[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bills vs Chiefs (Sunday)

League_Champion

The Bills shouldn't have kicked the ball into the endzone with 13 seconds left, should've sqibbed it. Chiefs wouldn't have had time to get into position or at least, it would've been harder. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, irish said:

The Bills shouldn't have kicked the ball into the endzone with 13 seconds left, should've sqibbed it. Chiefs wouldn't have had time to get into position or at least, it would've been harder. 

Agreed. I think Romo mentioned that. 

1 minute ago, Shorttynaz said:

Who the fk ever calls Tails??

Lmao!  Everyone who went to Notre Dame.

34 minutes ago, irish said:

Yep, squibbing it would've burned some precious seconds and probably only given Mahommes one plays vs. two.

2 hours ago, irish said:

That's what I didn't understand. Play a whole season with your super human QB and then play into the hands of other superhuman QB.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irish said:

I feel like all head coaches should literally have like a semester-long class on game clock management and end of game management. All these billions of dollars. After watching hundreds of sticky endgame scenarios you would think this would become automatic. 

In this case I see that you don't want to kick return touchdown but they're extremely rare. What's really not rare is Patrick Mahomes finding a way to win.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, League_Champion said:

The playoffs should be a whole quarter of OT. Old school 

Agreed. A full game with big consequences shouldn't be decided with a coin toss. Besides, where the hell are we going, we are enjoying ourselves. Makes conditioning a bigger factor too. At the very least make it so the other team can match with a TD. 

Edited by purplemonster

4 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Agreed. A full game with big consequences shouldn't be decided with a coin toss. Besides, where the hell are we going, we are enjoying ourselves. Makes conditioning a bigger factor too. At the very least make it so the other team can match with a TD. 

I know, it's soo dumb. The current setup is only to appease the networks. Overtime was cutting into their programming and costing them $$$. 

10 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Fouts/Marino? 

10 hours ago, Big John said:

Fouts/Strock.  1981 season.  Marino wasn't there yet.

The Epic in Miami

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_in_Miami

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198201020mia.htm

A lot more of the scoring was done earlier, with just 2 TDs in the 4th, this had 3 TDs and a FG in the final 2 minutes. That was insane. 

What a great weekend of football, I cannot remember one with such exciting finishes, every game settled on the final play, game winning or tying FGs to end regulation. :bow:  I may actually rewatch these via extended highlights later in the week. 

They should keep the current OT rules for the regular season but change it to playing out the entire 10min in the playoffs. I know people can say DEF is part of the game and if you can’t stop them then it’s on you but when all the rules have been changed to benefit the offense that argument doesn’t hold up anymore.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, League_Champion said:

The playoffs should be a whole quarter of OT. Old school 

That might be a change I could live with. But college OT is a joke and not real football.

Don't really think the current OT system needs to change, as BJ pointed out a FG on the first possession no longer wins, which was a lot easier than scoring a TD. That was a long overdue change. We don't need to keep tweaking rules (# of teams, playoff teams, etc) every few years. I feel like more things are changing in pro sports these days than when I was younger.

Maybe teams should learn to play defense if they don't want a coin toss to decide OT. Both BUF and KC just fell apart at the end, giving up score after score. A FG in 13 seconds with one timeout?  That's horrible defense. 

PS  Even a full 10min OT period could be eaten up by one team scoring. You might need to play 15min with no sudden death. But then, what if its a tie after that one OT, each team scores maybe twice even. Then another one the same way?  

Edited by stevegrab

10 hours ago, Big John said:

The odds are 51/49 for the side that is showing before the flip.  Gamblers Take Note: The Odds in a Coin Flip Aren't Quite 50/50 | Science | Smithsonian Magazine:nerd: 

I had always called tails and felt it was more lucky. Not sure what side they hold up before the flip. I know they usually show the coin, and may explain "this is heads this is tails", do they flip tails back down? I like how they did it for I think it was the NCAAF title game, each team's logo was on one side and nobody called it. 

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

I can't wait to watch that game again. 

The whole thing?  Probably on NFLN if you have it. I just do YouTube highlights, usually up hours after the game. I could spend an hour watching them Sunday before the first game and enjoy it far more than any pre-game show. 

37 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The whole thing?  Probably on NFLN if you have it. I just do YouTube highlights, usually up hours after the game. I could spend an hour watching them Sunday before the first game and enjoy it far more than any pre-game show. 

Naa, probably the 4th quarter and OT. I feel like that was the Superbowl

I didn't notice this last night, and forgot the rules....OT is a full length quarter in playoffs, 15 minutes, not 10 like in the regular season. (Noticed it when looking at the box score, the winning TD was scored at 10:45 of OT.)

I think that is done to prevent one long drive for a FG then the other team has almost no time left. I know they shortened OT to 10min claiming player safety and competitive balance, but it was more about preventing a late running game from impacting the next TV slot. Which only applies to maybe have the games each week (the early game on the DH network). Having an extended (potentially double or triple OT if there is no sudden death component) OT game that impacts the next playoff slot could happen. The network with the game that is starting would lose viewers until the other game ended. (Or you build in more gap between games, its currently 3.5 hour from one game to the next, not much more than regular season.)

7 hours ago, Finn5033 said:

They should keep the current OT rules for the regular season but change it to playing out the entire 10min in the playoffs. I know people can say DEF is part of the game and if you can’t stop them then it’s on you but when all the rules have been changed to benefit the offense that argument doesn’t hold up anymore.

I knew there was another reason and I couldn't articulate it. Seems disingenuous to promote the offense, protect QB's obsessively and then act like it should come down to a coin toss and  defense when we all know it's something else.