[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sean Payton, done as Saints' HC?

irish

12 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

As for replacements, I think the obvious choice would be Dennis Allen. If they bring someone from outside then I wouldn't mind Flores.

I've heard that Dennis Allen is the guy. 

2 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Heard a rumor on NFL radio yesterday that he may be Joe Buck's new sidekick, with Aikman moving on to join Al Michaels.  

That's an interesting rumor. I had heard there was a good chance that Al retires after this year going out with NBC calling the SB. Then Mike Tirico would step in to fill his place alongside Collinsworth. 

Al is 77, Cris is 62. Al's contract is up after this year, and there is some rumor he'll be signed by Amazon to do the TNF games that they will now control and broadcast. Cris contract is also up, but lots of talk that he is working on a new deal to stay with NBC for several more years. Maybe Aikman would join Al at Amazon, they want big names to appear to be real players in NFL broadcasting. (Similar to when Fox got the NFL and went after top talent from CBS in Summerall/Madden.)

On 1/24/2022 at 8:35 AM, rajncajn said:

Basically, this whole thing boils down to Payton being on vacation and not talking to reporters, which he does every off-season prior to the senior bowl, so reporters say that Payton is not committed to coach the Saints.

I have basically advised everyone to pay attention when Rajn posts, but I will need to take away that recommendation and pass it on to someone else.

4 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

I have basically advised everyone to pay attention when Rajn posts, but I will need to take away that recommendation and pass it on to someone else.

:irishwink:

8 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Thank you. The pressure was unbearable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another FYI:

The Saints own Payton's rights for the next 4 years and the contract only voids compensation when he leaves. So, even if he wanted to go to another team after a 1-year hiatus, that team would have to trade with the Saints for his rights.

According to Payton, neither he, nor his agent has spoken with anyone about another position after the Saints, so those rumors are likely untrue. He did say that he'd be interested in a media job, but hasn't been approached about it. He also said that he may decide down the road to get back into coaching, but right now his heart is not in it.

4 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Hate to see it,  but I don't blame him. These last several years have obviously taken their toll. Certainly going to miss him on the sideline,  but hope he takes a network job. I still don't think he's leaving to go to another team, but whatever he does I'll always be appreciative for what he did for the Saints and the fans. I just think he's burned out as a coach and having to deal with the NFL organization. When he quit the competition committee I guess we should have seen the writing on the wall. I'd really love to see him put out a tell all book.

That's an interesting point about the competition committee. I had kind of forgotten about it but he did seem unusually "f it" type attitude at the time. Might have been a sign that he was checking out. He seems young, and he is, but he has coached a lot of football and had some really manurety losses recently. The Minneapolis Miracle and then the egregious no call in the NFC championship game. To this day one of the worst no calls in history. Those are some tough ways to lose a football game and not really through any fault of his. But you never know totally what is stressful or is not. Some Bucs player said today there was a lot of internal strife this year with the Bucs and we didn't hear that much about it. And maybe that is partly what's causing Brady to consider retirement too. Some of these situations are like marriages, it's hard to know exactly what is going on unless you are in it. 

9 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

You've been dreaming big for the past 25+ years. Keep dreaming...

So true, it's all I have left.  

Steamin'A. manure (@ChiefShortWood) Tweeted:
@NFL_Memes Sean Payton when he can't succeed without Drew Brees and he sees the Saints are 70m+ over the cap. https://t.co/PSIXKxdqm4 https://t.co/WG4o4Fs6h5

LMAO!

2 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Did anyone listen to his whole press conference? He didn't sound like someone ready to retire. Someone's going to throw a few draft picks at New Orleans. He's coaching somewhere next season.

Yeah, Dallas!  ;)

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, irish said:

Steamin'A. manure (@ChiefShortWood) Tweeted:
@NFL_Memes Sean Payton when he can't succeed without Drew Brees and he sees the Saints are 70m+ over the cap. https://t.co/PSIXKxdqm4

LMAO!

The Saints "cap issues" are just as overblown now as they always have been. 

Edited by rajncajn

36 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Did anyone listen to his whole press conference? He didn't sound like someone ready to retire. Someone's going to throw a few draft picks at New Orleans. He's coaching somewhere next season.

I listened to the whole thing. The general consensus from Saints fans and myself is a feeling of relief. I honestly think he's ready to move on from coaching and even likened his feelings to Dungy & Cower when they left. He genuinely seemed interested in a Network job and said he'd talked to Brees about it last night as well as mentioning it at least two other times during the interview saying that he'd like to try his hand at it. He also spoke a lot about his family and spending more time with them. Also spoke about the things you have to give up as a family in order to do what it takes to be successful.

13 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Word is Sean and his wife are having difficulty and he needed more time to work in his marriage. Network job is like 20% of the time as HC

Stop it with this stupid TMZ/National Enquirer bullmanure. They just got married in June and have been together for several years.

• Thanks 1