[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

6 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

Should not, or will not? The offers will start pouring in if he's free. 

I read it as the grand jury determined they would not indict, so he will not face any criminal charges.

Now, there could be civil cases and/or NFL suspensions though.

Criminal = enough proof to prosecute (no hard evidence was presented apparently - we would have heard if there was video of a massage session incriminating him)

Civil = more likely than not (all it takes is 1 count - probably hard to walk away from it still)

One is more objective over subjective.

Edited by Riffraff

13 minutes ago, Riffraff said:

Criminal = enough proof to prosecute (no hard evidence was presented apparently - we would have heard if there was video of a massage session incriminating him)

Civil = more likely than not (all it takes is 1 count - probably hard to walk away from it still)

One is more objective over subjective.

Right, what you said, the definition for criminal is beyond reasonable doubt and civil is preponderance of the evidence, i.e. >50% chance. I would think this would reduce his total payout though as he doesn't have the specter of criminal charges. But time is on the plaintiff's side the longer this drags on. Still think this should have gotten resolved early on, I have to imagine the price goes up the longer he waits. 

1 hour ago, League_Champion said:

Welcome to The Eagles Mr. Watson. 

Please no!  The Eagles aren't that smart. 

11 hours ago, Riffraff said:

Carolina and Seattle seem the most logical and logistical at the moment.

Seattle for sure, I don't think the Panthers have enough draft capital to get it done. All they have is (1) first round pick this year, their next pick isn't until the 4th round. They'd have to surrender multiple drafts but who knows, maybe? 

Taking away all the legal issues for the moment and sticking with football: I like the Philly idea. Also Cleveland makes sense if Watson wants to win - or Pittsburgh. I have zero idea what cap space and draft capital they have, though.

Carolina is a slow-rolling dumpster fire so I don't get that angle - their franchise doesn't seem to have a plan. Coach could be fired next year so stability is low.

Seattle is a team/organization on a rebuild, whatever delusions the GM has.

With Philly or Carolina, for that matter, the NFC is a weaker conference so the pathway to a decent playoff run is a bit easier.

As Hawks fan I really hope they don't 'move laterally' on Watson.  I’d prefer to build out the rest of the roster and take fliers on cheaper guys like Minshew than give up the draft picks and cap space Seattle has now.

They out themselves in a good position with a deep QB class next year.  The band-aid has been ripped off with the Wilson trade, now just go full rebuild.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stethant said:

Taking away all the legal issues for the moment and sticking with football: I like the Philly idea. Also Cleveland makes sense if Watson wants to win - or Pittsburgh. I have zero idea what cap space and draft capital they have, though.

Carolina is a slow-rolling dumpster fire so I don't get that angle - their franchise doesn't seem to have a plan. Coach could be fired next year so stability is low.

Seattle is a team/organization on a rebuild, whatever delusions the GM has.

With Philly or Carolina, for that matter, the NFC is a weaker conference so the pathway to a decent playoff run is a bit easier.

I agree with this assessment. I think Philly or Pitt make the most sense.

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

I agree with this assessment. I think Philly or Pitt make the most sense.

Would love him in Pitt.

Sounds like a lot of teams may be interested, according to various rumors. CLE, SEA, CAR, TB. NO listed in one story, which also says TB is interested in Mayfield. 

Also lets not forget that Watson has a no trade clause, so he will have some input on where he goes. 

I found this one part of a story very fitting to the discussion, as many people take teams "having interest" as a clear sign of a potential acquisition

"The accusations against Watson are of a disturbing and serial nature. A team would have to be extremely confident of the situation. The level of interest the Browns or any of these teams truly have in Watson remains to be seen. They do their due diligence on everything, but it doesn't always indicate their level of interest."

It kind of depends on what the NFL investigation shows, but barring something definitively showing that the 20ish women are all in on a money grab (doubtful), I would venture a guess based on past incidents that he’s looking at a 6-8 game suspension.

As we know the lack of enough evidence to bring criminal charges does not mean there was not evidence showing it was more likely than not. But, it also means there may well be some exculpatory evidence (possibly for some but not all of the accusers) that is not publicly known, but could come to light if the civil cases go to trial rather than a settlement.

2 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Because you don't want him in the nfc?

Two-fold.  Hell no I don't want him in the NFC!  But also, after the Cowboys, I following the Steelers pretty closely because of a lifelong friend. 

4 hours ago, Big Country said:

It kind of depends on what the NFL investigation shows, but barring something definitively showing that the 20ish women are all in on a money grab (doubtful), I would venture a guess based on past incidents that he’s looking at a 6-8 game suspension.

As we know the lack of enough evidence to bring criminal charges does not mean there was not evidence showing it was more likely than not. But, it also means there may well be some exculpatory evidence (possibly for some but not all of the accusers) that is not publicly known, but could come to light if the civil cases go to trial rather than a settlement.

Allow me to interpret.  You can be found innocent of said alleged crimes in a criminal court, but still be a creep.  A dude who has a minimum 22 masseuses with criminal complaints is probably a creep.