[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question

Bobby Brown

Is it any surprise? I hadn't seen it until now but it quickly devolved into a pissing match full of insults and personal attacks. 

There were a lot of stats thrown in there and if there's one thing this debate has proven time and again, it's that stats are easily skewed. 

I just had my Sig 938 stolen out of my truck last month. Over 50 guns were stolen in Nashville in December. Last weekend there were 52 car break ins at the Loews Vanderbilt hotel alone over 3 days! My guess is a lot of stolen guns are headed out of state, probably to Chicago. 

To give my answer to the original question in the other thread, anyone that discharges a firearm in a city or town without knowing exactly where that bullet is going is an irresponsible chalupa. 

41 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

I just had my Sig 938 stolen out of my truck last month. Over 50 guns were stolen in Nashville in December. Last weekend there were 52 car break ins at the Loews Vanderbilt hotel alone over 3 days! My guess is a lot of stolen guns are headed out of state, probably to Chicago.

That's a problem everywhere. Most of the time they break into cars looking for guns only, they'll jiggle handles, if it's unlocked they'll go through the car/truck. In most cases nothing is taken, it's cash or guns they want. 

12 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Does anyone want to admit to tattle telling to the board moderaters which resulted in the gun thread getting locked?  

The limited options seem rather obvious.

Same reason the Tailgate started its slide before and some of the same people involved. No surprise at all to me.

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

You do know these guys will suggest this...

Was more irresponsible?

Are you trying to get another thread locked?  Or just spread your lies and make others look bad who have said no such thing.

And now I see our resident snowflake LC felt threatened by my statement. Really tough guy with all guns is afraid of me? 

PS  I have never run to a moderator here to complain about others. 

Edited by stevegrab

16 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

You can't be leaving guns in your vehicle. That's about as irresponsible as it gets. Especially if you have a permit to carry, otherwise lock it up. 

15 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

And if the anti-gun people don't agree with you then they're hypocrites

11 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I don't see it as pro or anti-gun, it's more common sense to me. Be responsible

Mind blown.... So if you have a permit to carry, and want to carry, and go somewhere where guns are not allowed (say a court building where you need to pass thru a metal detector and face consequences if you carrying), what does the gun owner do? 

Not advocating leaving a gun in the car, just wondering how people who feel they need to always be armed deal with this. 

PS  I am not anti-gun, just not a gun owner, or a gun nut (not all owners are nuts, but there are nuts, even some gun owners here have pointed that out, when we were having a sensible discussion. 

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Mind blown.... So if you have a permit to carry, and want to carry, and go somewhere where guns are not allowed (say a court building where you need to pass thru a metal detector and face consequences if you carrying), what does the gun owner do? 

I don't recall saying any of that! Where do you come up with this crap?? 

8 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Not advocating leaving a gun in the car, just wondering how people who feel they need to always be armed deal with this. 

PS  I am not anti-gun, just not a gun owner, or a gun nut (not all owners are nuts, but there are nuts, even some gun owners here have pointed that out, when we were having a sensible discussion. 

If you know you're going some place that doesn't allow guns,  like a courthouse or a school,  then you don't bring your gun. Common sense. 

15 hours ago, rajncajn said:

If you know you're going some place that doesn't allow guns,  like a courthouse or a school,  then you don't bring your gun. Common sense. 

15 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Steve isn't the brightest bulb in the lamp 💡 

I'm not the one who left my gun in my vehicle and had it stolen. That is why I asked, because yes to me common sense says don't leave guns in your car, especially if there is a rash of thefts of guns from vehicles in the area you park. 

But hey there's LC hurling insults as usual. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You can't be leaving guns in your vehicle. That's about as irresponsible as it gets. Especially if you have a permit to carry, otherwise lock it up. 

I'll address this once but I don't intend to get into an argument over it. 

The gun was hidden beneath other tools in a locked center console in a truck with tinted glass, on my property, which is at the end of a private drive with motion lights and no through traffic.  The truck is easily visible from the street and all angles.  The mall is on the same street and had over a dozen vehicle break ins earlier that evening.  The job was obviously professional - the glass was neatly removed and placed beside the truck, the center console and glove box were popped.  Only the gun was taken; the radar detector, buds, tools, electronics and all the personal belongings in the back were untouched.  Zero fingerprints.  

I work in a hospital at one of the more dangrous parts of Nashville.  Violent crime is 3.5x higher than the national average in that zip code..  As I'm sure you're aware, most hospitals do not allow weapons inside. Regardless, many doctors and staff carry but I wear scrubs and it's impossible.  For a while I left it at home but with Covid, increased poverty and increased crime, I started carrying again.  The lot where I park is well visualized and monitored. 

I was in the military.  I shoot competitively.   And unlike most who carry, I've had to remove it from the holster twice, once in close quarters where it led to the other party fleeing before the cop could arrive.  So for those of us who commute through rough areas but can't have a gun at work, it creates a bit of a dilemma.  Now, I could have removed it from the console at home but the likelihood of anyone coming onto my property for that purpose is very low.  And the neighborhood crime rate is exceptionally low.  However, these guys were fast and good at what they do.  I'll admit I didn't even feel violated - it wasn't personal and they did no damage other than what was needed.  I'm honestly glad I didn't hear them, a confrontation would have made my life a lot more difficult than just an insurance claim.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I'm not the one who left my gun in my vehicle and had it stolen. That is why I asked, because yes to me common sense says don't leave guns in your car, especially if there is a rash of thefts of guns from vehicles in the area you park. 

Up until that night, there was no history of break ins in my area.  It's actually one of the safest areas in Nashville and known for bs speeding tickets because the cops don't have anything else to do.  These weren't routine thieves after pawnable items and there was only one other residential hit reported.  I think they saw an opportunity en route to their planned hit and came back for it.  I don't think they realized the risk - high cop concentration, every house has dogs, and a higher than averate risk of running into an armed homeowner.  They weren't local.

12 minutes ago, 1fastdoc said:

I was in the military.  I shoot competitively.   And unlike most who carry, I've had to remove it from the holster twice, once in close quarters where it led to the other party fleeing before the cop could arrive.  So for those of us who commute through rough areas but can't have a gun at work, it creates a bit of a dilemma.  Now, I could have removed it from the console at home but the likelihood of anyone coming onto my property for that purpose is very low.  And the neighborhood crime rate is exceptionally low.  However, these guys were fast and good at what they do.  I'll admit I didn't even feel violated - it wasn't personal and they did no damage other than what was needed.  I'm honestly glad I didn't hear them, a confrontation would have made my life a lot more difficult than just an insurance claim.

I hear ya, it was my job for 8 years to carry and I still do today. That's a tough situation, I have a Biometric gun safe in my truck shall I need to lock it up and I've never had an issue. It sounds like in your case you may want to carry less lethal to avoid this in the future. There's a good chance that your stolen gun has been used for some pretty bad stuff, possibly murder. It's a huge responsibility when you decide to carry. 

41 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Want to share your professional experience? If not,no worries. I know first responders, LEOs, military don't always want to dig into the past

I have friends who worked on an ambulance who became drug addicts because it's such a difficult job

Military, Private Security. You couldn't pay me enough to be a Police officer nowadays, it's safer in Afghanistan. That's the truth. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

I'll address this once but I don't intend to get into an argument over it. 

The gun was hidden beneath other tools in a locked center console in a truck with tinted glass, on my property, which is at the end of a private drive with motion lights and no through traffic.  The truck is easily visible from the street and all angles.  The mall is on the same street and had over a dozen vehicle break ins earlier that evening.  The job was obviously professional - the glass was neatly removed and placed beside the truck, the center console and glove box were popped.  Only the gun was taken; the radar detector, buds, tools, electronics and all the personal belongings in the back were untouched.  Zero fingerprints.  

I work in a hospital at one of the more dangrous parts of Nashville.  Violent crime is 3.5x higher than the national average in that zip code..  As I'm sure you're aware, most hospitals do not allow weapons inside. Regardless, many doctors and staff carry but I wear scrubs and it's impossible.  For a while I left it at home but with Covid, increased poverty and increased crime, I started carrying again.  The lot where I park is well visualized and monitored. 

Not every situation is the same & I don't blame you at all. I know another guy who used to be on the boards here who also had his gun stolen from his truck and he invested in a vehicle safe. That may be a good option for your situation as well.

19 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

Up until that night, there was no history of break ins in my area.  It's actually one of the safest areas in Nashville and known for bs speeding tickets because the cops don't have anything else to do.  These weren't routine thieves after pawnable items and there was only one other residential hit reported.  I think they saw an opportunity en route to their planned hit and came back for it.  I don't think they realized the risk - high cop concentration, every house has dogs, and a higher than averate risk of running into an armed homeowner.  They weren't local.

Thanks for providing these details. That is pretty wild that they came onto your property in a safer area, I was thinking this happened in a bad part of town, like where you worked. When you mentioned it I assumed the rash of thefts that you talked about was known already. Would make me wonder if they knew you had a gun in there, considering their approach (cutting not smashing glass, no finger prints, nothing else stolen). 

12 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Military, Private Security. You couldn't pay me enough to be a Police officer nowadays, it's safer in Afghanistan. That's the truth. 

I was a combat engineer in a previous life - long, long time ago.  Doesn't translate well into the real world other than blowing up people I don't like.

I ran through something called the Citizens Police Academy in Nashville, which is weekly for 3 months.  You see pretty much every aspect and also ride with them.  I wound up riding along with a guy from the North precinct, which is also the area where I work now.  There is a specific way in but it was blocked due to a homecoming game so I detoured through the neighborhoods on the way to the cop shop.  They were surprised I didn't get car jacked on the road in, which is one they typically avoid because they get shot at.  

1 minute ago, stevegrab said:

Thanks for providing these details. That is pretty wild that they came onto your property in a safer area, I was thinking this happened in a bad part of town, like where you worked. When you mentioned it I assumed the rash of thefts that you talked about was known already. Would make me wonder if they knew you had a gun in there, considering their approach (cutting not smashing glass, no finger prints, nothing else stolen). 

I doubt it since it's not something I discuss or advertise and the mall got hit on a grand scale.  But a large truck in TN is a safe bet.