[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do NFL OT rules need to be changed?

stevegrab

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

And if the Bills won the coin toss, we could say the same thing against the Chiefs. The truth is the coin toss did matter and was a major factor in deciding if a team goes to the AFC championship game. It worked against the Chiefs a few years back and they complained about it. It shouldn't come down to a coin toss. Yes, defense is a part of the game and both sides should get a chance in opportunities or a time limit.

It didn’t come down to a coin toss.  BUF allowed KC to convert multiple highly improbable plays just to get to OT.  It’’s on them.  

2 minutes ago, Gopher said:

It didn’t come down to a coin toss.  BUF allowed KC to convert multiple highly improbable plays just to get to OT.  It’’s on them.  

Shaft didn't say it came down to the coin toss.  He said it was a major factor.  What he said and what you are saying can both be true. They aren't mutually exclusive.  

If a literal coin toss is that influential in determining winners of post season games, it's worth looking into and considering a change.  

• Like 1

I’m not saying the rule is perfect.  I’m saying it’s WAY better than the prior rule.  I’m saying they’ll never go to the college format in the NFL (or at least it’s highly unlikely…. some abbreviated version of it, MAYBE).  But, most importantly, I just disagree with the sentiment that BUF lost because of the coin toss.  They were hanging on by a thread prior OT.  Then, when they miraculously put themselves in a position where they were basically a 50-to-1 favorite to win, they pissed it down their own leg with 3-4 horrible plays in a row.  They have nobody to blame but themselves, and any player or coach worth a crap would admit as much.  

6 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

They should make touchdowns different points for different teams.  Life isn't fair and neither are touchdowns you whining participation trophy babies.

:rolleyes:  Great analogy.  

2 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Shaft didn't say it came down to the coin toss.  He said it was a major factor.  What he said and what you are saying can both be true. They aren't mutually exclusive.  

If a literal coin toss is that influential in determining winners of post season games, it's worth looking into and considering a change.  

Several people have said as much, or that verbatim.  

13 minutes ago, Gopher said:

:rolleyes:  Great analogy.  

That was obvious hyperbole and sarcasm based on the previous posts from a separate poster that weren't all that enlightening or thoughtful.

Don't make me call you Steve Grab.

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

That was obvious hyperbole and sarcasm based on the previous posts from a separate poster that weren't all that enlightening or thoughtful.

Don't make me call you Steve Grab.

I think I spent too much time at the DMV today.  😩

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, irish said:

Just curious to hear your reasoning, why wouldn't the system that works great in college, work well in the Pros?

It would take forever.  It already takes too long in college; applying it to the pro game would be silly.

59 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I didn't say it came down to a coin toss, just that it was a major factor in the outcome. That's too much luck for an important game. If Buffalo won and KC lost, would you say it's on them? The only difference would be the coin toss at that stage in the game. It's Monday and I already feel like it's Thursday night of the work week, I need to log off. :lol:

32 minutes ago, Shaft said:

I didn't say it came down to a coin toss, just that it was a major factor in the outcome. That's too much luck for an important game. If Buffalo won and KC lost, would you say it's on them? The only difference would be the coin toss at that stage in the game. It's Monday and I already feel like it's Thursday night of the work week, I need to log off. :lol:

Absolutely.  I’d have far more sympathy if they hadn’t given up a tying FG in 12 seconds.  They had the game in their grasp, and gave it away, basically.  

I think the rule is fine for the regular season.  Like I said earlier, when was the last time there was a major complaint about it?  3-4 years ago?    

That said, I would be fine with playing a full quarter in the playoffs.  Or this…. 

“Both teams get the ball. If fg after 1st possession, other team has to score td. If 1st possession leads to td, other team has to go for 2 to win. No ties allowed.”

My brother just texted me that.  Not terrible. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, darin3 said:

It would take forever.  It already takes too long in college; applying it to the pro game would be silly.

But how do we know it would take forever?  Respectfully, I don't agree with that. Some games would be over quicker, others would drag, but that's expected. 

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

Really!?!?  Well, in that case….. 

😂

there is a very high percentage for playoff teams winning the ot coin toss and winning the game (included are some from the old sudden death rule). It is an unearned, unfair advantage

edit:  since the new rules 10-1 ot: won coin toss, won game

Edited by Bier Meister

I think LC already said something similar to this, but if you really want to change the OT rules for the playoffs, make it a hybrid of the NHL and NBA playoff overtimes.  If the game is still tied after a full extra quarter, play another, and keep going until the score is no longer tied after the end of the extra session.

13 hours ago, Gopher said:

Buffalo didn't lose because of the coin toss.  They lost because they couldn't stop Mahomes when he got 44 yards in 13 seconds (which, when you think about it, is next to impossible).  They lost because they gave up 25 yards to Kelce on a play where, if they hold him to anything under 15, the game is likely over (barring a hail mary).  They lost because they kicked it into the endzone on a play where a squib kick almost assures them the win.  And, then, finally, they lost because they couldn't stop Mahomes yet again, or even hold KC to a FG.  Sorry, but they had their chances.  I don't feel bad whatsoever (and I was pulling for them big-time).  Your defense plays that badly, you don't deserve to advance.

Not to detract too much from the original topic, but I don't think that is true. There is no guarantee that a squib kick takes considerable time off the clock. The receiving team can simply catch it and take a knee. The clock doesn't start until they touch it, so at must 1-2 seconds are consumed, nothing more. 

Agree that BUF collapsed on defense both leading to the game tying FG and game winning TD. Like I pointed out in another post they forced KC to punt twice and kick 4 FGs, yet could not stop them when it really counted at the end.

If BUF had won the toss and scored a TD similar to how KC did I would say "KC defense collapsed at the end, like they had done during the final 2 minutes when BUF scored 2 long TDs and a 2P conv."  

A full 15 minute OT would be more fair, but then you're still potentially at a 2nd OT because both teams were scoring at will. So you would need to have a sudden death in place for 2nd OT or it could go on forever. That isn't common in an NFL game, like it is in college. That is why they have their own different OT process. Which I feel is just too full of gimmicks that make it not real football (fixed starting field position, forced to go for 2p conv). Why not have the FG kickers come out and have a shootout. 

11 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

there is a very high percentage for playoff teams winning the ot coin toss and winning the game (included are some from the old sudden death rule). It is an unearned, unfair advantage

edit:  since the new rules 10-1 ot: won coin toss, won game

And in the regular season, it's a whopping 52%.  Sounds like some playoff teams need to step up their game.  

Bottom line... No matter what they change it to (or don't), people are going to cry that it's not fair.  It's a sign of the times we are in.  

I agree that the rule could be improved.  But, on the list of the top ten things wrong with the NFL right now, I'm not even sure it's on there.  And, I'm amazed that this is the topic of discussion, and not the fact that BUF gave up a FG in a situation where it's next to impossible for the opposing team to get that yardage.  It was almost as if BUF was trying to get to OT, even though they had the lead.

Side note... Anybody think it was weird that TEN seemed content with playing for OT, with almost two minutes on the clock (right before the tipped INT)?  I don't know if they literally had that little faith in Tannehill, or what.  But, I've honestly never seen a team so adverse to going into a two-minute drill, in a situation where a FG likely wins the game.  Talk about giving the game away.... As great as this weekend's games were, it also felt like three of the four teams did exactly that (TEN, GB, and BUF).  Great football. Sure.  Great coaching?  Not so much.  

15 minutes ago, Gopher said:

And in the regular season, it's a whopping 52%.  Sounds like some playoff teams need to step up their game.  

Bottom line... No matter what they change it to (or don't), people are going to cry that it's not fair.  It's a sign of the times we are in.  

I agree that the rule could be improved.  But, on the list of the top ten things wrong with the NFL right now, I'm not even sure it's on there.  And, I'm amazed that this is the topic of discussion, and not the fact that BUF gave up a FG in a situation where it's next to impossible for the opposing team to get that yardage.  It was almost as if BUF was trying to get to OT, even though they had the lead.

Side note... Anybody think it was weird that TEN seemed content with playing for OT, with almost two minutes on the clock (right before the tipped INT)?  I don't know if they literally had that little faith in Tannehill, or what.  But, I've honestly never seen a team so adverse to going into a two-minute drill, in a situation where a FG likely wins the game.  Talk about giving the game away.... As great as this weekend's games were, it also felt like three of the four teams did exactly that (TEN, GB, and BUF).  Great football. Sure.  Great coaching?  Not so much.  

7 of those 10 wins were on the first drive.  Were all of those defenses trash?

no.  Likely gassed, but a coin toss put them right back out there. 

games are created with rules to ensure fair play.    Both team should be afforded an offensive (and defensive) opportunity to win.

as is, it is a big disadvantage 

12 hours ago, irish said:

But how do we know it would take forever?  Respectfully, I don't agree with that. Some games would be over quicker, others would drag, but that's expected. 

Because the pro offense would score pretty much every single time if given 4 chances.  Just my opinion.  

• Like 1

FYI 

I started the thread because I was genuinely interested in hearing what real football fans think, after reading the views of a lot of people who clearly don't even follow the NFL in an online discussion. I also figured a separate thread to discuss it is better than it being part of a thread about one specific game. 

I don't remember as much talk when the Chiefs lost under these rules in similar fashion a few years ago, so it seemed odd that some were clamoring for it now (I read just one article, but many comments also supported the need for change). I don't hear the coaches/players on the losing side saying "it wasn't fair", in part because they know the coin toss alone didn't cause them to lose, but several things leading up to that and the lack of defense in OT were also major factors.

I also wanted to gauge how many felt the college OT was the way to go, most people I know who follow only the NFL (including in past discussions in another online community) didn't like the college OT. Seems some here like it, others do not. But either way I doubt the NFL goes to that length. 

Sometimes I just hate the desire by many (including people who are not even fans of the sport) asking for changes. It has increased in the last decade or two compared to my youth (or maybe I pay attention to it more now). I no longer follow MLB much, and I think the changes for wild cards was stupid. Instead of one team now its 2 in each league, but instead of a real playoff with a series of games like everybody else gets first you have a single game playoff before they advance to do what the single wild card always did. Its fabricated and fake, to build more drama and interest (buts in the seats at late season games) and really punishes the team that would have been the sole wild card winner, by first having to face elimination, then if they advance having already had to use players in that extra game. Its like they loved those few times there was a tie and 2 teams had to battle in a single game to advance into the playoffs, so they added that. Similar to the play in games in March Madness.

11 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

7 of those 10 wins were on the first drive.  Were all of those defenses trash?

no.  Likely gassed, but a coin toss put them right back out there. 

games are created with rules to ensure fair play.    Both team should be afforded an offensive (and defensive) opportunity to win.

as is, it is a big disadvantage 

Meh.  It's like the old boxing/MMA adage "Don't leave it up to the judges."  In football, don't let it go to OT.  :shrug:

Again, I don't disagree that the rule could be better.  But, it's light years better than before.  And, the bigger piece, in my opinion, is that BUF screwed themselves.  Was the coin toss a factor?  Sure.  But, not the biggest factor, and not even close.  They had a play where all they had to do was tackle a guy in bounds, and KC is forced to use their last timeout and ultimately throw a hail mary.  They had another play where they just needed to limit KC to 15 yards or less.  Failed miserably at both.  Once those happened, all bets are off.  

It's the equivalent of having a four-point lead in hoops, fouling a three-point shooter to allow the opposing team to tie the game, going to OT, then blaming the refs for losing the game.  You blew it.  The rest is all minor details.  

• Thanks 1