[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baker Mayfield Gives Browns Ultimatum on Trade Demand

League_Champion

48 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He has basically been playing on a damaged shoulder for a while now and it has diminished velocity.  I don't understand the organization not doing what was best for long-term with him.  Unless they are desperately and illogically in some sort of fantastical  win-now mode or something.  That can happen when a coaching staff is on the cusp of being replaced.  I'm no Baker fan, but it's patently obvious he has been playing with a bum-arm lately.

I was saying to people back when we faced the Lions, give him that week off, maybe 2. They faced the Ravens after the Lions, then a bye then the Ravens again. Terry Pluto (sports write who wrote the article I linked in that post) wasn't the only one calling for the Browns to rest him. Just because he was the starter and cleared to play, doesn't mean he should continue playing hurt. Especially with a quality backup in Keenum. Not sure why they continued playing him, who all was involved in the decision and if some (Baker, Stefanski, front office, owner) pushed for him to continue playing.

As for all of you who want Baker to see what he can do for your team, you're going to have to wait. I think he's back with the Browns for 2022, there are no plans to trade him and honestly we'd get a very low return. As 2022 goes on they'll see what they do, franchise tag, long term deal, move on etc. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

He has basically been playing on a damaged shoulder for a while now and it has diminished velocity.  I don't understand the organization not doing what was best for long-term with him.  Unless they are desperately and illogically in some sort of fantastical  win-now mode or something.  That can happen when a coaching staff is on the cusp of being replaced.  I'm no Baker fan, but it's patently obvious he has been playing with a bum-arm lately.

It is his nonthrowing shoulder though isn't it? Im sure it can still screw up mechanics but my understanding is it is not the throwing shoulder

Hey Stevo, does this look like a winner to you??

His stats in clutch situations are worse: He’s 35th in fourth-quarter passing with a 50.9 completion percentage and 64.5 rating, and 30th in third-down passing with a 50% completion percentage, three touchdowns, six interceptions and a 52.5 rating. He’s 0-5 this season in potential gamewinning drives.

21 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

It is his nonthrowing shoulder though isn't it? Im sure it can still screw up mechanics but my understanding is it is not the throwing shoulder

Correct, it is the non-throwing shoulder, but he wears a harness to keep that from moving too much, and it limits his range of motion and messes up the mechanics. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Cousins quietly put up a nice season though. His stats are pretty dam good. 

18 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

sure. I'd take him.

You can have Bridgewater back.

Oh I dont think he's bad, in fact he can be pretty damn good if he has protection. It's all the other times I am worried about. Nevertheless maybe a change of scenery would be good for everybody. Broncos D at least is legit. Vikes are kind of shaky everywhere we aren't winning anything soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Yep it was all over the news here yesterday. But since some person wrote an article, based on the info in some other article, from some anonymous source "Baker is demanding a trade" is the headline for fools like Snooki to eat up and spread to others. 

Here's something to consider, Baker has played really bad recently, the injuries are definitely affecting him. Why wasn't he rested at some point, given a chance to heal and get better. We have a more than capable backup who could have played. This is what a real sports writer (Pluto has won many awards) say, and what real Browns fans are talking about. Not some fake drama about demanding a trade. 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/01/the-strange-season-for-case-keenum-and-how-it-could-have-been-different-terry-pluto.html

Baker really sucked this year so it was surprising to me that they didn’t play Keenum more. It was obvious the shoulder was bothering Baker. His mechanics were off most of the year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

wow!

?

too much or too little?

It was a knee jerk reaction of too much, but after looking at other trades these picks seem pretty fair and maybe a bargain. The Panthers got Darnold for a 2021 6th round pick and 2nd and 4th round picks in 2022. Matthew Stafford cost 2021 3rd round pick, 2022 1st round pick, and 2023 1st round. Carson Wentz cost a 2022 conditional 2nd round pick and 2021 3rd round pick. Baker is only 26 and has shown some signs of maturity, so it's a fair offer.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shaft said:

It was a knee jerk reaction of too much, but after looking at other trades these picks seem pretty fair and maybe a bargain. The Panthers got Darnold for a 2021 6th round pick and 2nd and 4th round picks in 2022. Matthew Stafford cost 2021 3rd round pick, 2022 1st round pick, and 2023 1st round. Carson Wentz cost a 2022 conditional 2nd round pick and 2021 3rd round pick. Baker is only 26 and has shown some signs of maturity, so it's a fair offer.

I don't think a 2 & 3 is ridiculous either. I think the real question would be his new contract. What are they willing to pay for an average QB? Long term, short term? The Wentz deal turned out to be a first round pick and a third round pick. 

I'm hesitant to comment exactly what people will give for him because I've been surprised before what teams will offer. A desperate team who really believes that he'll be better with a repaired shoulder and passes a physical? Could be a conditional first could be a second plus other things I don't know. I don't think I'd be offering a conditional first but I can't rule out there somebody who would.

58 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

If Baker is traded this off-season I'll take a hiatus from the huddle forums for the month of September.

I strongly doubt that he'll be traded, what are the alternatives? I only see it happening if they are in the Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson or Aaron Rodgers sweepstakes and that's very unlikely.