[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RIP John Madden

whomper

:(

Man, that sucks.  Just remembering his voice brings up a ton of childhood memories for me.  We spent a lot of Sunday afternoons at my grandparents' house, watching/listening to him and Pat Summerall do their thing.  Late afternoons in Minnesota... it would be dark by the time the late games ended.  There are very few things that I can remember from 35+ years ago as if they happened yesterday.  Imagining John Madden talk about John Riggins and the Redskins punching in a touchdown feels that way to me.  Love them or hate them, they are easily the most memorable pair of sports announcers in any sport that I have witnessed in my lifetime.  Not even close.  

• Like 3

Very sad day.

Some of my earliest sports memories are of John Madden and Pat Summerall calling NFL games.

At the time there was nobody like Madden. He'd use the words boom, zap, pow when he was a digital pen or whatever to diagram plays on live television. He knew tons about football but never talked down to the audience. Madden came across like a regular guy, and he made the game fun to watch.

And I think he coined the phrase "winning is great deodorant."

He was a giant in coaching, broadcasting and gaming.

RIP Mr. Madden.  You'll be missed. :(:(

Edited by Wolverines Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

:(

Man, that sucks.  Just remembering his voice brings up a ton of childhood memories for me.  We spent a lot of Sunday afternoons at my grandparents' house, watching/listening to him and Pat Summerall do their thing.  Late afternoons in Minnesota... it would be dark by the time the late games ended.  There are very few things that I can remember from 35+ years ago as if they happened yesterday.  Imagining John Madden talk about John Riggins and the Redskins punching in a touchdown feels that way to me.  Love them or hate them, they are easily the most memorable pair of sports announcers in any sport that I have witnessed in my lifetime.  Not even close.  

Yeah... Watching games before and after Sunday dinner and my Grandparents.   Then the bittersweet part of it ending at the start of 60 Minutes.  :)  R.I.P. Mr. Madden

• Like 1

“Self praise is for losers, be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class and be humble.”  - John Madden

John Madden's three rules for his players:

1. Be on time.

2. Pay attention.

3. Play like all hell when I tell you to.

“A coach is just a guy whose best class in grammar school was recess and whose best class in high school was P.E. I never thought I was anything but a guy whose best class was P.E.” - John Madden

"If you go back to the history of the 'Madden' game, I was probably on the cover of it half the time. So if I was to believe there was a curse, I would also have to believe I'd been cursed. And I've never had that feeling." - John Madden.

"The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break." - John Madden.

"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else." - John Madden.

"Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest men on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest men on the field." - John Madden.  :lol:

My brother and I had just watched the All Madden special from Christmas day and sat down to dinner when we hear the news. What a shock. We had reminisced about Madden, coaching, broadcasting and of course the game. 

A true legend, he closed the special making the observation that he never realized quite how much he impacted all those people.

RIP and BOOM  you were the greatest

PS The All Madden special should be available on many streaming outlets and I read that Fox Sports 

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Like others have said, his voice and persona were iconic, and will be missed.  Did anyone happen to see the special they ran on him on Christmas Day?  I missed it, and now am really bummed that I did.  Wonder if they'll re-run it now.

RIP, Coach.

They are running it Thursday Night on Fox. 8:00 pm eastern time.

29 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

Isn't it running twice tonight as well, maybe on FS1?  9 and 10:30.

Edited by irish

22 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

I've been trying to locate the re-air on broadcast TV for one of my brothers who missed it. Here is an official tweet from Fox Sports PR

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOXSportsPR/status/1475997346437730313

Tuesday and Wednesday(today) at 9PM Eastern on Fox Sports 1 ...also 10:30 Eastern today.

I doubt the onscreen or online guides will have the updated listings.

Edited by stevegrab

9 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

He also used that telestrator for max comedic effect. Haven't seen others do it 

During the All Madden documentary they showed him using his finger on a screen pointing and drawing, I believe it was before they were actually using the telestrator. My brother mentioned one Thanksgiving he and some friends watched the game while using markers to draw on the TV screen. 

The way Summerall and Madden played off each other was magical.  The mention of his passing brings a flood of soundbite memories.  Not too many like him.  Outside of Madden/Summerall in the NFL, I immediately think of Keith Jackson for college ball and Vin Scully for MLB.  I'd also say Dave Niehaus, but that is likely a homer bias.

Just great voices and enthusiasm that transcended the job at hand.

In one of the old Maddens , if you did a fake punt , Summeralls voice would say "Its a fake!" My friends and I till this day just randomly blurt that out on occasion. Summerall had an amazing broadcasting  voice and Madden was so colorful. No better tandem will ever exist in a booth 

Edited by whomper