[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jon Gruden suing NFL, Roger Goodell

League_Champion

56 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Not surprised since those emails were from a confidential investigation into Washington and owner

I understand your perspective, but this wouldn't be his argument since incriminating evidence found during a consent search is usually allowed. His case is why is his the only messages that got leaked? While it doesn't classify as defamation of character, it is somewhat similar if the goal was to damage his reputation.

"There was no explanation or justification for why Gruden's emails were made public out of the 650,000 emails collected in the NFL's investigation of the Washington Football Team or why the emails were held for months before being released in the middle of the Raiders' season." 

Sounds like somebody didnt like Chucky. My assumption is that they'd need to know who released it. Even if they find it was a NFL higher up, not sure it is actionable because other people were on the email chain and they could have released the emails with impunity as well, with or without an investigation. Gruden was a non-NFL employee writing to his buddies. Not surprised he's suing, don't know the law well enough to say. Seems fairly clear it was an orchestrated effort to get this info into the public realm.   

5 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Even if they find it was a NFL higher up, 

I'm not sure it would have to be a higher up level manager.  If you have a negative experience at Starbucks,  the ceo is under fire, even though it may have been some part time teenager making 10 bucks an hour .  If there is a negative interaction with a police offer the victim sues the city and the department (not the individual responsible for the interaction)

So, as long as the leak came from the nfl, I think he has a case.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

I'm not sure it would have to be a higher up level manager.  If you have a negative experience at Starbucks,  the ceo is under fire, even though it may have been some part time teenager making 10 bucks an hour .  If there is a negative interaction with a police offer the victim sues the city and the department (not the individual responsible for the interaction)

So, as long as the leak came from the nfl, I think he has a case.

This is correct which is why the lawsuit says "NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell."

14 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Sound like you know law

Not really just simple common sense and reading a bit about the case he filed. One does not need to be an attorney or legal expect to offer an informed opinion.   His argument is basically "you reviewed all these emails, and only leaked information about mine to the media."  

He may have a case, could even win and get some $$ but it won't restore his job or reputation. 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Not really just simple common sense and reading a bit about the case he filed. One does not need to be an attorney or legal expect to offer an informed opinion.   His argument is basically "you reviewed all these emails, and only leaked information about mine to the media."  

He may have a case, could even win and get some $$ but it won't restore his job or reputation. 

Common sense says that it won't restore his job or reputation. I think that goes without saying and seriously doubt his intent is to do either.

My thought is that he wants to pull back the curtain or, at the very least, make it a little painful for the NFL. Say what you want about Gruden as a person, but I'm hoping the NFL has thrown it's final stone and gets some real exposure for a change. He seems just the guy to do it with the right motivation. I just doubt he has the firepower to really take them on.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Common sense says that it won't restore his job or reputation. I think that goes without saying and seriously doubt his intent is to do either.

My thought is that he wants to pull back the curtain or, at the very least, make it a little painful for the NFL. Say what you want about Gruden as a person, but I'm hoping the NFL has thrown it's final stone and gets some real exposure for a change. He seems just the guy to do it with the right motivation. I just doubt he has the firepower to really take them on.

I think this is exactly the goal! Gruden has a little vindictive edge to him.

Edited by Shaft

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:
2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Sorry I rained on your parade, it seemed like one of the standard comments made when somebody talks about a legal situation. 

I was trying to give shaft a compliment. Thanks for stepping on it

:lol: All good. But I can argue that the 4th Amendment, expectation to privacy, and the exclusionary rule is not always common knowledge. Let's carry on to our usual football talk.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

This is nothing more than Gruden getting a TON of money from the NFL. There is NO WAY this thing ever gets to court. He's gonna get paid big time.

That sounds right to me. I don't see why either party really wants any more emails released, this sounds like a settlement out of court. Clearly the NFL is not interested in transparency surrounding the WFT investigation, only leaking emails about Gruden 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So a judge just rejected the nfl motion to dismiss the charges and has it moved to arbitration where Goodall would be able to be the sole arbitrator and have the final decision.   Imagine the balls, you make a complaint against your former employers organization and then they ask a court for the right to settle the matter internally, after being a large part of why you left

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33983514/judge-denies-nfl-motions-dismiss-jon-gruden-lawsuit-move-arbitration%3fplatform=amp

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2022 at 7:54 PM, millworkguy said:

So a judge just rejected the nfl motion to dismiss the charges and has it moved to arbitration where Goodall would be able to be the sole arbitrator and have the final decision.   Imagine the balls, you make a complaint against your former employers organization and then they ask a court for the right to settle the matter internally, after being a large part of why you left

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33983514/judge-denies-nfl-motions-dismiss-jon-gruden-lawsuit-move-arbitration%3fplatform=amp

Wait, what? You have a problem with Goodell adjudicating a case potentially involving Goodell? He would be so objective though. Damn NFL, they really do think we are fools. I mean, I get it, it is a business, and they definitely don't want to go to discovery, where the Washington Commander's scandal may get blown further into the public eye. If this ruling stands, I think all Chucky needs is the threat of a trial and I'd imagine he's in for a big pay day out of court if he wants it. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, purplemonster said:

If this ruling stands, I think all Chucky needs is the threat of a trial and I'd imagine he's in for a big pay day out of court if he wants it. 

See the article I attached above,  it suggests the Raiders are helping gruden sue the nfl, and if true they don't need money, they are out for Goodell. 

5 hours ago, millworkguy said:

That would not surprise me in the least.

5 hours ago, millworkguy said:

See the article I attached above,  it suggests the Raiders are helping gruden sue the nfl, and if true they don't need money, they are out for Goodell. 

Yep,  I think Gruden really means to go through with it. 

1 hour ago, stethant said:

If Gruden manages to unravel this whole stinking mess, more power to him. His take-down makes little sense. There is something rather important we are missing here.

Yeah, Gruden seems like the type to not let a grudge go and has nothing better to do than fight the system.  What I'm hoping for is a realization that Goodell is a slimeball that needs to be ousted.  There are plenty of good people within the NFL that could do his job at a fraction of the price and not act dirty.