[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brian Flores Fired in Miami

League_Champion

He was on a hot seat list I was reading on the weekend. They started off 1-7, then went 8-1 but not many quality wins (BAL and NO). 3 full years, 24-25, I guess they just felt he hadn't turned things around. Gase was fired after 3 years and a similar 23-25 record, Philbin 3+ years 24-28, Sparano 3+ years 29-32....that's a pretty consistent pattern. Last successful HC they had was Wannstedt 42-31 in 4.5 years. 

Looking for news one story proclaims he will be a top candidate for other openings. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

He was on a hot seat list I was reading on the weekend. They started off 1-7, then went 8-1 but not many quality wins (BAL and NO). 3 full years, 24-25, I guess they just felt he hadn't turned things around. Gase was fired after 3 years and a similar 23-25 record, Philbin 3+ years 24-28, Sparano 3+ years 29-32....that's a pretty consistent pattern. Last successful HC they had was Wannstedt 42-31 in 4.5 years. 

Looking for news one story proclaims he will be a top candidate for other openings. 

Until they have a new owner it’ll be like shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, blaw23 said:

I am shocked by this. As a Dolphins fan I have to say I am disappointed as well. I think he has done a good job with the talent he was given. I think if anyone should have been fired it should be Chris Grier. 

Sounds like it was a power struggle between HC and GM, the GM had been a part of the organization for 20 years, and won the battle. 

Also sounds like this change could impact their chances of landing Watson, since the Flores was a driving force behind that, and part of what had Watson interested. 

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1480550597111783430

https://twitter.com/DariusJButler/status/1480558265457123328

1 minute ago, LordOpie said:

speculation on local radio is that Deshaun Watson is a fan of Brian Flores. I wouldn't be surprised if HOU hired Flores and kept Watson. 

So they'll fire their current head coach (David Culley) after one season (4-13) because their best player had legal issues and didn't play (team basically benched him) held out and now there's a guy available to take over?

I thought Watson wanted out of Houston because of ownership?

12 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Houston has a QB, his name is Davis Mills and he's pretty dam good. 

Really, like franchise QB good?  Setting records as a rookie good?  Seems like a rookie who showed some flashes while playing on a pretty bad team expected to win only a few games.

Texans also have a proven elite QB in Watson. Yes he has the legal issues, but we don't know where those will be in 3-6 months when it matters. 

4 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Really, like franchise QB good?  Setting records as a rookie good?  Seems like a rookie who showed some flashes while playing on a pretty bad team expected to win only a few games.

Texans also have a proven elite QB in Watson. Yes he has the legal issues, but we don't know where those will be in 3-6 months when it matters. 

If not for injuries in College he would of been the second QB taken overall, no doubt. He's insanely talented, WHEN HEALTHY. 

They will never admit it, but I think it is probably the other way around if anything. Grier wanted Tua and Flores wanted Herbert and there have been other personnel decisions that Flores did not agree with. Flores and Tua do not have a great relationship. Grier has been with the Dolphins for almost 20 years so he won out when it became clear one of them had to go. Unfortunately, I think that was the wrong decision. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, purplemonster said:

The internal struggle angle is the only one that makes sense. The team is doing fine and seem to be improving so it doesn't really make sense otherwise. There will be lots of interest in Flores

Agree on the power struggle thing.

I thought ownership and the gm wanted Watson but Flores wanted to stick with Tagovailoa. Whatever.

Three seasons, no playoffs…not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.  The Pats lost Tom Brady, had a down year, and are back in the playoffs with a rookie QB and without a 1000 yard rusher or receiver.  Flores came out of NE as the DC. Maybe the thought is that the Defense has performed similarly since he left, and maybe he wasn’t the key to that success when he was in New England.

The results haven’t been there, and three years is more than a lot of guys get.

14 hours ago, Caveman_Nick said:

Three seasons, no playoffs…not sure why this is a surprise to anyone.  The Pats lost Tom Brady, had a down year, and are back in the playoffs with a rookie QB and without a 1000 yard rusher or receiver.  Flores came out of NE as the DC. Maybe the thought is that the Defense has performed similarly since he left, and maybe he wasn’t the key to that success when he was in New England.

The results haven’t been there, and three years is more than a lot of guys get.

Not sure why you're comparing the Dolphins to the Pats, a team with a HOF coach (those don't come around often) and a well run organization that has been developed by the same HOF coach and those around him. 

Some NFL teams are just well run, others are a joke, my own Browns included most times. Those who cannot find the right guy, and keep trying over and over and over take forever to get good, and it rarely lasts more than a few years. 

Just because coaches are fired every year, often with 2-3 years or less time, doesn't mean it is the right strategy. Maybe it was here and Flores did all he could, just saying this notion of "well you had 3 years and never made the playoffs do you're fired" is not a sound strategy for success. 

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Not sure why you're comparing the Dolphins to the Pats, a team with a HOF coach (those don't come around often) and a well run organization that has been developed by the same HOF coach and those around him. 

Some NFL teams are just well run, others are a joke, my own Browns included most times. Those who cannot find the right guy, and keep trying over and over and over take forever to get good, and it rarely lasts more than a few years. 

Just because coaches are fired every year, often with 2-3 years or less time, doesn't mean it is the right strategy. Maybe it was here and Flores did all he could, just saying this notion of "well you had 3 years and never made the playoffs do you're fired" is not a sound strategy for success. 

People hire assistants from NE, at least in part, to bring some of that winning culture along with them.  Flores didn’t bring enough of it, or didn’t parlay it into winning soon enough.  Easy line to draw.  Sorry you can’t see the connection.