[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

WFT to be renamed on February 2.

Big John

Well that's over, not a thrilling name, also not much potential to be offensive in the future. Great job of keeping the secret, why would they tell Theisman before announcing it? Why unload boxes of merchandise in plain site before you announce it? 

OH I forgot a name change needs to be accompanied by a big video production, and since you have all these people including former players shouting out "WE ARE COMMANDERS" they're going to know in advance. Surprised it didn't leak earlier. 

So what team is pressured into changing their name next, Chiefs? Braves? Blackhawks? Seminoles? Utes? 

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Well that's over, not a thrilling name, also not much potential to be offensive in the future. Great job of keeping the secret, why would they tell Theisman before announcing it? Why unload boxes of merchandise in plain site before you announce it? 

OH I forgot a name change needs to be accompanied by a big video production, and since you have all these people including former players shouting out "WE ARE COMMANDERS" they're going to know in advance. Surprised it didn't leak earlier. 

So what team is pressured into changing their name next, Chiefs? Braves? Blackhawks? Seminoles? Utes? 

Blackhawks, I believe are named after a famous Native American tribal chief, IIRC.  It's a name, NOT a slur like "redSKINS".  No change there is needed.
Seminoles and Utes are tribal names.  No slurs there.  No change needed.
Chiefs and Braves are subject to interpretation and of course, the references are subject to personal interpretation, but there is no reference to color (as in the St. Johns Redmen ----> St. Johns Red Storm).  I see zero need for change there.  But any team name that uses SKIN COLOR as a team name reference simply has to go.  It's time we get beyond that.  Color of skin simply can not be a team name motive anymore.

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Blackhawks, I believe are named after a famous Native American tribal chief, IIRC.  It's a name, NOT a slur like "redSKINS".  No change there is needed.
Chiefs and Braves are subject to interpretation and of course, the references are subject to personal interpretation, but there is no reference to color (as in the St. Johns Redmen ----> St. Johns Red Storm).  I see zero need for change there.  But any team name that uses SKIN COLOR as a team name reference simply has to go.  It's time we get beyond that.  Color of skin simply can not be a team name motive anymore.

I am aware of that, and I am not suggesting they NEED to be changed. But then I didn't see a need for some of the changes that happened already. Of course I'm just an old white guy and if I don't agree with others I'll be labeled a racist. What about the Chiefs fans doing that chant, same goes for Braves (and we did it for the Indians)?  Isn't that considered racist, and a reason to change the names? 

There's a big story locally about removing the name Marshall from things like schools, its attached to the Law College at my alma mater Cleveland State University and was also the name of my high school. Because Marshall owned slaves, even though he was a critic of slavery and thought it was evil and would tear this nation apart. The news story I saw was also showing schools named Jefferson and some others I did not catch. What about Washington, pretty sure he owned slaves, do we stop using that too? Or does he get a pass for some reason? Change the name of Washington DC and state? How many other prominent figures from our first century as a nation owned slaves and will be removed from our lives? Where does it end? In 100 years what names will become offensive? What people will be deemed "inappropriate" for naming schools and places? Roosevelt? Kennedy? 

PS  Browns is a color in a team name, but it came from founder Paul Brown. But I don't doubt some would label it racist anyway. 

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

A good point, but not completely accurate. The Seminoles are accepted because the Seminole tribe actually supports the usage of their name by the University. They're also the only Native American tribe that was NOT conquered. There is a lot of pride associated with being a Seminole.

39 minutes ago, Shaft said:

A good point, but not completely accurate. The Seminoles are accepted because the Seminole tribe actually supports the usage of their name by the University. They're also the only Native American tribe that was NOT conquered. There is a lot of pride associated with being a Seminole.

I didn't know that.  Thanks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

I think a little depends on what you consider 'conquered'. There were a few hundred holdouts who would not sign a treaty. Some of their descendants live on the Seminole Reservation in Florida. Interesting history. https://www.semtribe.com/stof/history/no-surrender!