[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns will release Odell Beckham Jr.

League_Champion

I think the Browns wanted to make his deal attractive enough to get claimed, but weren't able to and were more interested in saving a few millions if possible, which I believe still happens when he gets picked up and signs a deal. 

From info in the article linked below he was owed $8M, the settlement with reworked contract changed that to $7.25, which was still a high cost. If he clears waivers as expected the Browns only own him $4.25M and save $3M. 

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/odell-beckham-jr-signs-settlement-191511309.html

Whatever team signs him needs to be prepared to cater to his ego.

7 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

There is no reason for any team to claim him. Even if he wants to play there they could sign him to a one year prove it deal and if it work out they can go from there. 

True. except for having first choice due to waiver order. But most of those teams have no interest in spending $7M on a malcontent whose best days are behind him and won't help them build a better team for the future. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

True. except for having first choice due to waiver order. But most of those teams have no interest in spending $7M on a malcontent whose best days are behind him and won't help them build a better team for the future. 

That’s exactly what I mean. Any team would be stupid to claim him unless they know he wants to go there. And even if he does want to go there they are better off waiting and signing him after he clears

Edited by Finn5033

16 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

That’s exactly what I mean. Any team would be stupid to claim him unless they know he wants to go there. And even if he does want to go there they are better off waiting and signing him after he clears

I agree that teams near the bottom of the standings (DET, HOU, JAX etc) have NO REASON to claim him off waivers. But if you're say the Seahawks or the 49ers at 3-5 and around 10th on the waiver list and really want him, it could be worth spending more to get him instead of having to compete with other top teams that make offers. Of course that's if you can find $7M in room under the salary cap. 

Not sure why you're talking about where he wants to go, since he has no choice when claimed off waivers. Maybe your thought is he sits out and doesn't even play, which just creates headaches for that team who had to clear the cap room to begin with. 

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I agree that teams near the bottom of the standings (DET, HOU, JAX etc) have NO REASON to claim him off waivers. But if you're say the Seahawks or the 49ers at 3-5 and around 10th on the waiver list and really want him, it could be worth spending more to get him instead of having to compete with other top teams that make offers. Of course that's if you can find $7M in room under the salary cap. 

Not sure why you're talking about where he wants to go, since he has no choice when claimed off waivers. Maybe your thought is he sits out and doesn't even play, which just creates headaches for that team who had to clear the cap room to begin with. 

I read a couple articles on it, and basically just seems like common sense. Everybody in the league knows how big of pain he can be, so unless they know he wants to play there why would they bother claiming him and take the chance of wasting that money? Obviously the experts can be wrong but from what I’ve read it’s mostly likely he clears waivers and works out a deal with one of the places he wants to go for less money then it would cost to claim him.

Edited by Finn5033

1 minute ago, Finn5033 said:

I read a couple articles on it, and basically just seems like common sense. Everybody in the league knows how big of pain he can be, so unless they know he wants to play there why would they bother claiming him and take the chance of wasting that money? Obviously the experts can be wrong but from what I’ve read it’s mostly likely he clears wavers and works out a deal with one of the places he wants to go for less money then it would cost to claim him of waivers

Agree, was just trying to clarify he has no say in who tries to claim him off waivers, I recall somebody saying something before like "what if he doesn't sign" like he had to agree to terms with the team making a claim. And it doesn't work that way, he would be under contract and can certainly choose not to play (pretty sure he wouldn't get paid then).

8 minutes ago, Wolverines Fan said:

He's not worth the effort to look up, but wouldn't any team who claims him have to pay the rest of his 2021 salary?  Now that he's unclaimed, is it correct that he's a UFA and can sign for any price, anywhere?  Or does that team still have to pay the Browns or OBJ any part of that contract?   Any capsters here?

On 11/7/2021 at 5:46 PM, Montana is da Man said:

Reports say OBJ wants to become a Seahawk

I've heard that Green Bay tops his list.  Linky

23 hours ago, League_Champion said:

This kid is going to be a stud. 

I got DPJ as a throw-in in a trade earlier this year.  I just felt that OBJ was going downhill fast and Landry is best suited as a 1b or #2.   Not saying DPJ is a #1, but there appear to be opportunities, especially now.  Seems to have rapport with Baker, too.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

He's not worth the effort to look up, but wouldn't any team who claims him have to pay the rest of his 2021 salary?  Now that he's unclaimed, is it correct that he's a UFA and can sign for any price, anywhere?  Or does that team still have to pay the Browns or OBJ any part of that contract?   Any capsters here?

Not a capster at all, but everything I've read says that going unclaimed makes him a free agent, sign with whoever for whatever he wants. Browns owe him about $4.25M, he lost about $3M that was guaranteed. Nothing he gets paid by another team impacts that. Linked article below was one I read earlier today that had some of those details. This was all part of the negotiation to facilitate his exit from the Browns. 

https://autos.yahoo.com/autos/odell-beckham-jr-signs-settlement-191511309.html

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Big John said:

He is too much a headcase.

Not to mention they already have an elite WR and a QB that is a headcase/diva. ;) 

Only bits I've seen so far are "what OBJ wants" not hearing much about teams actually interested in him. I'm sure somebody will sign him, and he'll come cheap for the rest of 2021. Maybe even play well, then get that big contract, and then watch the fireworks. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

I'll be shocked if he's not a Packer here shortly. 

Because?   Reports that say it is his preferred spot, and therefore that is what they predict? 

Doesn't seem like a good fit, he's going to be second fiddle both in terms of being top WR and top diva. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Because?   Reports that say it is his preferred spot, and therefore that is what they predict? 

Doesn't seem like a good fit, he's going to be second fiddle both in terms of being top WR and top diva. 

He's gonna be second/third fiddle wherever he goes.