Jump to content

Brian Flores Fired in Miami


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's a good question. I guess, at least to get your name out there if anything. 

That's pretty much the situation they (black coaches) are in now. They get called for interviews, but is anyone really serious about hiring them? I think it's a valid question given the lack of hires, whether it has merit or not. You've got to think that it has factored in on occasion at least and that's got to be on their minds every time they get called on interviews and don't get hired. It's a conundrum, for sure and I think the only solution is to do away with the Rooney rule and start incentivizing minority hires. As much as I hate force-feeding diversity, I see little way past the current culture and stigma of both black coaches and white management.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's interesting to me is that there are only 3 minority NFL HCs now (Tomlin, Rivera, Saleh). But its not like there haven't been more over the last decade or 2 since the Rooney Rule was put in place. Two were just fired (Culley & Flores), 2020 had Anthony Lynn, and 2018 had Hue, Bowles, Vance Joseph and Steve Wilks as well as Rivera, Lynn and Tomlin. That is 7, nearly 1/4 of the jobs. 

 

Its not like every minority that is interviewed is just to satisfy the Rooney RUle and none are ever hired. Sure in some cases that is true, especially if you have your guy picked out before doing many interviews. Sure if none are hired this year just 3 remain, and that's seems like a step backwards. 

 

PS  Not sure how you incentivize NFL teams to hire minorities for top positions. Draft picks, more salary cap space?  I'd think it needs to be something that helps them make their team better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2022 at 12:47 PM, stevegrab said:

 

Maybe your view is "Rooney rule leads to more racism, with sham interviews", which could be true but it would be shocking to see it removed without something else in place. Personally I feel the most qualified people should do the job, don't agree with hiring quotas in general

 

It's a crazy rule that's obviously not working. So if a coach that you really really want is available and he happens to be white you still have to interview minorities regardless? If you're a team it makes sense to bring in 2 minorities ASAP to appease the process and then proceed with your coaching search. It makes no sense at all and is insulting to minorities. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

It's a crazy rule that's obviously not working. So if a coach that you really really want is available and he happens to be white you still have to interview minorities regardless? If you're a team it makes sense to bring in 2 minorities ASAP to appease the process and then proceed with your coaching search. It makes no sense at all and is insulting to minorities. 

Not to mention you're wasting everyone's time,  including your own and you risk losing the guy you're really after. Unless,  of course, you let him know that you are hiring him in which case you are in violation of the rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Not to mention you're wasting everyone's time,  including your own and you risk losing the guy you're really after. Unless,  of course, you let him know that you are hiring him in which case you are in violation of the rules.

 

Yup, and it's obviously not working. There are less NFL Head Coaches than before, and if the Giants had waited to interview Flores they may of lost Daboll. The rule is horrible 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

"Hue Jackson says he wasn't paid to lose NFL games with the Browns but his situation had similarities to that of Brian Flores - CNN"

 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/02/05/sport/hue-jackson-nfl-cleveland-browns-not-paid-spt/index.html

What happened to "I was paid to lose and I have proof?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Did Daboll even know he got the job when BB contacted the other Brian to congratulate him? Either way probably best to wait until its made public before opening your yap 

I wonder how BB knew he was getting the job early.   Is it all inside connections (hence the same previously fired coaches being recycled again and again) 

 

I guess many of these teams are making too much money to actually concern themselves with if they win or not.  I guess I'm the fool for attempting to enjoy the product. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

I wonder how BB knew he was getting the job early.   Is it all inside connections (hence the same previously fired coaches being recycled again and again) 

 

I guess many of these teams are making too much money to actually concern themselves with if they win or not.  I guess I'm the fool for attempting to enjoy the product. 

I figure its like a big fraternity, and they all share info with each other (coaches, GMs, owners, etc). They probably don't expect people to go and text the wrong guy "congrats on the job".

 

As for money, yes teams make a ton regardless of how well they play, or if fans like the team or attend games. The vast majority of money comes from the TV deals, and other revenue streams like merchandise that are only loosely tied to fan interest. People always say "stick to the owners, don't buy tickets don't go to games..." doesn't really matter.

 

I'm not going to let this ruin the NFL for me, I'll see what else comes out in the future, maybe that changes. 

 

I remember how I felt when the NBA officiating scandal broke (feels like 20 years), and I had to accept that maybe the game wasn't as fair as I thought. Haven't been a big NBA fan since, though I have followed it some when the local team was competing for a title. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, League_Champion said:

 

It's a crazy rule that's obviously not working. So if a coach that you really really want is available and he happens to be white you still have to interview minorities regardless? If you're a team it makes sense to bring in 2 minorities ASAP to appease the process and then proceed with your coaching search. It makes no sense at all and is insulting to minorities. 

 

 

16 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Not to mention you're wasting everyone's time,  including your own and you risk losing the guy you're really after. Unless,  of course, you let him know that you are hiring him in which case you are in violation of the rules.

 

Except the point of the rule was (and is) to get black candidates in front of decision makers, which wasn't happening hardly at all before they made the rule.  Tomlin was one of those "token candidates" who ended up getting the Steelers job because of how he nailed the interview.

 

The NFL has to get these guys in front of the decision makers. They have to get more black coaches and administrators into the system at all levels. This is no different than corporate America passing on qualified black candidates for a hundred years. As a society we have to do better to turn this big systemic racism ship around so REAL change can be made.

 

This has to be done for jobs, education, pre-school care, health care, food....all of it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

 

 

Except the point of the rule was (and is) to get black candidates in front of decision makers, which wasn't happening hardly at all before they made the rule.  Tomlin was one of those "token candidates" who ended up getting the Steelers job because of how he nailed the interview.

 

The NFL has to get these guys in front of the decision makers. They have to get more black coaches and administrators into the system at all levels. This is no different than corporate America passing on qualified black candidates for a hundred years. As a society we have to do better to turn this big systemic racism ship around so REAL change can be made.

 

This has to be done for jobs, education, pre-school care, health care, food....all of it.

 

 Agreed, at least when he interviewed they had an open mind and hadn't already made a decision. 

 

Knowing your about to walk into an interview and they have already decided that someone else is getting the job, has to suck, as it doesn't matter what or how you do, being in front of decision makers just become irrelevant,  and who knows if they are actually paying attention to anything that you say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

"Report that unnamed witness heard Stephen Ross offer Brian Flores $100,000 for each 2019 loss disappears from NFL.com - ProFootballTalk"

 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/04/report-that-unnamed-witness-heard-stephen-ross-offer-brian-flores-100000-for-each-2019-loss-disappears-from-nfl-com/amp/

Now that's an interesting story. There is risk here. There is too much money for the NFL and Ross to lose here. The unnamed person who heard that could be in line for a secret big pay day. 

 

I don't know exactly why Flores would make it up. He is likely to get another HC job and soon so maliciously making up something like this would screw himself pretty badly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

 

I don't know exactly why Flores would make it up. He is likely to get another HC job and soon so maliciously making up something like this would screw himself pretty badly

 

The whole thing sounds like sour grapes to me but the timing is definitely suspect. He was certainly in line for another head coaching job. I don't doubt that he was offered incentives to tank. Hell, Doug Pederson openly tanked and nobody said a word. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2022 at 12:03 PM, LordOpie said:

Try to keep up...

Jackson tweeted Tuesday night that Browns owner Jimmy Haslam “was happy we kept losing” and that he was offered “a good number” for each defeat. The director of Jackson’s foundation also charged Browns’ executives Sashi Brown, Paul DePodesta, and Andrew Berry with receiving bonuses for losing games.

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-world-reacts-to-wednesdays-hue-jackson-news/ar-AAToQ7n?li=BBnb7Kz

 

Coach Hue said "You don't have to pay me to lose, I just suck as a coach and lose no matter what, taking your money would be wrong." 

 

Correct he did state earlier he was only offered money, and the article that rajn linked (which you probably didn't read) has Hue saying 

"No, I was never offered money like Brian (Flores) had mentioned," Jackson said. "I think this is a totally different situation but has some similarities."

 

So he was lying initially or now, either way he's lost any credibility. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

 

Coach Hue said "You don't have to pay me to lose, I just suck as a coach and lose no matter what, taking your money would be wrong." 

 

Correct he did state earlier he was only offered money, and the article that rajn linked (which you probably didn't read) has Hue saying 

"No, I was never offered money like Brian (Flores) had mentioned," Jackson said. "I think this is a totally different situation but has some similarities."

 

So he was lying initially or now, either way he's lost any credibility. 

 

Yeah, the whole story is crazy. They didn't have to pay Jackson to lose, that was inevitable. Is he possibly the worst coach of all time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information