles IMO.

25 minutes ago, squirrelmastr21 said:

That would be huge which means he’ll definitely get claimed. Let’s look at the waiver order.

1. Detroit Lions
  2. Miami Dolphins
  3. Houston Texans
  4. Jacksonville Jaguars
  5. New York Jets
  6. New York Giants
  7. Washington Football Team
  8. Philadelphia Eagles
  9. Seattle Seahawks
  10. Chicago Bears
  11. Atlanta Falcons
  12. San Francisco 49ers
  13. Minnesota Vikings
  14. Indianapolis Colts
  15. New England Patriots
  16. Denver Broncos
  17. Cleveland Browns
  18. Kansas City Chiefs
  19. Carolina Panthers
  20. Los Angeles Chargers
  21. Pittsburgh Steelers
  22. Cincinnati Bengals
  23. New Orleans Saints
  24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  25. Buffalo Bills
  26. Las Vegas Raiders
  27. Dallas Cowboys
  28. Green Bay Packers
  29. Baltimore Ravens
  30. Los Angeles Rams
  31. Tennessee Titans
  32. Arizona Cardinals

I don’t see any way Beckham would go unclaimed by the Seahawks who are always looking to upgrade or the Falcons who desperate without Ridley. Wildcards are Giants and Eagles IMO.

Man I really like Atlanta for him. With Ridley in question they could use him and Matty Ice will sling it to him. Then if Ridley comes back if will be really good for the whole offense. 

3 hours ago, Big John said:

NFLN is saying that the Browns will restructure his contract down to a $1M base contract and change the rest to a signing bonus.  This will make him more affordable on waivers.

Good I hope the Lions, Dolphins or some other bad team signs him. Heck the Giants don't have many healthy WRs maybe he can return the Big Apple and turn it brown.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Good I hope the Lions, Dolphins or some other bad team signs him. Heck the Giants don't have many healthy WRs maybe he can return the Big Apple and turn it brown.

Can't he just not sign?  What would happen if a team claims him and he flat out refuses to sign?  Does he sit out the remainder of the season and become a free agent in 2022?

I can see nearly any of the top 7 pick him off waivers (not the Giants since they sent him to Siberia in the first place):

1. DET
2. MIA
3. HOU
4. JAX
5. NYJ
6. NYG
7. WSH
Really hope Detroit takes him.

Better pad all walls if he doesn't get to free agency. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18433973/new-york-giants-odell-beckham-jr-punches-hole-wall-bangs-head-door-loss-green-bay-packers

Edited by Riffraff

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Can't he just not sign?  What would happen if a team claims him and he flat out refuses to sign?  Does he sit out the remainder of the season and become a free agent in 2022?

Lots of details in the article below, specifically as this relates to OBJ's situation, the current waiver order etc. Does not mention what happens if he does not sign. I suspect he can sit out (get paid by the Browns) and then be a free agent. But I'm not certain.

The reason the deal was restructured is the Browns hope at a lower cost somebody will claim him on waivers. Which means they don't need to pay him. It also means he is more likely to go non contending team, or better yet a really bad team where he can "enjoy" the rest of the season. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/how-does-the-nfl-waiver-wire-work-for-odell-beckham-jr/ar-AAQmxIm?ocid=uxbndlbing

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

He has nothing to sign if he gets picked up on waivers. He can talk contract after that.

17 hours ago, Big John said:

He has nothing to sign if he gets picked up on waivers. He can talk contract after that.

By nothing to sign I take it you mean he cannot refuse, once claimed the player is now a member of that team. He could pout and sit, but then he won't get paid. 

16 hours ago, LordOpie said:

When do waivers close? Announce?

16 hours ago, Big John said:

Tomorrow 4PM Eastern.

I was hearing yesterday that sometime on Monday the waiver claims are announced, so it was clear when he was released that there was no chance he could sign and play this week. That will give fantasy players a chance to determine what is going on (if claimed) before he next week's roster moves are made. 

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMimAFodHRwczovL3Byb2Zvb3RiYWxsdGFsay5uYmNzcG9ydHMuY29tLzIwMjEvMTEvMDYvYnJvd25zLWNvbnZlcnRlZC1zaWduaWZpY2FudC1hbW91bnQtb2Ytb2RlbGwtYmVja2hhbXMtcmVtYWluaW5nLXNhbGFyeS10by1hLXJvc3Rlci1ib251cy1kdWUtbmV4dC13ZWVrL9IBnAFodHRwczovL3Byb2Zvb3RiYWxsdGFsay5uYmNzcG9ydHMuY29tLzIwMjEvMTEvMDYvYnJvd25zLWNvbnZlcnRlZC1zaWduaWZpY2FudC1hbW91bnQtb2Ytb2RlbGwtYmVja2hhbXMtcmVtYWluaW5nLXNhbGFyeS10by1hLXJvc3Rlci1ib251cy1kdWUtbmV4dC13ZWVrL2FtcC8?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

"As the source explained it, Beckham took the deal because Cleveland could have converted the balance of his remaining salary to a signing bonus, reducing his base salary to the minimum and making it much more likely that he’d be claimed on waivers by a team for which he’d rather not play. That was, at the end of the day, the leverage the Browns had to get him to agree to a structure that will help the Browns save some money."

Why do the Browns need his permission? It sounds like they can unilaterally change his salary to the league minimum and make the rest signing bonus and just release him. That is, they could make it 1 million instead of 3 million, which would save a few million. I assume because it looks bad and  impacts signing future players? 

Edited by purplemonster

3 hours ago, purplemonster said:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMimAFodHRwczovL3Byb2Zvb3RiYWxsdGFsay5uYmNzcG9ydHMuY29tLzIwMjEvMTEvMDYvYnJvd25zLWNvbnZlcnRlZC1zaWduaWZpY2FudC1hbW91bnQtb2Ytb2RlbGwtYmVja2hhbXMtcmVtYWluaW5nLXNhbGFyeS10by1hLXJvc3Rlci1ib251cy1kdWUtbmV4dC13ZWVrL9IBnAFodHRwczovL3Byb2Zvb3RiYWxsdGFsay5uYmNzcG9ydHMuY29tLzIwMjEvMTEvMDYvYnJvd25zLWNvbnZlcnRlZC1zaWduaWZpY2FudC1hbW91bnQtb2Ytb2RlbGwtYmVja2hhbXMtcmVtYWluaW5nLXNhbGFyeS10by1hLXJvc3Rlci1ib251cy1kdWUtbmV4dC13ZWVrL2FtcC8?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

"As the source explained it, Beckham took the deal because Cleveland could have converted the balance of his remaining salary to a signing bonus, reducing his base salary to the minimum and making it much more likely that he’d be claimed on waivers by a team for which he’d rather not play. That was, at the end of the day, the leverage the Browns had to get him to agree to a structure that will help the Browns save some money."

Why do the Browns need his permission? It sounds like they can unilaterally change his salary to the league minimum and make the rest signing bonus and just release him. That is, they could make it 1 million instead of 3 million, which would save a few million. I assume because it looks bad and  impacts signing future players? 

I didn't read the article, but not sure why reworking the deal would NOT require him to agree, he is a party to the existing contract, teams cannot just redo a contract and move money from salary to signing bonus as they please. 

Either way he's no longer a Brown as of Monday, and will be inactive today (presumably sitting at home pouting about how he great he could have been). 

One of Cleveland's sports writer's (Terry Pluto) take on Browns after OBJ

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/talkin-to-myself-about-odells-deal-and-the-future-for-browns-terry-pluto.html

Just one nugget to wet your appetite

"For the season, OBJ has 232 yards receiving on 17 catches. In his last three games, Donovan Peoples-Jones (DPJ) has 257 yards receiving. He’s caught 11 of 14 balls thrown to him."