[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What should the Saints do at QB?

rajncajn

Looking at the remaining schedule I think they may be able to eek out one, maybe two more wins and hopefully that will give them a clearer picture of what Taysom can really bring as a passer. So, assuming he plays well despite the finger, the Saints go into the off-season with Winston coming off IR and without a contract,  Hill who just signed a new deal, Simien who will likely never be a starter and Ian Book who we know nothing about as an NFL player.

Book has been all over the place in terms of projections, but even the Saints agree he's not NFL ready yet. Winston I was never sold on and I don't know if he'd be willing to take another short-term contract and I think giving him a big, long term deal would be a big mistake,  especially with our cap. I don't even know if the Saints really want him back TBH. With where we will likely be picking, I'm wondering if the better option would be to ride Hill next season or even the next two and take a QB with their 1st round pick. I think that they could have a shot at Matt Corral if they move up some,  but I really think Pickett might be there around where they will be picking. Either of those guys would be a perfect fit for Payton and could start much sooner rather than later.

There's been other talk about bringing in another vet like Wilson, but I doubt that's very realistic.

7 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Russ or Rodgers 

Don't think we could afford either,  but I agree. We could compete now with Tampa Bay. Although I think I would prefer Wilson,  how awesome would that be with Rodgers and Brady in the same division?

2 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Don't think we could afford either,  but I agree. We could compete now with Tampa Bay. Although I think I would prefer Wilson,  how awesome would that be with Rodgers and Brady in the same division?

… and to groom a rookie next year 

10 hours ago, rajncajn said:

That was my q. Can you compete with TB with a good QB? Receiver ranks are a little thin. I don't know, I havent watched enough Saints. If no, then I'd consider riding it out with Hill and draft ASAP. Unless you can get some friendly veteran deal. 

Edited by purplemonster

Just now, purplemonster said:

That was my q. Can you compete with TB with a good QB? Receiver ranks are a little thin. I don't know, I havent watched enough Saints. If no, then I'd consider riding it out with Hill and draft ASAP. Unless you can get some friendly deal. 

Michael Thomas should be back next year and a guy like Rodgers would get more production out of the others. 

Wilson or Watson would be great, I've got both players on my squad as potential keepers next year. 

Hill is under contract and at least a good backup with the gadget stuff on the side. I agree that Winston isn't the long term answer, and not worth any significant contract. 

As for Cook, if the season is lost and he's prepared enough maybe letting him play a game/half might tell them if he has the potential. He had some nice stats in college, but was clearly not a top prospect with where he got drafted. 

Here's another long term question for the Saints, how much longer is Sean Payton the HC? (I am not suggesting they get rid of him or that he wants to leave/retire.) He has been there 15 years, and is almost 58, been an NFL coach for almost 25 years. He would be somebody you want around to groom a new QB and fit them into an offense that works for them using the talent on their roster. So hopefully he's there another 3-5 years. 

Good luck, I like when the Saints are contending, because they are not the Cowboys, or the Steelers or the Bradys. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Wilson or Watson would be great, I've got both players on my squad as potential keepers next year. 

Hill is under contract and at least a good backup with the gadget stuff on the side. I agree that Winston isn't the long term answer, and not worth any significant contract. 

As for Cook, if the season is lost and he's prepared enough maybe letting him play a game/half might tell them if he has the potential. He had some nice stats in college, but was clearly not a top prospect with where he got drafted. 

Here's another long term question for the Saints, how much longer is Sean Payton the HC? (I am not suggesting they get rid of him or that he wants to leave/retire.) He has been there 15 years, and is almost 58, been an NFL coach for almost 25 years. He would be somebody you want around to groom a new QB and fit them into an offense that works for them using the talent on their roster. So hopefully he's there another 3-5 years. 

Good luck, I like when the Saints are contending, because they are not the Cowboys, or the Steelers or the Bradys. 

Payton and Loomis will probably be there as long as they want to continue to be involved with football. As long a Gayle owns the team, Laucha, Loomis & Payton aren't going anywhere. She's not really interested in managing the team and those three are inseparable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinishTheDrill said:

Sam Darnold has earned one more chance.  A different look, elsewhere.  

Sam. 

He didn't seem to do much with that chance, Panthers are still trying to figure out what to do at QB. Does he even get a chance to start next year? He had a nice start winning the first 3, but overall he was 4-5 and had a lower passer rating than any season in NY. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

He didn't seem to do much with that chance, Panthers are still trying to figure out what to do at QB. Does he even get a chance to start next year? He had a nice start winning the first 3, but overall he was 4-5 and had a lower passer rating than any season in NY. 

Agree, he started out nice and just fell apart. He reverted back to the old Darnold. I think it's pretty clear what he is at this point. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:24 PM, rajncajn said:

With competent QB play you could compete with the Bucs for sure. They have alot of impending free agents they'll lose and Brady is getting no younger. I think New Orleans would be a very attractive place to play, assuming you can figure out the cap room.

I agree Watson is not the answer.

The cap space is an intriguing problem, though. I know your question focused on what to do at QB but what are the prospects of a tear-down? The problem with starting Taysom with your current roster and head coach is that you could go anywhere from 5-12 to 8-9 no problem, I think. That'll never get you a QB.

7 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I know, I was joshing.  I had him for 5 weeks, 3 of them were excellent.  I dont think he will start anywhere again.  He's a backup going forward.  

• 2 weeks later...