[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings vs Packers (SNF)

League_Champion

Probably should have been. Got to love Zimmer's comments on Mond. Why did you think he wasn't ready to play? "Because I watch him every day". (Mond is a 3rd round Texas A&M rookie they have had all year ro work with). That's the way to build the rook's confidence! 

https://twitter.com/ActionNetworkHQ/status/1477889525007351808?s=20

Edited by purplemonster

4 minutes ago, Finn5033 said:

Vikings fans got to see how much Cousins means to this team though 

I dunno...  seems to me that one could say that Cousins single-handedly destroyed the last chance the Vikes had to make it to the post season.  

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

he has gotten a bum rap, but is a better than average qb.

Ehhhh, kinda, but I agree with the second part of your statement. 

The thing with Cousins is he isn’t really one of those “make something out of nothing” playmakers. Every now and then you’ll see a spark of potential greatness, but it never kindles into a full flame.  In that sense he’s the perfect fit for the Vikings. 

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

I dunno...  seems to me that one could say that Cousins single-handedly destroyed the last chance the Vikes had to make it to the post season.  

In what sense?  Because he didn't play?  Not sure that's fair, unless we're going to say the same thing about anybody else who missed a game due to testing positive.  His just happened to be Week 16, a must-win week for MIN.  But, they shouldn't have even been in that position.  CIN, ARI, CLE, DAL, BAL, DET... all losses that they certainly could have won, and probably SHOULD have won most of those games.  By "should" have, I mean that they led by multiple scores (or at least a TD) in all of them, and in at least 3-4 of them, gave the gam away late.  Win half of those, and they are in the playoffs, regardless of what happens in these last two weeks.  Win just two of those six, and they likely just need to go 1-1 in the final two weeks. 

Cousins is what he's always been.  A top-10 QB when he's got adequate protection.  When he's not well protected, it's a different story.  Not terrible, but not as good.  I think there's two ways of looking at it.  One, he's never been the Vikings' biggest problem.  At times, it's the defense (bend, but don't break, not very aggressive, etc.  Example, the DET, DAL, CIN, ARI and BAL losses).  A lot of the time, it's been the O-Line (hasn't been good, in terms of pass protection, in YEARS).  And, the coaching has been adequate, but never to the point where I would say it's their strength.  Zimmer doesn't out-coach people.  He plays conservatively, and hopes to squeak out a win, usually.  He's still, after what (a decade?) below average in time-management, etc.  Borderline embarassing. 

On the other hand, Cousins is limited.  He may be their strength, in terms of being a stable part of the team (when protected), but he doesn't get himself out of trouble.  It's like having a center fielder in baseball who is pretty good defensively, not very fast, OK power but not great, but a very good base-runner in terms of decision-making.  Yeah, he's not a liability in any one area, but he doesn't "wow" anybody either.  And, it's at a position where more and more teams are finding guys who DO "wow" you.  Guys who can move well in the pocket, avoid pressure, etc.  An accurate arm only gets you so far in today's NFL.  

Does that mean that they should get rid of him?  I don't think so.  Brady has proven that you can win without being mobile.  But, you have to be able to get rid of the ball quickly.  Most of the time, Cousins does that.  And, sometimes, in his defense, the offensive play-calling isn't doing him any favors, either.  

I still like the common denominator in all of their recent underachieving seasons is the coaching.  Too vanilla, too conservative, and too "play not to lose, not play to win."  I would love to take the same group of talent, both offensively and defensively, and pair it up with a younger, more aggressive coach, and see what happens.  If that still doesn't yield any better results, then it might be time for more drastic changes.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Gopher said:

In what sense?  Because he didn't play?  Not sure that's fair, unless we're going to say the same thing about anybody else who missed a game due to testing positive.  His just happened to be Week 16, a must-win week for MIN.  But, they shouldn't have even been in that position.  CIN, ARI, CLE, DAL, BAL, DET... all losses that they certainly could have won, and probably SHOULD have won most of those games.  By "should" have, I mean that they led by multiple scores (or at least a TD) in all of them, and in at least 3-4 of them, gave the gam away late.  Win half of those, and they are in the playoffs, regardless of what happens in these last two weeks.  Win just two of those six, and they likely just need to go 1-1 in the final two weeks. 

Cousins is what he's always been.  A top-10 QB when he's got adequate protection.  When he's not well protected, it's a different story.  Not terrible, but not as good.  I think there's two ways of looking at it.  One, he's never been the Vikings' biggest problem.  At times, it's the defense (bend, but don't break, not very aggressive, etc.  Example, the DET, DAL, CIN, ARI and BAL losses).  A lot of the time, it's been the O-Line (hasn't been good, in terms of pass protection, in YEARS).  And, the coaching has been adequate, but never to the point where I would say it's their strength.  Zimmer doesn't out-coach people.  He plays conservatively, and hopes to squeak out a win, usually.  He's still, after what (a decade?) below average in time-management, etc.  Borderline embarassing. 

On the other hand, Cousins is limited.  He may be their strength, in terms of being a stable part of the team (when protected), but he doesn't get himself out of trouble.  It's like having a center fielder in baseball who is pretty good defensively, not very fast, OK power but not great, but a very good base-runner in terms of decision-making.  Yeah, he's not a liability in any one area, but he doesn't "wow" anybody either.  And, it's at a position where more and more teams are finding guys who DO "wow" you.  Guys who can move well in the pocket, avoid pressure, etc.  An accurate arm only gets you so far in today's NFL.  

Does that mean that they should get rid of him?  I don't think so.  Brady has proven that you can win without being mobile.  But, you have to be able to get rid of the ball quickly.  Most of the time, Cousins does that.  And, sometimes, in his defense, the offensive play-calling isn't doing him any favors, either.  

I still like the common denominator in all of their recent underachieving seasons is the coaching.  Too vanilla, too conservative, and too "play not to lose, not play to win."  I would love to take the same group of talent, both offensively and defensively, and pair it up with a younger, more aggressive coach, and see what happens.  If that still doesn't yield any better results, then it might be time for more drastic changes.  

That's very good Gopher, that hits it right on the head. Especially describing Cousins. Not much I disagree with. Personally I am in blow it up mode. Including Cousins, but I can see why that isn't as appealing to others.

3 hours ago, Gopher said:

Cousins seems better for fantasy than the actual NFL to me.  I like him well enough on the field and I agree with all the above. As a Jets fan, I was thrilled when Cousins took the then 'groundbreaking' fully guaranteed 3 year deal from the Vikes, because I wanted the Jets to draft any of Darnold, Mayfield, Allen.  Boy, that sure worked out well for my Jets didn't it?  Cousins is not elite, but he's capable enough and better than Mayfield and way better than Darnold.  If I have my facts correct, the fact that he was not vaxxed prevented any possible return by Monday due to the longer protocol for the unvaxxed. And that's what I was referring to.  Unfair or not, if those are the correct facts, that's what it is.  'Unfair' has nothing to do with it anyway.

Edited by Dcat

14 hours ago, Dcat said:

Cousins seems better for fantasy than the actual NFL to me.  I like him well enough on the field and I agree with all the above. As a Jets fan, I was thrilled when Cousins took the then 'groundbreaking' fully guaranteed 3 year deal from the Vikes, because I wanted the Jets to draft any of Darnold, Mayfield, Allen.  Boy, that sure worked out well for my Jets didn't it?  Cousins is not elite, but he's capable enough and better than Mayfield and way better than Darnold.  If I have my facts correct, the fact that he was not vaxxed prevented any possible return by Monday due to the longer protocol for the unvaxxed. And that's what I was referring to.  Unfair or not, if those are the correct facts, that's what it is.  'Unfair' has nothing to do with it anyway.

Yeah, that's a whole different debate.  Protocols are ridiculous.  My comment was a response to the fact that Cousins "single-handedly" cost the Vikings a playoff spot, which couldn't be further from the truth.  No offense, but that's just not true.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gopher said:

Yeah, that's a whole different debate.  Protocols are ridiculous.  My comment was a response to the fact that Cousins "single-handedly" cost the Vikings a playoff spot, which couldn't be further from the truth.  No offense, but that's just not true.  

Whether the protocols are ridiculous or not is not the issue.  He failed to clear them and couldn't play.  Had he played, they would have had a chance.  Those are facts.  Not opinions. 

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Whether the protocols are ridiculous or not is not the issue.  He failed to clear them and couldn't play.  Had he played, they would have had a chance.  Those are facts.  Not opinions. 

Cook missed the week 16 game with COVID, did he "directly contribute to them missing the playoffs"? Does this apply to every player that tests positive and misses time? Or just the unvaccinated because they are more likely to miss time, or miss more time?

Was Cousins taking extra risks outside the facility to cause him to get COVID?