[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton, done as Saints' HC?

irish

Can anybody make sense of Hills guaranteed money from this contract?  Is it really that full 21.5M, or is more like 10M?

https://overthecap.com/player/taysom-hill/6047/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/taysom-hill-22021/

Both show 10.1M guaranteed at signing, but show 21.5M as total guaranteed. Presumably that means about 10M of the total was not guaranteed at signing, but kicked in at some other time (which may have passed), 

27 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Can anybody make sense of Hills guaranteed money from this contract?  Is it really that full 21.5M, or is more like 10M?

https://overthecap.com/player/taysom-hill/6047/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/taysom-hill-22021/

Both show 10.1M guaranteed at signing, but show 21.5M as total guaranteed. Presumably that means about 10M of the total was not guaranteed at signing, but kicked in at some other time (which may have passed), 

They're basically paying him what they would pay a top TE. But the value in that is the fact that he plays and is very proficient at 6 different positions; TE, WR, RB, FB, ST & QB.

Edit: This video breaks it down pretty well with exception to discussing the voidable years.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

They're basically paying him what they would pay a top TE. But the value in that is the fact that he plays and is very proficient at 6 different positions; TE, WR, RB, FB, ST & QB.

Edit: This video breaks it down pretty well with exception to discussing the voidable years.

You love yourself some Taysom. It's almost a Steve/Baker type deal. 

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

You love yourself some Taysom.

I like Taysom for what he does, but I wouldn't say I love him. I think he's a great player and worth the pay, but I think I'd prefer the Saints to move away from trying to let him play starting QB because he could get on the field more that way. That said, I think he's also shown flashes at QB. I just don't trust him to stay healthy, especially given a big part of his success is running the ball and being physical doing it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Great player? You're not serious are you? He's a nice little gimmick type player who really doesn't have a true fit. He should thank God everytime he checks his bank statement. 

Ok :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Seriously, you're telling me he's great? Mahomes is great, Brady and Rodgers are great. Taysom is a backup QB at best. C'mon Rajn. 

I'm not going to play semantics with you. You don't like him, I don't care. I think it's pretty easy to figure out what I feel about him as a player & if you think I'm trying to compare him with a Brady, Mahommes or Rodgers, or anything close for that matter, then you're not paying any attention whatsoever and just looking to argue for the sake of arguing. 

• Thanks 1

Looking down the road... IF Payton decides to come back to coaching next year and wants to sign with another team, what do you think the compensation would be?

The Raiders got two first-round picks, two second-round picks and $8 million for Gruden & Payton is way better than Gruden. The Jets got a 1st, 4th & 7th in exchange for a 5th & 7th, but Belichick obviously was mostly an unknown commodity at the time as a head coach other than a stint with the Browns that ended in utter failure.

I just read another interesting tidbit regarding Payton's contract. The Saints don't just own his rights for the next three years, they own his rights for the next three coaching years. So, it doesn't matter if he sits out 5 years, a team would still have to trade with the Saints for his rights.

Disclaimer: I don't know if that's actually true or not, I just saw it posted on the Saints board by a few people. I haven't been able to find any confirmation on that.

Edited by rajncajn

7 hours ago, rajncajn said:

& Payton is way better than Gruden. 

:lol:

They are the same guy.  I can see how as a fan of one of the teams, you'd think he's the cat's meow but really he's an excellent coach who had  a HOF QB who retired.  Gruden on the OTH made a journeyman QB into a SB winner.  Payton rode Brees to  SB and quit after Drew left.  More I think about it, they aren't even in the same class

11 minutes ago, Zooty said:

:lol:

They are the same guy.  I can see how as a fan of one of the teams, you'd think he's the cat's meow but really he's an excellent coach who had  a HOF QB who retired.  Gruden on the OTH made a journeyman QB into a SB winner.  Payton rode Brees to  SB and quit after Drew left.  More I think about it, they aren't even in the same class

the-dude-yeah-well-you-know-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif.4af7b760ddc6004e8c1998dcb891a807.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1