[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Watson news - won't face criminal charges

darin3

2 hours ago, purplemonster said:

Do you think Seahawks fans are warming to the deal? I thought it was a fair deal for both honestly. Denver has a window they want to take advantage of, and Seattle got some decent returns. 

I think most everyone is happy the drama is over. Russ wanted to cook in 2021, Pete Carroll let him and then he started sucking when defenses figured that out.  Carroll rightly pulled back the reigns and then Russ complained.  Russ wanted to help pick out the new O-coordinator, the Hawks got a McVay guy per Russ's blessing, then he kept complaining.  The magical escape pirouettes that extended plays earlier in his career, are turning into routine sacks of his own doing; and then he outwardly complains about the O-line.  I won't miss the diva stuff that became more apparent in the last couple years. 

I'm conflicted about how the rest of his career may turn out.  I could see him having another elite type 4-5 years; and as a fan I wanted to roll with that option.  But, I did mention earlier on these forums (before the trade) that RW has now had two consecutive O-coordinators where he's been woefully inefficient at using the middle of the field and intermediate pass routes.  It's possible that was primarily play design. .  At a minimum, Wilson is still a very elite deep ball baseball passer whose losing elusiveness. His ability/willingness to throw intermediate slants in the middle, while standing in the pocket may be the primary factor in his future success.  

I certainly understand why Bronco fans are excited; but he's still probably the 3rd best QB in that division.  The talk about winning 3-4 more SB's and playing 12 years is just how's he is wired; but that almost certainly isn't going to be reality .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

I certainly understand why Bronco fans are excited; but he's still probably the 3rd best QB in that division.  The talk about winning 3-4 more SB's and playing 12 years is just how's he is wired; but that almost certainly isn't going to be reality

That wasn't your tune a couple weeks ago. Two weeks ago he was that greatest thing since Jesus and untradable. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, League_Champion said:

That wasn't your tune a couple weeks ago. Two weeks ago he was that greatest thing since Jesus and untradable. 

You can certainly exaggerate and hyperbole well.

You are still right though, two weeks ago I didn't state that RW was likely the 3rd best QB in his division.  Of course at that point, his division didn't have Mahomes and Herbert in it.   My "take" on a potential trade was that they had better get a lot more than the Lions did for Stafford. 

I also just stated that 4-5 years of elite play is a possibility and that's what I preferred Seattle rolled with. 

Someone asked me to state a general feeling of Seattle fans towards the trade, so I answered it with that in mind.    

Polishing truck nuts apparently decreases reading comprehension. 

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 3/18/2022 at 9:24 PM, loaf said:

I'm not a Watson fan only because of those 22 allegations. But the talent is undeniable. And it's not like the Browns did much with their picks anyways. Use them for a proven commodity instead of swinging and missing

Really?  Garret, Chubb, Ward, Neswome, JOK, Wills, etc.   The Browns have done pretty well with the draft lately. Baker turns out not to be the best choice at that slot, but wasn't a complete bust like some other QBs taken in that draft. 

The negative backlash is already going here in Cleveland, and they haven't even bothered to actually put out a press release announcing the trade themselves.

There was some BS in one article I read that since Dee Haslam (technically co-owner with Jimmy) is on some NFL committee about conduct they have surely done their research on Watson and are certain that something like this won't happen again. Really how are they sure of that? Because Watson promised he'll be good? 

Also as I thought, it appears the Browns panicked after Mayfield asked to be traded, and went back to Texans/Watson to sweeten their offer. Considering they were eliminated from consideration and then suddenly got him with this monster contract and big haul for the Texans that makes a lot of sense. More proof of their incompetence generating a situation in which they now had to make a bigger push to acquire somebody of questionable character who is going to miss some games and hope he doesn't screw up again. 

22 hours ago, League_Champion said:

All will be forgotten when they see how talented the Man is. 

DUH I've watched him play, I know he's talented. I also know he's an idiot, and probably a rapist. But clearly those things don't matter to sports fans like you. Would you let your daughter/wife/sister give him a message? 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

DUH I've watched him play, I know he's talented. I also know he's an idiot, and probably a rapist. But clearly those things don't matter to sports fans like you. Would you let your daughter/wife/sister give him a message? 

My Daughter would be smart enough to go to the Police immediately, if I didn't kill him first. 

On 3/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, League_Champion said:

My Daughter would be smart enough to go to the Police immediately, if I didn't kill him first. 

This is going to be one aspect of the problem with Watson in Cleveland. There will be a lot of Browns fans who will be asked to root for a guy who, if he had behaved as alleged towards any of their wives/daughters/sisters, they would have gladly taken care of him with a few of their friends.

7 minutes ago, stethant said:

This is going to be one aspect of the problem with Watson in Cleveland. There will be a lot of Browns fans who will be asked to root for a guy who, if he had behaved as alleged towards any of their wives/daughters/sisters, they would have gladly taken care of him with a few of their friends.

100% 

9 minutes ago, stethant said:

One of the DJs this morning was talking about it, and how she has a hard time being a fan now. A co-worker (male 40s big time sports fan 2 young kids) told me he's "not a fan of Watson, cannot support people with character issues".

Winning may change that, or at least make it more acceptable. 

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

I don't disagree but Ben was accused of multiple rapes... Which is way worse than just being creepy. 

Yet they love him. 

Does Cleveland simply have a better class of people than Pittsburgh? 

I know you won't see this, maybe somebody can quote it so you do...

Those are pretty different situations, put simply Ben was already a Steeler icon and 2 time SB winner when the rape allegations started. Steelers drafted Ben in 2004, he went 13-0 as a starter and won a playoff game, then went 9-3 and won a SB in his 2nd year.  And he won another SB following the 2008 season, again still before he has his first rape allegation in summer of 2009. The motorcycle accident where he's lucky he didn't kill himself was in 2006, after the first title, and the rape allegations after 5 seasons and 2 SB titles. There were also people in one of the cases who came forward in sworn statements saying that the alleged victim was doing all this to make money and told her she had consensual sex with Ben.  

Watson was not drafted by the Browns, and has done nothing for the team yet, but comes with a ton of baggage, cost a lot in draft picks and guaranteed salary. 

Also while the fans love Ben for what he did, there was also negative backlash after the rape allegations, including the owner being furious and some of Ben's endorsement deals falling thru. And following the second incident he was suspended for 6 games. This was over 10 years ago, I doubt the suspension is less for Watson. 

Would you have liked Watson instead of Russell Wilson?  He is younger and at least as talented, so better long term? 

9 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

Of course not, he's part of the Factory of Sadness now. 

The Browns were scheduled to have a press conference tomorrow to introduce him, I'm sure they'll downplay any potential legal troubles, suspensions and concerns anybody has that this guy is now the face of the franchise. I see the linked article says the plans are not yet final, and I suspect this hiccup could postpone them.

The Browns will have a press conference today at 1PM, several media outlets will carry it. Present will be GM Andrew Berry, coach Kevin Stefanski and Watson. The Haslams will not be there, but will have a zoom conference later in the day (3PM?) to talk to the media. Not sure why they couldn't be there in person for such a major signing, especially one they were so heavily involved in and are in favor of (if not a driving force behind it). Seems odd, or maybe I just don't trust Slippery Jimmy. 

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

The Browns will have a press conference today at 1PM, several media outlets will carry it. Present will be GM Andrew Berry, coach Kevin Stefanski and Watson. The Haslams will not be there, but will have a zoom conference later in the day (3PM?) to talk to the media. Not sure why they couldn't be there in person for such a major signing, especially one they were so heavily involved in and are in favor of (if not a driving force behind it). Seems odd, or maybe I just don't trust Slippery Jimmy. 

It's all political posturing. It's probably a bad look to be aligned publicly with a possible serial creep. 

1 minute ago, League_Champion said:

It's all political posturing. It's probably a bad look to be aligned publicly with a possible serial creep. 

If that works people are a lot dumber than I thought. They own the team, they were part of the hiring process, Dee personally vouched for him and promised that he won't be a creep again. (Maybe she meant he won't get accused again.) How can they now distance themselves from him by simply not appearing with him. 

1 minute ago, Finn5033 said:

He’s either a liar, or completely dillusional. If it is ever proven that all of these women are lying I’ll admit I was wrong. Until then I have a hard time believing him.

There's definitely something there but who knows what. At the very least he's in some way a horny perv, but I'm not ready to call him a serial rapist like others. 

24 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

There's definitely something there but who knows what. At the very least he's in some way a horny perv, but I'm not ready to call him a serial rapist like others. 

No I’m not either. I’m more the he’s just a creep side. But the whole thing looks bad

I just wish one person in the organization would admit "being good at football outweighs concerns we have about your character".  Just be friggin honest with your consumers. Spare us all the "we did our investigation, he's clean, he didn't do anything he will never do anything". 

If I were at the Haslam presser I would ask "Why weren't you there for the Watson press conference, after being so heavily involved in the decision?" 

According to info from the presser they have been at this for 5 months now, which means they started in mid November. 

16 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Spare us all the "we did our investigation, he's clean, he didn't do anything he will never do anything". 

If I were at the Haslam presser I would ask "Why weren't you there for the Watson press conference, after being so heavily involved in the decision?" 

According to info from the presser they have been at this for 5 months now, which means they started in mid November. 

What more do they need to do? Two different Grand Juries decided not to indict him. What more do you want? 

48 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

What more do they need to do? Two different Grand Juries decided not to indict him. What more do you want? 

12 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

Two grand juries seems like double jeopardy?

A grand jury doesn't apply to double jeopardy. Double jeopardy is being charged twice for the same offense. A grand jury decides if a formal charge should occur (i.e. indictment). If one grand jury decides to not indict (i.e. formal charge), it doesn't stop it from being reviewed again by another grand jury. A prosecutor can comeback with more evidence and try again. Goodness I sound like Big John! :lol: 

And now back to our regular scheduled programming. 

• Thanks 1